Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lower Greywolf and the Blowdown of Despair 03/30/08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostSun Mar 30, 2008 11:17 pm 
We set out with the goal of completing two hikes this weekend. On Saturday, 'Dude had to cover the office until 2:30 (thus the plethora of posts by him on Saturday morning). We were on the road by 3 with the goal of trying to summit Mt. Zion because we had also done it on March 29 last year. As we drove up Palo Alto road the big fat drops hitting our windshield turned into big fat snowflakes. The start of FR28 was covered with a few inches of snow but the recent vehicle tracks were bare. The snow quickly became deeper and the falling snowflakes thicker. The deepening snow and low visibility caused us to turn around at the 260 spur road and head home. The falling snow just kept coming down thicker and thicker eek.gif. We stopped to take some pics of some cows in the snow in the Don Schmith Valley and headed home.
FR28 about 1500'
FR28 about 1500'
Don Schmith Valley cows
Don Schmith Valley cows
Snow is tasty
Snow is tasty
On Sunday we thought okay - this is the day. We got our typical early start of around 2:00PM. The weather was pretty much patchy blue skies in Sequim so we were full of optimism. FR28 had two deep vehicles ruts in the snow so we put the Explorer in 4WD and plunged ahead. We made it past where we did Saturday but the snow kept getting deeper and deeper as we rounded each bend. We decided to turn around at spur road 220. As we were turning around two people in a lifted Jeep Cherokee passed heading up the road. We decided we would follow them to see where they went. After another mile the drive train started touching the snow and we decided it wasn't going to happen, but there was no place to turn around. We drove in reverse until the next widening in the road. Of course, on the next bend, the truck slid toward the ditch and got stuck. As we were digging it out the Jeep came back - yeah! Scott and Amanda from Port Townsend helped us dig out the Explorer and conduct a 20 point turn around (very big thanks to them and anyone who is willing to help strangers). We made it back to Palo Alto road without further incident. Well, we had to hike somewhere. So we headed down the Dungeness Road (2880) connected up with 2870 and drove to the Lower Greywolf Trail. This trail is not high on our list of destinations for several reasons: counter elevation, no views, no lakes, etc., but a least we could drive to the TH. The trail was clear but muddy for the first quarter mile and we enjoyed a view of the snowy ridge that leads to Maynard Peak.
The best view of the day!
The best view of the day!
We quickly made it to where the Cat Creek Loop splits off the trail. To avoid confusion, 'Dude made a sign in the snow so we would know which way to go on our way back.
That way! ('Babe did not endorse the inclusion of this picture)
That way! ('Babe did not endorse the inclusion of this picture)
The trail was covered with about 3-4 inches of wet slushy snow from here to where the trail enters the woods and descends to the river. We did encounter one downed tree across the trail but managed to maneuver successfully over it. Phew! Close call there. hockeygrin.gif
Careful 'Babe
Careful 'Babe
About half way to the river we discovered a huge root wad ripped out of the ground next to the trail.
'Dude and his wad
'Dude and his wad
I see you baby, shaking that *ss
I see you baby, shaking that *ss
Up to this point there was plenty of evidence that the trail had received some recent maintenance. As we approached the river, the trail became an agility course: over one log, under the next, around the next, etc. When the trail met the Greywolf we stopped for some pics.
Greywolf River
Greywolf River
We continued on for another quarter mile before we were completely stopped by a massive tangle of downed trees. Since we had plenty of time, we decided to forge on.
Umm, where did the trail go?
Umm, where did the trail go?
After a half hour of trying to go under, around, and through the trees we decided that we had finally given enough effort into a hike worthy of a trip report.
Up and over
Up and over
This is fun, right?
This is fun, right?
Come on whippets, find the route.
Come on whippets, find the route.
We decided to head to the river to see if the way back would be easier.
The only clear route is straight up.
The only clear route is straight up.
Breaking out near the river.
Breaking out near the river.
Lucky for us it was. We followed game trails along the bank until we found the trail again near where it runs along the river. There we conducted the human versus whippet olympics. Watch the following movies and you decide who won. Since we didn't get the most aerobic activity on the way in, we blasted back up to the trailhead as quickly as possible. We arrived back at the SUV wet, muddy, and very happy to have finally found a place to hike. As if the day didn't hold enough drama, we decided to drive up the Dungeness Road to check out the conditions. We made it to the 2860 junction (the way to Gold Creek TH) before we turned around. The snow was about 12" deep at that point.
Dungeness Road (2870) conditions
Dungeness Road (2870) conditions
Total Miles: Too few Elevation Gain: Not enough Total time: Way too short Fun had: Lots!

