Forum Index > Trip Reports > Union & Jove, 3/16/08 (ridges of ribs!)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSat Mar 15, 2008 11:20 pm 
This trip report begins with its initial post before the trip. Wildernessed's trip report and photos are here lower down on page 1. Matt's trip report and photos (with ribs) are here on page 2. What, haven’t you ever read a trip report for a trip that hasn’t happened yet? Well, so far, this trip has included two destinations that won’t happen and one that might happen tomorrow. (Please note that this was posted on 3/15.) Overall, it almost makes me miss my old days leading winter scrambles for the Mountaineers. The calendar for the whole season was published in fall. The list of acceptable destinations was pre-established. There were even pre-written meeting times and trip notices. Once published, nothing was supposed to change. The trip must proceed on that day, that time, that destination, that route, regardless of weather or conditions or who showed up. It took all the questions out of the planning. Ah, the simplicity of an immutable trip. Of course, it was also rather inflexible, if conditions or availability changed. This planning for this trip has been a bit more flexible, to the degree of being generally amorphous. So, the first destination that won’t be reported in this trip report is Persindex. I originally discussed the trip with a few friends, but didn’t get it posted it here till Friday morning. At various times, a variety of people seemed interested, but almost all dropped out for an equally varied array of reasons, plus the weather forecast worsened. So this trip report isn’t about Persindex. But that’s okay, I had a backup. Thus, the second destination that won’t be reported in this trip report is Jim Hill. While planning Persindex, two different groups of people indicated they were going to Jim Hill. But again things had changed. As it turned out, neither group was going to Jim Hill any more. So this trip report isn’t about Jim Hill. However, then a different destination arose. Wildernessed proposed Union & Jove, so I’ll meet him and Steve at Smithbrook tomorrow. So this trip report might be about Union & Jove. Tomorrow, the uncertainty will end. We will discover how this potential trip becomes realized in specific concrete actuality. ... Maybe.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSat Mar 15, 2008 11:29 pm 
...and I am commenting about a trip report that has not been written yet. I'm preselecting photo #3 as my favourite right now. Just because I can dizzy.gif

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostSun Mar 16, 2008 6:06 am 
Don't forget your replicator for some tea at the summit...

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Tazz

Tazz
PostSun Mar 16, 2008 6:12 am 
image #5 is the best ...Now don't disappoint me Matt. It WILL be #5 biggrin.gif

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostSun Mar 16, 2008 6:36 am 
#3 and #5 are both dandies, but I really like the contrast and the way he captures the feel of the trip in #9. Very telling. up.gif

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Mar 16, 2008 8:30 pm 
Thanks for the TR Matt. It's unfortunate that the fogbank never really lifted for you. At least you are keeping up your winter conditioning. Way to get after it. That Rob guy can be tough to keep up with.

Yet

Yet
PostSun Mar 16, 2008 8:37 pm 
Your tea looks weak in your summit tea shot.

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSun Mar 16, 2008 8:59 pm 
Wow, just wow ! I am always in awe of life's coincidences. What stroke of luck to meet those two fellows just at that moment, eh? Yet - I think that the tea was weak because Matt switched to herbal. I would have too, given the shenanigans of the day. Good to see you back home, posting. And the more I read your TR, the more I like photo #2 now.

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSun Mar 16, 2008 10:09 pm 
So I've discovered the problem with pre-posting the trip report. If you've already posted a title that lists two peaks, then you have to actually do both of them. When we got to Union, it was cloud-covered, I was already tired of kicking steps in fresh powder covering an icy crust, and the ridge to Jove looked like endless cornices and snow ribs to climb over. But the report said Union and Jove, so we had to go ahead and do Jove. Lucky we did - the snow-plastered trees on top and all the snow ribs on the ridge were new marvels of wind-and-snow creativity to discover.
Long day. Tired now. Full report sometime later. BTW, there is no such thing as herbal tea. Tea is made from tea leaves. Anything else is just weeds and seeds infused in hot water.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostMon Mar 17, 2008 9:02 am 
Where am I?
Matt - you seem conflicted dizzy.gif first you don't know where you're going and then you can't figure out what you're drinking lol.gif It's St. Patrick's Day - have some Green Tea!!! winksmile.gif s.d.

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Mar 17, 2008 12:49 pm 
Union - Jove - Reunion via Smithbrook
Union - Jove - Reunion via Smithbrook
Stats: 10 mi, 3868', 9-10 hr. So Matt, Steve, and I headed out to do Union and Jove, hoping for the weather window that never did open hink.gif . So while there were no views for the most part, and on another day, they would have added to the beauty of the trip, we deviated from the standard route majorly, but the route and local terrain, along with more snow than anticipated made the trip an adventure and a workout stuck.gif . An all day, dayhike. In several sections I had to belay myself up and over drifts (when my weight and 1030's wouldn't let me finesse the edge of some steep slopes / drifts) and coming down from Union's East Ridge I lost my camera bag which rolled all the way down nearly to Smithbrook Rd., we each did some unexpected slides on the way down and finally I self belayed a good section facing the slope until I was able to safely glissade. But as I said, great winter terrain and out with a couple of great guys in the mountains. It was a cold and windy one at times and my camera lens kept icing up, so limited pics, kind of. winksmile.gif Kudos to Matt for kicking in most of the steps.
Smith Brook
Smith Brook
Slope off Nason Ridge
Slope off Nason Ridge
Entering the meadow below (East) of Union Gap
Entering the meadow below (East) of Union Gap
Wintry Meadow. Any signs of breaking weather ?
Wintry Meadow. Any signs of breaking weather ?
Matt gaining momentum up a large snowball.
Matt gaining momentum up a large snowball.
Steve looking for a way forward.
Steve looking for a way forward.
Rising traverse to Union's Southeast ridge.
Rising traverse to Union's Southeast ridge.
Winter is here !
Winter is here !
Wind blown ridge.
Wind blown ridge.
Matt walks the snowy plank into the clouds.
Matt walks the snowy plank into the clouds.
Lots of fresh powder and undulating drifts and cornices.
Lots of fresh powder and undulating drifts and cornices.
Got Snow !
Got Snow !
Snow ridge.
Snow ridge.
Corniced East side of ridge between Union and Jove.
Corniced East side of ridge between Union and Jove.
Climb On !
Climb On !
Plastered tree's near Jove summit.
Plastered tree's near Jove summit.
Plastered tree's.
Plastered tree's.
Plastered tree's.
Plastered tree's.
Matt getting some pics.
Matt getting some pics.
Looking back from the summit area.
Looking back from the summit area.
Union Peak from Jove.
Union Peak from Jove.
Matt and Steve.
Matt and Steve.
Looking back at ridge.
Looking back at ridge.
Steve, Rob, Matt on a very cool and windy summit.
Steve, Rob, Matt on a very cool and windy summit.
Matt with a visible Union Peak and North ridge to Jove.
Matt with a visible Union Peak and North ridge to Jove.
wildernessed going over the top.
wildernessed going over the top.
Matt and wildernessed admiring the trees.
Matt and wildernessed admiring the trees.
Jove Tree Pano
Jove Tree Pano

Living in the Anthropocene
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostMon Mar 17, 2008 12:59 pm 
Hey, too bad I didn't run into you guys. I did an overnight trip in the Lichtenberg area with some folks. Weather was much better on saturday than it was on sunday. Kept waiting for sunday to improve to match the forecast, but it just never happened. Maybe you saw my ski tracks on the road? smile.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Mar 17, 2008 1:03 pm 
dicey wrote:
Hey, too bad I didn't run into you guys. I did an overnight trip in the Lichtenberg area with some folks. Weather was much better on saturday than it was on sunday. Kept waiting for sunday to improve to match the forecast, but it just never happened. Maybe you saw my ski tracks on the road? smile.gif
up.gif That and the three vehicles in the pullout.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Mar 17, 2008 1:13 pm 
Magellan wrote:
Thanks for the TR Matt. It's unfortunate that the fogbank never really lifted for you. At least you are keeping up your winter conditioning. Way to get after it. That Rob guy can be tough to keep up with.
I submit, these guys are too much. Sometimes I feel like an anchor.

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostMon Mar 17, 2008 6:22 pm 
what I love about hikes such as this, is the lack of views. because lack of views forces me to see what I would normally not train my focus on. When the skies are overcast and the fog is low, I see the patterns in the snow, the play of half-light on an exposed side of ice, the footprints of people and animals. It's almost as though I prefer to hike in cloudy conditions, only because nature dances with her seven veils, showing a tree here, a river valley there, perhaps a peak or three in the far distance. Glorious that the three of you got out, even if your summit shot doesn't show that much joy