Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Cascade Pass Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
salish

salish
PostWed Mar 13, 2002 1:49 pm 
I just thought I would pass this along because I found it interesting. Last night I was at my gym working out, and while shooting the breeze with a fellow gym rat that I've known for about three years, I found out that he built the Cascade Pass Trail, in the 1960's. I've never been on this trail, but apparently it runs from near Stehekin to Cascade Pass. He had some very interesting stories to tell about the task. In one area he said they had to use 1/4 sticks of dynamite every few feet in order to clear brush. They had to carry tons of equipment and supplies up in Trapper Nelson packs or WWII vintage combat packs. There were also some interesting stories about wildlife and having to shoot mountain sheep in order to eat. Interesting guy. He's in his mid 70's and in better condition than guys half his age. I just plain admire these folks who were around doing these things in what I call the "golden age", before high tech and Nike's "just do it" slogans were popular. Anyway, it's a small world - here's a guy who has climbed all the mountains and fished many of the lakes I want to hike and fish, and I never would have guessed it. I think I'll have some very interesting conversations at the gym from now on. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message