Forum Index > Trip Reports > Skijoring the John Wayne Trail at Hyak
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
whitebark

whitebark
PostMon Apr 14, 2008 10:00 am 
The John Wayne Trail at Hyak still has a heavy cover of snow, 5 feet at least. The spring skiing season is going to last a long time. The road to the Kechelus boat landing is plowed, offering another place to park with quicker access to the cold creek trail. I saw people on the lake bed kite-skiing, using parasails to pull them along on skis. That's a new one for me. Official grooming of the JWT has ended and the nordic center is closed. I assume that rules for trail usage are now relaxed, meaning for example that you can take dogs out on the trails now. Sno-park permits are no longer needed to park, and passes are not needed to used the x-c trail system above Hyak. Sno-park permit haters, go crazy! The reason I mentioned dogs is because I bought Lex the dog a skijoring harness and was anxious to try it out. The "Northstar" sledding harness came from Black Ice Dogsledding Equipment. This store seems like a good outfit; they sent the harness promptly after I ordered it. You can also buy other skijoring stuff like the towline and waistbelt, but I rigged up my own towline using a leash and bungee cord. My backpack served as the waist belt. The flat JWT seemed a good place to try out skijoring. Lex did o.k. on his first outing, pulling hard enough to add some speed but not hard enough that I could get a free ride. There were some exciting moments when Lex suddenly veered off the trail to chase a squirrel. I had a length of bungee cord on the leash to take up some of the shock, but sometime it was all I could do to avoid a spill. Other times he would halt suddenly--right in my path--to smell some animal droppings or hoof prints. Oh well, maybe I should get an eskimo dog (lex is a shepherd lab mix).
harness.JPG
harness.JPG
skijoring.JPG
skijoring.JPG

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Andy Schmidt
Formerly Fuu

Andy Schmidt
Formerly Fuu
PostMon Apr 14, 2008 12:24 pm 
I too tried skijoring this year for the first time. I got a Malamute-Mutt mix late last summer. I had a similar experience. He made the glide last longer but no free ride. We went to the mtn loop. The snowmobile tracks were excellent for it. I found communication to be our major short-coming. I need to work on some basic commands to smooth it out a bit.

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostMon Apr 14, 2008 12:33 pm 
Right on Lex!!! Thanks for the TR Whitebark..I was curious as to when the grooming stopped.

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostTue Apr 15, 2008 1:27 am 
Cool YouTube movie!
Whitebark wrote:
The spring skiing season is going to last a long time.
It'll be interesting to see this spring what the snow quality will be like. The quantity is sure there. Hopefully, there will not be just a lot of piles of crud laying around caked with pollen, twigs, soot, etc.. Maybe it'll be like spring and early summer of 1999.

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin