Forum Index > Trail Talk > 75 Scrambles - equal time
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

PostWed Mar 13, 2002 2:39 pm 
catwoman, you posted in the first Hidden thread that you had some problems with one of the trips in 75 Scrambles. Not trying to stir up more controversy, but I'm curious which one? You wouldn't keep it a secret would you? Can you tell us more?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
catwoman

catwoman
PostWed Mar 13, 2002 4:34 pm 
The Palisades and Marcus Peak at Rainier. Under 'special considerations' is where they would suggest any special gear necessary and there's none recommended for that trip. They just say watch for falling rock on Marcus. Now, we actually didn't even get right up to Marcus because we took a wrong turn and realized which peak Marcus was when we could see it from our alternate destination, but it was quite exposed and vertical. Maybe there are lots of idi..., excuse me - I mean highly self-assured climbers, who would do it without any gear, but it's not worth it to me to take that chance. The exposure alone would be enough to give me vertigo, even if the climbing was easy. But I understand that they say there is no class 5 in the book. I can do class 5, but definitely want protection.

rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostWed Mar 13, 2002 10:21 pm 
I've heard several people whine about the routes in "75 Scrambles". We had a problem with their route on Chiwawa, so I can vouch for at least one route that is suspect. I hear Peggy is working on fixing that.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Mar 14, 2002 12:26 am 
I hate to drift the thread here, but "I can definitely do Class 5?" You and I were just discussing going to Vantage a few weeks ago....and I don't recall that being the case then...so something must have changed...? And for what it's worth, when you are dealing with off-trail "guide" information, it's never that reliable. That's half the fun...! smile.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods

PostThu Mar 14, 2002 6:58 am 
My take on "off trail guide information" is slighly different from allison's. I'd say the info is sometimes reliable, but often subject to interpretation. Oops, there I did it AGAIN. Admitted to reading a.....gasp. Guidebook. eek.gif What kind of a sissy is this Pappy boy anyway. With a name like that I figured he was the kind of guy that you see tottin' a 10lb frying pan, hanging off his pack struggling up some old obscure miners route that hadn't seen a boot since Ike was pres. Now I find out he following someone else's route. shakehead.gif shakehead.gif

catwoman

catwoman
PostThu Mar 14, 2002 8:52 am 
Allison, When you asked me about Vantage, you asked me if I could LEAD because your leading skills were a little rusty, and I said no. I climb but have not yet learned to lead.