Forum Index > The Trading Post > WTB: Young man size 6.5-7.0 waterproof hiking boots
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB

DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB
PostSat Apr 12, 2008 10:45 am 
My son has outgrown his size 6 (last of the less expensive youth sizes... sniff) Hi-Tec waterproof hiking boots and I am looking to score some cheaper-than-$100+ new shoes as he has moved into the adult sized department. I am looking for waterproof hikers in relatively good shape with at least a year's worth of wear left on them, in size 6.5-7.0 men's or 7.5-8.0 women's (prolly need a not-so-girlie color though!). Any advice or pointers on where to find such items (checked craigslist and ebay somewhat already) locally would be appreciated as well. As an aside, my son (12 y/o) has grown about 3/4" in the last three weeks and an inch since 24 January. His shoes, which were fine last month, have generated the complaint that his toes are hitting the end of the boot. And I thought I was done buying gear for him this year! Grrr!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSat Apr 12, 2008 12:17 pm 
For the past couple years with Ford going through shoes so fast I just started buying hiking boots and trail runners at Target for $20-30 a pair. They work fine - he never wears them out!! Right now he is wearing a pair of my hiking boots (mens 8 1/2 or womens 10) from LLBean that are GTX dayhiker boots. Bean carries some good entry level boots for $50ish to 80ish or so as well.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB

DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB
PostSun Apr 13, 2008 10:34 pm 
We ended up getting a cheap pair of LLBean women's size 8 day hikers from Value Village that will see him through the next hike or two before I try for a solid set of shoes adequate for the summer's backpacking treks. Campmor has the same shoe I have (Montrail Torre GTX) on sale and in a size 7 men's for $90, which is a screaming good deal at $70 off. I may just pull the trigger on those, knowing that if they don't get used up, they would be worth keeping for son #2 or selling them.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Apr 14, 2008 6:46 am 
I found with Ford that due to his lower pack weight (we go very light) he actually could wear trail runners in most cases (like me). I found he got no blisters and his feet were not as tired. I still have him wear boots on snow and if we are facing long stretches of talus...but otherwise, boots are many times overkill smile.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.