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun Mar 30, 2008 11:56 pm 
My vote is for Jeremy. (gold medal, buddy!) Guessing that the IOOC will test the whippets and find they're on the juice. wink.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
yukon222

yukon222
PostMon Mar 31, 2008 6:56 am 
1) Hiking with no and/or limited views is still better than not hiking. 2) Rowena, "Dad, can't you make her go faster? We're always having to wait for her." wink.gif clown.gif
Careful 'Babe
Careful 'Babe
3) Jeeps are jeeps, follow at your own peril. I tried a 4WD Jeep trail with my full sized 4WD truck many summers ago. Uhh, long story. Fortunate I got the truck out of those woods. eek.gif 4) Rowena video barely making the double log jump. huh.gif eek.gif up.gif up.gif

mntsun
Wunderer

mntsun
Wunderer
PostMon Mar 31, 2008 7:04 am 
It looks like someone is not drinking enough water huh.gif

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen
PostMon Mar 31, 2008 12:05 pm 
Coordinated stunt whippets in action - do not attempt this at home!

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostMon Mar 31, 2008 12:28 pm 
Whippets all the way!!!! So sorry, Alit-dude, better luck next time. tongue.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
gone

gone
PostMon Mar 31, 2008 4:06 pm 
Dang 'Dude, I do believe that arrow would glow in the dark. Mountainsun's right: more water. embarassedlaugh.gif Love those whippets!

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon Mar 31, 2008 9:02 pm 
thanks for the fun TR. i love the videos! perfect up.gif up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostMon Mar 31, 2008 10:19 pm 
ewb wrote:
Dang 'Dude, I do believe that arrow would glow in the dark. Mountainsun's right: more water. embarassedlaugh.gif
Na, its the all the vitamins 'Babe makes me take. They practically make your pee glow in the dark. You know: B vitamins, vitamin A, C, D, E, K and these little blue pills that she calls my vitamin V (but I never of heard of that one before strange.gif )

Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife
Chippster
Shiver me timbers

Chippster
Shiver me timbers
PostMon Mar 31, 2008 10:47 pm 
Schmidt Alti-Dude wrote:
ewb wrote:
Dang 'Dude, I do believe that arrow would glow in the dark. Mountainsun's right: more water. embarassedlaugh.gif
Na, its the all the vitamins 'Babe makes me take. They practically make your pee glow in the dark. You know: B vitamins, vitamin A, C, D, E, K and these little blue pills that she calls my vitamin V (but I never of heard of that one before strange.gif )
i thought vitamin V was for old people....

https://nwtd.co Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen
PostMon Mar 31, 2008 10:52 pm 
Well, he is 4-1/2 years older than me! tongue.gif

Chippster
Shiver me timbers

Chippster
Shiver me timbers
PostMon Mar 31, 2008 10:54 pm 
wow....i suppse now would be a good time to take a crack at his old age, but hey at least he didnt break a hip jumping over that log tongue.gif

https://nwtd.co Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen
PostMon Mar 31, 2008 10:55 pm 
It was a close call. clown.gif rotf.gif

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostMon Mar 31, 2008 11:29 pm 
Thank God Ranger Rick wasn't there or the whippets might have received speeding tickets. Those suckers can move. up.gif

Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostMon Mar 31, 2008 11:38 pm 
Schmidt Alti-Dude wrote:
ewb wrote:
Vitamin B makes everything neon yellow. I want to see more Whippet tricks!