Forum Index > Trip Reports > Fresh Cement on Mt. Margaret - 04-13-08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSun Apr 13, 2008 5:04 pm 
Well, since there were very few NW Hikers around for a hike today - because they all were recovering from their trip on Persis yesterday lol.gif a few of us decided to venture out in what was supposed to be an awful day. WRONG! It was a lovely day. Middle E and Brewmaster (Barry and David) met Jim K, Gusto and the driver at the end of the Gold Creek road for an attempt on Mt. Margaret. This would be Barry and David's first trip to Margaret. It was a balmy 41 at the cars and we were in the shade. There was a group of four + dog who left about 20 minutes ahead of us (two snowshoers/two skiers) and then a solo woman with two dogs who left just before we did (we never saw her again and she was gone by the time we got back) - but that was it. No snowmobilers at this popular spot - at least we didn't see any until we returned to the cars - remember, be sure and park to the west of the turn-around sign, because it's illegal to park in the turn around. As we started out, we realized the snow was going to be a struggle as we got into the deeper stuff. The road was fine, because it's so packed down from the snowmobilers, skiers, snowshoers, etc. So, we wondered what kind of conditions there would be as we traveled up the road. Jim K had seen a trip report by Don b talking about leaving the road as soon as you cross the first creek bridge - we thought, why not? dizzy.gif
Just beyond this creek crossing - head up!
Just beyond this creek crossing - head up!
You only go about 50' beyond the bridge, take a left and head UP - follow close to the creek for a while, but then you will veer east when the creek starts heading almost due north. We stayed in the trees for quite a while and when we broke out onto a little opening, we decided to grab some water
First break - getting warm
First break - getting warm
and shed a few clothes, because it was warming up.
A little leg . . . .
A little leg . . . .
Fashion statement
Fashion statement
We basically avoided the "standard" route up the road and opted for a shorter, steeper route through some trees and then up through one of the many clear cuts to make the ridge. We had put our snowshoes on as soon as we left the road. The snow wasn't too bad early - a thin crust on soft, heavy snow. We knew that the snow would turn to "wet cement" by the afternoon on our way down. down.gif Caught some views on our way up to the ridge.
Denny Peak
Denny Peak
Looking across Lake Kecheelus toward Silver and Catherine - culvert in middle of photo
Looking across Lake Kecheelus toward Silver and Catherine - culvert in middle of photo
Looking west heading up clear cut area
Looking west heading up clear cut area
Granite and West Granite over David's left shoulder
2 labels
Granite and West Granite over David's left shoulder
David and Barry heading across clear cut toward trees and ridgeline
David and Barry heading across clear cut toward trees and ridgeline
We crossed one road - likely the one that heads to the back way to Lake Lillian. Barry took a minute for a route check.
Barry still trying to explain route to Gus - Mt. Margaret April 2008
Barry still trying to explain route to Gus - Mt. Margaret April 2008
Here's where we got our first view of the big "R"
Rainier peeking above foothills
Rainier peeking above foothills
We were making good time - and definitely cut a lot of mileage off our usual route - probably cut a total of 2 miles each way.
Jim K and David heading up into trees toward ridge line
Jim K and David heading up into trees toward ridge line
We reached the ridge and started heading north toward the false summit. In the past, there has been a cornice on the south edge of the false summit - so we weren't sure what to expect because there was a lot of snow.
Looking N/NE across Lake Margaret at Mt. Stuart
Looking N/NE across Lake Margaret at Mt. Stuart
We could see the false summit and the actual summit of Margaret just in front of us.
On ridge looking to false summit and the actual summit of Margaret
On ridge looking to false summit and the actual summit of Margaret
Soon, we were just below the cornice and it was HUGE!
Cornice on the south edge of the false summit
Cornice on the south edge of the false summit
The ledge we had crossed a year ago didn't exist today and the tail of the cornice went all the way along the south side of the false summit.
Barry below cornice at Margaret's false summit
Barry below cornice at Margaret's false summit
Barry ventured to the end of the cornice and thought there was a way to make it around the tail, but the big unknown was how solid the snow would be in another hour when we would return from the actual summit - it was getting softer and softer by the minute. We decided to grab our lunch in the sun in front of the cornice and then head back. Spent about a half-hour here.
Gusto eyeing a potential victim
Gusto eyeing a potential victim
David has Gusto's full concentration
David has Gusto's full concentration
Intense interest - another common theme. Mt. Margaret April 2008
Intense interest - another common theme. Mt. Margaret April 2008
On our way down, we ran into the folks who had started out ahead of us earlier - they had opted for the road route (the two skiers were still behind). They agreed about the snow conditions, but said they were going to go and take a look at the cornice and decide if they wanted to go on. They definitely wanted to take our route out to cut the distance on the road. We might have been able to avoid the false summit and just traversed to the actual summit and headed up when we were a little lower on the ridge, but we decided this was good for today. It took us a little under three hours to get to the false summit - our new route probably saved us almost an hour over the standard route. And, indeed, the snow had gotten very, very soft on our way down. The clouds were moving in pretty rapidly, too.
Gus takes a break
Gus takes a break
We basically followed our route up - even threw in a fun little glissade - and plunged stepped down in our snowshoes - often they would get buried in the snow and it would be a struggle to lift up the heavy 'shoe with all that wet snow. One slope was particularly tricky that Barry, the driver and Gusto decided to cross, but David and Jim opted to go around above our route - don't know which was better, but the slope was sliding. We never felt in danger, but the conditions are changing!
Coming down the slop - literally
Coming down the slop - literally
We got a little off-route at the very end of the trip and came out on the road a little farther up then where we had entered the forest - making the road walk a little longer on the way out shakehead.gif bawl.gif We were back to the cars before the rains hit - probably right around 2:00 p.m. We figure about 6 1/2 miles and 3000' of gain today. A much better route, however, than taking the road all that way. Ended up being a great day, mild temperatures and good company. agree.gif up.gif

