Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > secret places
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Sep 02, 2003 6:01 pm 
Um, to pay for the gravel in the parking lot, the grading on the road, the cleaning of the toilets, and the maintaining of the trail?

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
obxcola

obxcola
PostTue Sep 02, 2003 8:32 pm 
Don't Ask, Don't Tell
This has been a fascinating discussion. I am just this past 5 minutes a "newbie" to this board, and came here frankly trolling for info ( though not about secret spots, just trying to avoid wasting a cross country trip by making poor choices). I certainly won't presume to preach to y'all about your regional turf. I would like to share what I understand about the same basic issue in the extremely pressure sensitive 4 corners region of the Southwest. Not only is this high desert region very vulnerable to damage from the slightest human impact, it is also stuffed with equally vulnerable and quite un-protected ancient puebloan archeological/cultural sites scattered about the backcountry. The only thing saving most of this stuff is that the country is remote (sorta/relatively) very difficult (positively), and the sites (though there's lots of em) are relatively difficult to locate without lots of practice and experience in where and how to look. I used to think the local attitude in this region was unbelievably prissy, stuck-up and obnoxious ( kinda like new moms with the first-born prince or princess) ( and I gotta tell you I will never practice "smearing") but after awhile I came to understand the process at work. The "rule" is this: Don't Ask, Don't Tell What I've come to understand it means is this. The people who are really interested will figure it out, and along the way they will come to understand the threat THEY pose, and therefore be all the more responsible and respectful about the experiences they are fortunate to have. Though I must also sadly add that 750 year old "secret" sites visited just 5 or 6 years ago that were littered with relics and pot-sherds, etc. have begun to show serious degradation in that brief a period, and more limited and controlled access is probably coming.

hikermike

hikermike
PostTue Sep 02, 2003 11:09 pm 
Good advice and it's actually "so true".

hikermike

hikermike
PostTue Sep 02, 2003 11:10 pm 
By the way, what trip were you thinking of, there are those here who could help you!

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Sep 02, 2003 11:48 pm 
Quote:
MtnGoat dodged my question by CHANGING the scenario. The scenario is clear. Since the subject of publicizing information came up, yet again today in the Crawford - Tanks thread, I would like to hear a response to the question I posed above, from one of you that knows the rules.
If I didn't answer it in a way you are interested in or you intended, that's one thing, I hardly think you're in a position to decide I'm "dodging" your question. I'm not sure exactly how you feel I changed the scenario. It's not a pristine area, it is in guidebooks, there's no way to tell if a report you posted added to the impacts there. If you're looking for a specific answer to your question "is it OK?" from the exact wording of your question, for me, the answer would be "yes" because the area is already well used and well documented. Is that what you were looking for?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
polarbear

polarbear
PostTue Sep 02, 2003 11:51 pm 
Quote:
You guys, Americans are getting lazier and fatter as the years go by. People are spending more time inside than they ever have. Do you really think the prestine areas of Washington are a threat if they are advertised on TV or books and mags?
Good point. No one ever answered my question on whether the present hiking popularity is a flash in the pan or here to stay. Will it be back to olestra potato chips and the boob tube 5 years from now?

Bob K

Bob K
PostWed Sep 03, 2003 12:10 am 
flash in the pan? i've been surprised at how *uncrowded* it has been this year on the weekends. maybe it's the economy? or everyone's knees are getting too old? or is it because the mariners don't totally suck anymore? don't know what it is, but i'm not complaining.

PostWed Sep 03, 2003 6:34 am 
Quote:
If I didn't answer it in a way you are interested in or you intended, that's one thing, I hardly think you're in a position to decide I'm "dodging" your question.
What are you talking about? You don't think I'm in a postion to decide whether YOU responded to the scenario I wrote? YOU said
Quote:
you have a situation where you may have spurred a visit but it's difficult to tell. I can't say if it's OK or not OK, because the variables of
Wrong. Where in MY scenario did I leave it open for you to SUPPOSE that MAYBE I spurred them to go? In the scenario I spurred them to go with a photo or TR or a comment. NOT A GUIDEBOOK. And I, indirectly caused new damage to an area that already had damage, by way of a new camp in meadows that had not been camped on. So now that we have that cleared up, thank you for answering the question. To you, its ok to indirectly cause damage popular areas, but not unpopular ones.
Quote:
the answer would be "yes" because the area is already well used and well documented.

troutman

troutman
PostWed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 am 
New bivy spots
It seems like people who are skilled enough to find a new bivy location in a prestine area is also likely to make the bivy spot established so other campers know to use the one available rather than try and make a new one. Chances are, it will have a flat spot for a small tent or bivy sacks and a trail to the water. If the original party decided to have a fire, they established a ring for other people to use. Granted, over time the ring will evolve or relocate which can have a large impact on the area but if the original party establishes everything properly from the beginning, there is a better chance for the area to remain prestine. It is up to us to decide if the camping area is suitable for our needs. Maybe the bivy site needs excavating because a party thought the flat spot was too rocky and not wind protected enough. Maybe the fire ring is too small for a white man fire. I don't see a problem with establishing new campsites if the impact is minimal in the beginning. As it becomes more accessable and more used it will impact the surrounding areas but that is inevitable(sp?)

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Sep 03, 2003 4:00 pm 
Quote:
What are you talking about? You don't think I'm in a postion to decide whether YOU responded to the scenario I wrote?
Not at all. That's not what I said. I said you weren't in a position to decide wether I was dodging the question, in effect, attempting to elude a straight answer with full intent of evasion. That you make an answer you don't like or that didn't answer as intended, into an intimation of evasion (dodging) is kind of insulting.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers

PostWed Sep 03, 2003 5:23 pm 
Quote:
That's not what I said. I said you weren't in a position to decide wether I was dodging the question, in effect, attempting to elude a straight answer with full intent of evasion. That you make an answer you don't like or that didn't answer as intended, into an intimation of evasion (dodging) is kind of insulting
Buck up. I think you are a big enough boy and can handle my saying you dodged a question. Whether you intended to or not. You did. I guess I don't understand what is so difficult to comprehend? I asked a straight forward question (at about a 3rd grade level), and you gave anything but a straight forward answer. YOU obviously don't care what my point is. I think we are ALL hypocritical when it comes to issue of information and impact. I know damn well I am. You don't care if an already impacted are receives more impact. You (eventually) answered my question regarding that, and said yes. So I guess that excludes you from being hypocritical.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Sep 06, 2003 7:06 pm 
rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Sep 06, 2003 7:24 pm 
I dont know, I've been as guilty of confrontation on this site as anyone. This topic is dear to many hearts, including mine. I cant help but feel that most people here will take/exercise some care while in the back country. I will not not go someplace because of someone's perception of frailty, or fear of impact. I'm careful and respectful everywhere I go. Ultimately it's my responsibility to take proper care. I do, I hope most will too. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
polarbear

polarbear
PostSat Sep 06, 2003 11:06 pm 
This thread about sums it up. It is time to ban registered posters lol.gif moon.gif It will be hard to agree on secret places, but I think we all cringe when a favorite place gets blasted over the tv or when a large resort goes into a gateway to an area we like. However, I was up at Ingalls Lake today and was surprised by the lack of people for a sunny Saturday in early September huh.gif Maybe the kind of people that see something on tv are likely to just stay plugged in front of the tv?

Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostSat Sep 06, 2003 11:57 pm 
polarbear wrote:
However, I was up at Ingalls Lake today and was surprised by the lack of people for a sunny Saturday in early September huh.gif
You know.....you're killing me! hockeygrin.gif BW

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu