Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > About this "Global Warming" bushwa
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Lono

Lono
PostWed Apr 02, 2008 10:44 am 
Fair enough, but I would counter that Global Warming is too easily co-opted by the deniers, who point to the 3 feet of snow outside their door as evidence that Global Warming is a myth. When you try to point out that Its a Great Big World and there are hundreds of thousands of miles aside from your neck of the woods at risk from the effect of the increase in the mean temperature of the rest of the Earth, they bring out supposed evidence of Global Cooling. That's the real shame, folks unable to look outside their own backyards and see a problem brewing.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gone

gone
PostWed Apr 02, 2008 10:47 am 
Let me see if I've got this right, Malachai Constant. Folks ought not to speak unless you judge them to know what they're talking about, and if they don't come down on your side of an unsettled scientific question they're deniers. Got it. Zealot: One who espouses a cause or pursues an object in an immoderately partisan manner.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Apr 02, 2008 10:50 am 
What the crack up is is the 'denier' label doesn't even really hold water. It is perfectly legitimate to deny what cannot be shown to be factually true. This word is intentionally chosen for it's emotional impact, yet what it reveals about the user is that they are claiming what cannot be shown to be fact, is fact. That's denial of a far more insidious and sad type, as it indicates they are not even using proper logic while claiming to be following science.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Apr 02, 2008 10:56 am 
ewb wrote:
Let me see if I've got this right, Malachai Constant. Folks ought not to speak unless you judge them to know what they're talking about, and if they don't come down on your side of an unsettled scientific question they're deniers. Got it. Zealot: One who espouses a cause or pursues an object in an immoderately partisan manner.
1. Anyone can speak on anything they want. Dave is a special case because he is a professional advocate for a position on gun control (which I tend to agree with). My concern is his credibility. 2. Global Warming is not an unsettled scientific controversy. 3. People who deny global warming are deniers by definition. 4. As far as being partisan is that because I cited John McCain with approval while dissing the Chinese Communist Party?

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Apr 02, 2008 10:58 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
I suggest we start with putting the GW topic off limits, since no minds are changed either way and it always turns to politics.
I haven't seen it turn to politics other than references to Gore. As far as no minds being changed, I suspect you're mistaken about that. The more discussion we've had the more I think people have been able to see the credibility of the arguments, myself included.

gone

gone
PostWed Apr 02, 2008 11:04 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
2. Global Warming is not an unsettled scientific controversy.
Thanks.

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostWed Apr 02, 2008 11:37 am 
Tom wrote:
Dave Workman wrote:
I missed Gore on 60 Minutes. I was working, as I am right now.
Here you go. May be a waste of your time unless you choose to view it with an open mind. http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?id=3980795n
I always look at things with an open mind. You know, like Christmas Eve homicides in Carnation.. Thanks for the link. I'll watch it on my lunch break.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Apr 02, 2008 2:25 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
ewb wrote:
1. Anyone can speak on anything they want. Dave is a special case because he is a professional advocate for a position on gun control (which I tend to agree with). My concern is his credibility. 2. Global Warming is not an unsettled scientific controversy. 3. People who deny global warming are deniers by definition. 4. As far as being partisan is that because I cited John McCain with approval while dissing the Chinese Communist Party?
Is this guy a denier Mal? No credibility? Hmm? In Climate Confusion, noted climatologist Roy Spencer shows that fears about global warming are vastly exaggerated and are driven by politics, not truth.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Apr 02, 2008 2:34 pm 
He seems to indulge in indulge in non scientific thinking in a number of items. "On the subject of Intelligent design, Spencer wrote in 2005, "Twenty years ago, as a PhD scientist, I intensely studied the evolution versus intelligent design controversy for about two years. And finally, despite my previous acceptance of evolutionary theory as 'fact,' I came to the realization that intelligent design, as a theory of origins, is no more religious, and no less scientific, than evolutionism. . . . In the scientific community, I am not alone. There are many fine books out there on the subject. Curiously, most of the books are written by scientists who lost faith in evolution as adults, after they learned how to apply the analytical tools they were taught in college." And yes he is a denier and a member of the Heartland Institute - a right wing think tank. Isn't Google wonderful doh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Apr 02, 2008 4:24 pm 
Al Gore, GW and Chuck Norris. Who would win? My bet is that Chuck would whup them good! What is Chuck's opinion on this climate business? Will the Vikings return to Vinland now that the climate is warming again? I think I need a drink!

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Lono

Lono
PostWed Apr 02, 2008 4:37 pm 
Me, I'm waiting for the first sighting of a grizzly bear along the Sammamish plateau. Should be entertaining.

ASBrauer
Nerd

ASBrauer
Nerd
PostThu Apr 03, 2008 11:01 am 
Toonces wrote:
Vaccinations at Gunpoint in a Brave New Orwellian World
Couldn't help but notice this.....but wasn't Brave New World written by Aldous Huxley? Not George Orwell?

Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostThu Apr 03, 2008 12:02 pm 
Toonces wrote:
Hey Dave your first "source" cited has a BoD filled with Exxon, Amoco and GM execs. rotf.gif Any reason I should bother reading any further? hmmm.gif
The first step of the Scientific Method, IIRC, is "Observe with a questioning mind.". You've already made your mind up, so yeah, I guess there is no reason for you to look at anything else, because it won't matter. /shrug The biggest discoveries of scientists throughout history have been by people who did not just accept the accepted, who looked at things with a questioning mind, skeptical eye, and dared to come up with their own opinion on the matter. If you don't have the capacity to look at new and/or conflicting evidence, and have the possiblity of your opinion changing.... there isn't much hope. Your first opinion on a subject will be your last, and you'll fight for it tooth and nail. Can you think of any scientific theories that have been universally accepted within 20 years of their formation? How about one that were, and haven't been overturned or modified in the ensuing decades and centuries afterwards? --Gray

touron

touron
PostThu Apr 03, 2008 1:10 pm 
Lono wrote:
Me, I'm waiting for the first sighting of a grizzly bear along the Sammamish plateau. Should be entertaining.
If evolution is accurate, look for the grizzly to be driving an H2 with a hemp sack of grubs stowed in the back. hmmm.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Apr 03, 2008 1:43 pm 
Gray wrote:
Toonces wrote:
Hey Dave your first "source" cited has a BoD filled with Exxon, Amoco and GM execs. rotf.gif Any reason I should bother reading any further? hmmm.gif
The first step of the Scientific Method, IIRC, is "Observe with a questioning mind.". You've already made your mind up, so yeah, I guess there is no reason for you to look at anything else, because it won't matter. /shrug The biggest discoveries of scientists throughout history have been by people who did not just accept the accepted, who looked at things with a questioning mind, skeptical eye, and dared to come up with their own opinion on the matter. If you don't have the capacity to look at new and/or conflicting evidence, and have the possiblity of your opinion changing.... there isn't much hope. Your first opinion on a subject will be your last, and you'll fight for it tooth and nail. Can you think of any scientific theories that have been universally accepted within 20 years of their formation? How about one that were, and haven't been overturned or modified in the ensuing decades and centuries afterwards? --Gray
Actually this is a total misstatement of the scientific method. The most commonly accepted steps are observation, hypothesis, prediction and experiment with each step followed by peer review. The observation step is an observation of nature not of statements least of all those posited without peer review. Most of the successful theories that I know of were generally accepted (by scientists) within 20 years including univeral gravitation, Newtons laws of motion, evolution, electromagnetic wave theory, the photoelectric effect, special relativity, general relativity, quantum mechanics etc. None of these theories have been discarded although most refined such as Newtons laws of motion modified by special relativity and universal gravity by general relativity. In each of these cases the modification is related to special cases which were not contemplated at the original. It is folk myth that they laughed at Newton, Darwin, Edison or Einstein each of there scientists were respected and rewarded when they put forth their theories. The theories that have been discarded are those supported by despots such as the biology of Lysenkoand the cosmology of popes. I have left out universal acceptance by the public because that is largely irrelevant.