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Middle E
no more moustache

Middle E
no more moustache
PostSun Apr 13, 2008 5:35 pm 
Sadie's Driver wrote:
A little leg . . . .
A little leg . . . .
Note to self...in the future, avoid avant garde fashion on NW hikes.
Sadie's Driver wrote:
Barry ventured to the end of the cornice and thought there was a way to make it around the tail,...
I did make it around the lower end of the cornice but didn't venture far enough to see whether the route was feasible thereafter. As the driver noted it seemed prudent to turn back at that point...
Snow wall
Snow wall
A few other pics from a fine outing The spring snow was challenging but we had much better weather than expected and some fine views.
Jim and David
Jim and David
Mt. Rainier peaks out
Mt. Rainier peaks out
Mt.Stuart
Mt.Stuart
David, Suzanne, and JIm
David, Suzanne, and JIm
Suzanne, Gusto, and Mt. Margaret

pithy yet insightful signature
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostSun Apr 13, 2008 5:55 pm 
Middle E wrote:
Great picture, Middle E. Sun, shorts, snow & go-for-the-gusto, Gusto. up.gif SD, your TR's always make me hockeygrin.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
TrailPair

TrailPair
PostSun Apr 13, 2008 6:00 pm 
I was admiring Barry's sense of style with those zip off legs. I'll have to try that sometime (or not!) cool.gif ykm.gif Nice report with a bit of excitement at the cornice. up.gif paranoid.gif

This thing called work is interfering with my play
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSun Apr 13, 2008 6:09 pm 
Quote:
I was admiring Barry's sense of style with those zip off legs. I'll have to try that sometime (or not!)
It would go well with the new single-point crampons. Especially if Bob wears them. embarassedlaugh.gif

Knows literally nothing
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostSun Apr 13, 2008 6:22 pm 
GeoTom wrote:
It would go well with the new single-point crampons. Especially if Bob wears them. embarassedlaugh.gif
lol.gif lol.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
Yet

Yet
PostSun Apr 13, 2008 6:24 pm 
goats gone wild wrote:
SD, your TR's always make me hockeygrin.gif
ditto.gif smile.gif

Brewmaster

Brewmaster
PostSun Apr 13, 2008 6:54 pm 
Not much to add to the excellent TR. This (in contrast to the attempt on North mtn 2 weeks ago) turned out to be a great trip to a great place. However I am beginning to worry as this is the second time in a row that a trip I was on failed to get to the actual summit. Some one mentioned something about an OPUS curse that may have been dropped on me... I think Middle E would have considered going around to the left of the cornice, but the side slope looked sketchy to us all and only would have gotten worse in the sun. The snow really got heavy after sun exposure, making the way down challenging. A great trip with a great group. It was nice to finally meet "the driver" and Gusto. A few pics and GPS track/ elevation.
Black and white of Rainier.
Black and white of Rainier.
View of the false summit.
View of the false summit.
Stopping for lunch.  Gusto is ready and waiting for food.
Stopping for lunch. Gusto is ready and waiting for food.
Barry (Middle E) looking for a way around or over the cornice.
Barry (Middle E) looking for a way around or over the cornice.
Mt Margaret track
Mt Margaret track
Elevation graph.
Elevation graph.
Cheers

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSun Apr 13, 2008 8:12 pm 
Middle E wrote:
Note to self...in the future, avoid avant garde fashion on NW hikes.
Don't worry, we'd think of other ways to embarrass and humiliate you - we wouldn't want you to feel left out!!! lol.gif
Middle E wrote:
OMG - eek.gif speaking of fashion statements . . . look at those pathetic gaiters on that woman. shakehead.gif How tacky!! rolleyes.gif
Goats gone wild wrote:
SD, your TR's always make me hockeygrin.gif
Yet wrote:
ditto.gif smile.gif
Aww, wub.gif thanks, you two! Now, if I could just figure out a way to keep Gusto in dog food and pay the rent by hiking and writing about it!

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostSun Apr 13, 2008 8:22 pm 
Sadie's Driver wrote:
Now, if I could just figure out a way to keep Gusto in dog food and pay the rent by hiking and writing about it!
I don't know, SD, I think with a little more "training" he could beg for the both of you. hockeygrin.gif Not sure what to do about rent though.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSun Apr 13, 2008 8:30 pm 
Brewmaster wrote:
However I am beginning to worry as this is the second time in a row that a trip I was on failed to get to the actual summit. Some one mentioned something about an OPUS curse that may have been dropped on me...
Hey now, the Opus curse only applies to trips planned or suggested by Opus, or hiked by Opus himself. Chalk North up to the curse, but I had no hand in this one. clown.gif Good of you guys to get out. I wimped out today and stayed around town, feeling a bit beat up from all those tree pits on Persis.

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSun Apr 13, 2008 8:33 pm 
Ugly
GeoTom wrote:
Quote:
I was admiring Barry's sense of style with those zip off legs. I'll have to try that sometime (or not!)
Have you seen his feet? gag.gif stun.gif And, his toenail polish is a bit garish!!! rotf.gif

TrailPair

TrailPair
PostSun Apr 13, 2008 8:45 pm 
You wouldn't want to see my toes in those single point crampons. eek.gif K has much prettier feet, don't you think? up.gif

This thing called work is interfering with my play
SlowWalker
Perma-grinner

SlowWalker
Perma-grinner
PostMon Apr 14, 2008 11:02 am 
Hi folks! I was in that group of 4 that you mentioned. I wish I could have met you, but I was one of the slower ones on skis and never did see you. We GPS tracked our route, which was mostly on the road on the way up. It came out to 8 miles RT for us. Here is a link to jt's TR on TAY: http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=9779.0

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Apr 14, 2008 11:25 am 
Good title. That is what it felt like, "cement", postholing in cement, and pulling a load up with you as you tried to pull your feet out. hockeygrin.gif

Living in the Anthropocene