Forum Index > Trip Reports > Ingalls Lake, 9/6/03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Sep 07, 2003 10:58 am 
I met Dale at the McDonald's in Issaquah and we then drove to Cle Elum where we found Troy, parked in front of the bakery, where we finalized our plans. We reached the Ingalls Lake trailhead at about 10:00 and started up. Dale and Troy hadn't been there before. "Are you sure you know where you're going?" "Of course," I said. "This is my fifth time to Ingalls Lake." A couple minutes later it was Dale that pointed out that I had just walked by the sign pointing to the cutoff to Ingalls Lake huh.gif Well, if you are hiking with others, the route finding responsibility is shared, right? I just have this tendency to stare at my boots when I hike sometimes and miss the important signs. Ingalls Lake is a great trail for the kind of scenery it goes through, views up and down the valley, orange-red mountains against a blue sky backdrop. Dale and Troy were impressed with the scenery and even more so when we crested the saddle to views of Mt. Stuart. At last we reached the lake, one of my favorite places and sat down on the shore. As usual, I knew my 30 second lunch I'd thrown together hastily in the morning wouldn't be enough and I'd have to do some creative sponging. "Hey Dale, is that trail mix very good?" "No" "Well can I try some anyhow?" It was a good lunch. Troy got out his fishing pole and started casting. He caught several fish in a short period of time, than offered me a try. Of course when I cast, it looks like the fly has had a bit too much to drink and it always splashes into the water a few feet away from me, but I manage to catch one of the gullible critters too. After that, we tried circling the lake to the right but ran into some steep rock. We then circled to the left towards the other side. This is one of my favorite lakes for several reasons--the Mt. Stuart backdrop, the surrounding rocks that rim the lake, and the gold and orange colors reflected into the lake by these rocks. The reflections are always changing. Also the lake gets some unique ripples on it created by the wind. Small ripples, large ripples, shimmering ripples. It all adds up to the pefect place. I would rate it an 11 on a scale of 10, but when I asked Dale and Troy what they would rate it they said maybe a 5 or 6 huh.gif This shows you how skewed a fisherman's sense of esthetics can become. They rate lakes low because they are not streams. They rate lakes low because the fish are small. It doesn't make sense. Trust me, this is a great place. We hiked over to a far saddle for views over towards what we thought were Grindstone and Snowgrass, then hiked another quarter turn around the lake and sat down. It sprinkled very lightly for 5 minutes, more neat effects on the lake's placid surface. After awhile, we got up and headed back. By this time I'd talked them into rating the lake an 8, but it had nearly exhausted by persuasive powers. We had no trouble on the return trip, and no one had to point out the right trail to me this time up.gif We stopped at Washington's oldest operating saloon for diinner. It was a great day for a hike (and surprisingly few people on the trail for an early September Saturday).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Sep 07, 2003 11:49 am 
Hey, PB, I can't find my copy of "100...Alpine..." right now, and this lake isn't in the WTA trailguide, so could you give me some of the specs on this hike? Like how far/how much elevation gain? I need to plan 6 backpacking trips of one night each for the next six weeks, and this sounded like a good candidate. (my other choices so far: Yellow Aster Butte tomorrow and Tuesday; 3 days/2 nights to Williams Lake, DMG, La Bohn, etc with 2drx next week; a night spent on Mt Pilchuck lookout; Goat Flat and Three Fingers lookout; and Meadow Lake/Mountain near the White Chuck). After that, I "have" to spend ten days at Kalaloch, only getting to hike maybe four or five days and camp one measley night at Shi-Shi beach! bawl.gif By then, it will be the end of October and I will have to start the off-season of beach hikes and snow-camping. How will I ever cope? shakehead.gif If you have any suggestions that sound better than what I have listed, I would dearly love to hear them. Deciding where to go is my toughest challenge.

polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Sep 07, 2003 1:48 pm 
Here is what it says in my 100 Hikes in the Alpine Lakes 9 miles round trip elevation gain 2600 ft in, 600 ft out high point 6500 ft It's an open trail in the sun most of the way. You can't camp at the lake. There is a campsite area you can descend to maybe 1/2 mile before the lake. I think I saw one mosquito the whole trip so I just put a drop of DEET on the tip of my nose. You might want to do the Spider Meadows hike or Stuart or Colchuck Lakes too.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Sep 07, 2003 2:29 pm 
That sounds doable, although at the high end of my range. Spider I did last year, but Stuart and Colchuck seem like good choices. Thanks. I am starting to panic a little about the end of the season for backpacking approaching, and my list of places that I really wanted to go this year is still considerable. The next six weeks will make or break my year. If I do less than last year, I will feel like I have one foot in the grave and one on a banana peel! After all, at 44 years old I'm almost ready for the glue factory! lol.gif lol.gif

polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Sep 07, 2003 2:50 pm 
Slug, you have probably done alot more hiking than me this year. This is a very doable hike for anyone that's hiked a bit this summer, and the trail is very evenly graded. It's pretty much uphill for the first 3.5 miles and as mentioned, in the sun, so an early start is wise if you are planning on just slugging along. Hiking is alot better than slaving away in the salt mines, especially for a slug. Attached is a scan of a rock I saw. There are alot of colorful rocks in the area to look at when you want to rest at the end of the switchback. up.gif
speckled
speckled

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Sep 07, 2003 3:19 pm 
Thanks for the pic. I need all the excuses I can get for resting after a switchback! While I do go hiking a lot, some folks do in a dayhike more than I do in a three-day trip, so I have to hike oftener (?) just to keep up. I am not kidding about how slow I am. Some of DayhikeMike's one-day trips would take me a week! I still get there eventually. I have made a promise to myself to ride my bicycle this winter to get in decent shape for the beginning of next year, rather than at the end when it is too late. I completely agree with the recent studies that show moving to the suburbs from the city ruins your fitness. I was in much better shape when I lived on Queen Anne hill and rode my bike most places, or walked. Now I live in Lynnwood, and I drive almost everywhere. frown.gif Soft living is my nemesis. At least I've never eaten a deep-fried twinkie! shakehead.gif

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSun Sep 07, 2003 5:52 pm 
Slug, do Ingall's lake. Just go. The elevation isn't at all bad, and there is so much to look at along the way..... Just go!!!!! Headlight basin is one of my all time favorite camp spots, and the lake is just divine.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
salish

salish
PostSun Sep 07, 2003 6:01 pm 
Slug, I agree - do Ingalls. I will be heading up there sometime this month. I've been up there every September for the past four years. My hiking buddy and I even spread some ashes of his dearly departed little bro up there (don't tell the USFS, tho). It was the last place he had hiked. The first 3.5 miles are a little bit of a grind, but the views that constantly open up keep you mesmerized and you don't really notice the elevation gain. Polarbear - neat trip report. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Sep 07, 2003 6:02 pm 
Thanks, JJ. I will take your advice. It does sound very cool. Maybe I'll do Yellow Aster later, and do this one tomorrow! cool.gif

hikermike

hikermike
PostSun Sep 07, 2003 8:41 pm 
You might want to do something over in the Chelan Sawtooth's. Longer hikes but slower elevation gains, particularly good for larchws and poor weather