Forum Index > Food & Grub > .
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ree

ree
PostTue Apr 01, 2008 10:46 am 
Heheh. Yah, I tried the Ronco, and it was a piece of crap. I threw it away with the moldy zucchini. down.gif So I got a Nesco... a 700 watt baby. It's got different temps and a fan on top. So should the pineapple be crispy when it's "done?"

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Apr 01, 2008 11:13 am 
ree wrote:
Heheh. Yah, I tried the Ronco, and it was a piece of crap. I threw it away with the moldy zucchini. down.gif So I got a Nesco... a 700 watt baby. It's got different temps and a fan on top. So should the pineapple be crispy when it's "done?"
Heehee.....had to dig on the Ronco biggrin.gif With home drying you want dry, almost crispy. Some give and flexibility is ok (ie, you can bend it, not snap it). But the super soft fruit we get in stores is due to chemicals, not drying - in other words, when you get apricots that are as soft as fresh, you cannot duplicate that at home - without preservatives the fruit would mold.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostTue Apr 01, 2008 1:40 pm 
so, sarbar, have you ever taken homemade chili (like beans, onions, tomatoes, spices and ground beef - I like buffalo, but that's me), and dried it? I'm trying to do some intelligent planning for my trip to the grand canyon, that will leave my digestive system not overtaxed, but my blood sugar not confused either, and it struck me this could be a good thing, but I don't know how it would do for freezer-bag cooking...

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Apr 01, 2008 1:47 pm 
nuclear_eggset wrote:
so, sarbar, have you ever taken homemade chili (like beans, onions, tomatoes, spices and ground beef - I like buffalo, but that's me), and dried it? I'm trying to do some intelligent planning for my trip to the grand canyon, that will leave my digestive system not overtaxed, but my blood sugar not confused either, and it struck me this could be a good thing, but I don't know how it would do for freezer-bag cooking...
Sure! Works great too smile.gif Just take leftovers after dinner and dry them or make up a whole pot. What I do is take 1 serving of food and dry it per tray. When dry, bag up. It will work for FBC style or you can do it in a pot as well. There are a couple methods for rehydration. I prefer a 1:1 ratio of water/dry food. You can always add more if you need. And then let sit for 15 minutes. Others do the 'cover method' where you cover the dried food with water. This will work for both bag and pot. The third is to figure out how much water came out during drying (ie...1 cup fresh, 1/4 cup dry......) This method makes my head hurt lol.gif Btw, if you look at my dehydrating page, I show how to do spaghetti at home and this is the same way to dry any full meal at home.

nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostTue Apr 01, 2008 2:56 pm 
I'll probably try some dried pasta, but gluten free pasta doesn't microwave or freeze quite the same, so I have a feeling that drying and reconstituting may be even worse. this'll take a non-camping trial run. wink.gif the stick rice noodles work great though, and I don't even have to pre-cook those!

ree

ree
PostTue Apr 01, 2008 3:26 pm 
Ever try drying hummus? I'm curious about trying that. Lowfat protein for the trail. up.gif My glorious new Nesco has all the neato trays.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Apr 01, 2008 3:31 pm 
ree wrote:
Ever try drying hummus? I'm curious about trying that. Lowfat protein for the trail. up.gif My glorious new Nesco has all the neato trays.
Works really well. I make up a triple batch of it in my processor. I leave out the oil though. Spread and dry till well, you know....dry wink.gif It powders up and then store in snack bags. I take like 2 Tbsp dry mix, add 2 Tbsp water and a drizzle of oil, then more water if needed. And yeah, you'll never buy the commercial dried stuff. You can dry packaged hummus, but look for lower fat versions.

ree

ree
PostTue Apr 01, 2008 3:41 pm 
sarbar wrote:
ree wrote:
Works really well. I make up a triple batch of it in my processor. I leave out the oil though. Spread and dry till well, you know....dry wink.gif It powders up and then store in snack bags. I take like 2 Tbsp dry mix, add 2 Tbsp water and a drizzle of oil, then more water if needed. And yeah, you'll never buy the commercial dried stuff. You can dry packaged hummus, but look for lower fat versions.
Well at first when I read your post, I thought "leave out the oil??!!" But now with those fabulous mini packets of olive oil through minimus, no problem!! up.gif If you said leave out the garlic, THEN it'd be a big deal. clown.gif (I make my own hummus using my turbo Champion juicer.) Which leads me to another question... Have you tried dehydrating juice? Is it possible? Or would I have to start dehydrating it now for summer '09 trips?

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Apr 01, 2008 3:49 pm 
I love the little packets of oil and also now organic basalmic vinegar from there up.gif If you haven't tried True Lemon, Lime and Orange powers check them out. Most Safeways and Fred Meyers have them. And yeah, I use way too much garlic. I also like putting onions, oregano and chili powder in my hummus.

nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostTue Apr 01, 2008 6:34 pm 
My husband won't kiss me for something nigh on a day after I make my *real* hummus, just because of the garlic content. Whole Foods actually sells dried hummus in the bulk section. I haven't had it, just noticed it there one day... I imagine that falafel mix would dry well too.