Forum Index > Trip Reports > Summerland, MRNP 9/03/03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Sep 03, 2003 4:02 pm 
Today was an odd day for me, tommorow is Ford's first day of school, and I am not ready to let him go by any means. So our hike today was one where we didn't talk much. I choose Summerland simply because we hadn't been there before, and with Ford going to school, our hiking time will majorly reduce to just the weekends. It has been an awesome summer with him... bawl.gif bawl.gif Ok, I'm losing it! Back to the story: What a difference one weekend makes for crowds. The hike up was ok, I'm not a huge fan of trees, but they were very pretty woods for the most part-I just like to see where I am going. Being above treeline is my favorite simply. Though once it did finally break through the trees it was nice, with ample huckleberries for the eating. The meadows are pretty up there, but......I have to say I prefer Sunrise (and the fact that I don't have to hike over 3 miles to get to the meadows!) Enjoyed my time up there though with Ford. We headed back down, crossed the bridge over Frying Pan Creek, came around a bend-straight into a black bear eating berries. Sarbar's reaction was eek.gif but, the bear was a cutie and not at all aggresive-he tried so hard to hide in the huckleberry bushes lol.gif but you could see him. I've seen numerous bears, but I hadn't blundered into any on the trail. I swear my heart jujmped and stopped while in the back of my brain I tried to recall the words o' wisdom on what to do lol.gif I swallowed my fear and we zipped by him on the trail while singing Good Bear, Good Bear and hugging the edge of the trail. The bugger sat there and watched us and I snuck a peek over while passing. Such eyes-wow, they were so pretty. Nuff to say, I still love bears even when I am less than 3 ft. away and I love the Mts.! No photos....I decided getting by the bear was way more important than photos...oh well! Fair warning: Biting gnatty bugs in the forested areas. No flowers left. Boring woods. Cool wildlife!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message