Forum Index > Trip Reports > Wonderland Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Voyageur

Voyageur
PostTue Sep 09, 2003 7:10 am 
Well I have finely done the Wonderland trail, I have desired to hike it for a long time and was able to get the time off this year to do it. I started out on the 28 Aug. from Longmire, and stayed at south puallup camp the first night. Boy was emerald ridge a hump in the heat. the next day I hiked into golden lakes, and took a pleasent swim after I got there. On the third day I stayed at Mowich Lake, this being labor day weekend it was crowded but i just took it easy and rested up. I then went to carbon river camp via Ipsut pass, it was really a eye full with great views, I got some great pictures. The next day I went to Sunrise camp and picked up my drop. Lots of smoke blowing in from the north east, at one time you could not even see the mountain, all the time all I could think off was barbecue. I then went on to Indian bar, this was the highlight of the trip, great views and many animal sightings including a mama bear and cub, elk, goats and of corse marmots. I love Indian Bar, that valley is awsome, with all the waterfalls, it is just picturesque. The next day I hiked out to Longmire, it was very hot with a dry hot breeze blowing up the canyon, I must have drank four gallons of water that day. The trip was everything that I expected that it would be, I did not receive any blisters or injuries, and I must have lost ten pounds through it all. Now for my next adventure. biggrin.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tsolo

Tsolo
PostTue Sep 09, 2003 10:30 am 
I also completed the WT this summer. Completed as in “finished”, not as in “circumnavigated”, since I actually started it 30+ years ago. Maybe that’s some kind of record… My completion goal started about a year ago, as I hiked a few trails in MRNP that I hadn’t been on before, many of which were part of, or intersected with, the WT. As I talked with a number of WT hikers along the way, I started wondering how much of the whole trail I had done. I figured out I still needed about 22 miles, in 5 separate sections. This required a bicycle ride up the now-closed West Side Road, for a loop hike encompassing the WT section just north of Klapatche Park; an easy hike along the short section (part of it built just recently) between the Summerland trailhead and the White River campground; and three not-so-easy overnight backpacks in order to do Skyscraper Pass to Mystic Lake, the Mowich River to just beyond Golden Lakes, and from Panhandle Gap to Point 5930 just beyond Indian Bar. Having finally seen it all, I agree that the best part (by far) is the section of Summerland/Indian Bar/Point 5930. Other great sections: Emerald Ridge/St. Andrews Park/Klapatche Park; Indian Henry’s Hunting Ground (for a short ˝-mile stretch); and Sunrise/Skyscraper Pass. The rest is pretty average by comparison.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Sep 09, 2003 11:53 am 
Sounds like a great trip. Tons of elevation gain. That's a trip Dante and I have talked about doing soon. What is the shortest realistic time that could be done, in your opinions? TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Voyageur

Voyageur
PostTue Sep 09, 2003 1:59 pm 
I did the trip in 7 days, but could easily have done it in 6, but that depends on your level of fitness and the amount of weight that you carry. I work out regular and it has paid off, I also did not carry a tent, I slept under the stars every night with just a bugnet. My total pack weight with food was about 30 lbs. Although my pack was pretty light for such a trip there was much more that I could have trimed to cut weight. I am always lightening up as I find out new ways to eliminate some equipment with newer and lighter pieces. smile.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Sep 09, 2003 10:36 pm 
didn't I hear that Rubber Legs did it in three days? Or less? Hmm, I commend you on the weight. You did well to keep it down to that considering the food requirements. How was the water availability? TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostTue Sep 09, 2003 10:59 pm 
Yep, the limber Rubberlegs did the Wonderland Trail over the 3-day Labor Day weekend either two or three years ago. He was rather tired after it but loved every moment of it!

Voyageur

Voyageur
PostWed Sep 10, 2003 6:55 am 
I met a pair of young men that were doing the trail in three days on the labor day weekend. They were moving very fast and were carrying full packs. I also met a man that was doing the trail in three days with support from his wife, he was only carrying a fanny pack with a few quarts of water, I met him first on saturday morning just after he started on the way down to south mowich river, I also met him at Granite creek as I was getting water on monday afternoon, he was headed Mowich lake to finish up via spray park. I commend these folks on their ambition but I like to see the sights and enjoy as many of the views as I come to them. I just praise God that I can still get out there and do the things that I enjoy, hopefully I will be able to continue on for many more years. smile.gif

reststep

reststep
PostWed Sep 10, 2003 7:26 am 
Sounds like you had a great trip Voyageur. We were at the other extreme. We did the Wonderland Trail in 1991 in 13 days. That included 2 layover days. It was a very enjoyable trip and except for being misty one evening had good weather. I don't remember water being any problem. We started at Isput Creek and went counter clockwise.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Voyageur

Voyageur
PostWed Sep 10, 2003 10:25 am 
If I had it to do all over again I would start at carbon river and go clockwise. I would also go through spray park rather than over Ipsut pass. Water was never a problem on this trip, except on the ridge from Indian Bar to Nickle creek, I drank 2 to 3 gallons a day because of the heat, let's face it I am a sweat hog when I am packing. biggrin.gif