Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > low lumber prices may lead to development of timberlands
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostSun Apr 13, 2008 10:24 pm 
"Lumber outlook calls for big skid" is in the Bellingham Herald. With the subprime mortgage crisis, emergent recession and house prices declining, the price of lumber is declining. So, timber companies, mills, and logging companies are laying people off since the demand for the product they produce is down. Some people may think this is a good thing. But it's not. Timber companies are looking into selling some of their forestland for residential development and that means permanent deforestation from roads, driveways, yards, the house itself, etc.. Clearcuts with logging roads open to the public are way better than rural subdivisions with "No Trespassing" signs. waah.gif

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Apr 14, 2008 5:47 am 
Aw come on. Prices are on the way up. Hemlock went up 64 cents and D-fir a dollar sixty according to one of the indexes. Get them saws warmed up!--not..... shakehead.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Romeo Montague
has no Juliet

Romeo Montague
has no Juliet
PostTue Apr 15, 2008 7:59 pm 
yew_betula wrote:
So, timber companies, mills, and logging companies are laying people off since the demand for the product they produce is down. Some people may think this is a good thing.
Sounds great to me up.gif I hope it kills our whole damn economy

O, swear not by the moon, the fickle moon, the inconstant moon, that monthly changes in her circle orb, Lest that thy love prove likewise variable.
Romeo Montague
has no Juliet

Romeo Montague
has no Juliet
PostTue Apr 15, 2008 8:00 pm 
Chip Prices are up too lol.gif

O, swear not by the moon, the fickle moon, the inconstant moon, that monthly changes in her circle orb, Lest that thy love prove likewise variable.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Apr 16, 2008 5:52 am 
So, if timberlands are developed, they'll need wood for the houses and prices could go up making timberland more profitable and.....whoa. My head hurts. dizzy.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Apr 16, 2008 10:41 am 
Romeo Montague wrote:
yew_betula wrote:
So, timber companies, mills, and logging companies are laying people off since the demand for the product they produce is down. Some people may think this is a good thing.
Sounds great to me up.gif I hope it kills our whole damn economy
Yeah, nothing is better than a whole bunch of people out of work.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Romeo Montague
has no Juliet

Romeo Montague
has no Juliet
PostWed Apr 16, 2008 1:45 pm 
Yep, it may split apart familes, kill business, make the hard working people of this world lose there houses, ruin small childerns childhoods, but atleast we can save renewable trees so they can die of diesase or something else like God intended

MadCapLaughs

MadCapLaughs
PostWed Apr 16, 2008 3:10 pm 
Uh, I think your missing the point. This isn't the result of some green "save the trees" campaign, like you derisively suggest. It is the result of market forces. You know, good ole capitalism. But I agree a tree farm is better than a cookie-cutter subdivision.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Apr 16, 2008 3:51 pm 
Cookie cutter subdivisions are the inevitable result of regulations that *require* conformity with code and appearance. I am not saying this is you, but seeing people push for continual expansion of zoning control and control over designs while decrying the cookie cutter, which is a direct result of what they support, always amazes me.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Apr 16, 2008 4:08 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Cookie cutter subdivisions are the inevitable result of regulations that *require* conformity with code and appearance. I am not saying this is you, but seeing people push for continual expansion of zoning control and control over designs while decrying the cookie cutter, which is a direct result of what they support, always amazes me.
Actually that is totally wrong, cookie cutter subdivisions are the result of the free market and economic considerations i.e. it is cheaper to built them all alike and cut down all the trees. They existed long before e.g. Levitown zoning regulations and land use regulations. The appearance and similar requirements are almost always the result of private covenants or decisions of homeowner associations and are examples of the right to contract and not any government edict. huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Romeo Montague
has no Juliet

Romeo Montague
has no Juliet
PostWed Apr 16, 2008 4:29 pm 
MadCapLaughs wrote:
Uh, I think your missing the point. This isn't the result of some green "save the trees" campaign, like you derisively suggest. It is the result of market forces. You know, good ole capitalism. But I agree a tree farm is better than a cookie-cutter subdivision.
Ohhh I know exactly on a very personal level why mills and logging companys are having a tough go at it right now. You are very much correct sir. Simpson and bigger companys can shut down for the time and it not effect them, others go bankrupt and the smart mills are out there looking for foriegn products to make or other niches in the market to stay afloat. With India some Eurapeon countries and Japan there is big market for export. If we dont want it, they usually do

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Apr 16, 2008 5:05 pm 
And some of us have been through the big shutdown of the 90s which hit the little towns extremely hard. It was not fun and the areas hit then are not and never will be the same. Lower paying jobs are the norm now. Lots of families left so schools have closed but we're stuck with it. Now another spate of closings. But, it always has been a cyclical thing. The blowdown is helping employ a lot of loggers who would not be working otherwise. So, think the next blow will be a drop in the tourism business because of gas prices? Tourism was supposed to replace the mill and woods jobs. shakehead.gif

yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostFri Apr 18, 2008 1:12 am 
yew betula wrote:
...rural subdivisions with "No Trespassing" signs.
Malachai Constant wrote:
...cookie cutter subdivisions...
Mtn Goat wrote:
MadCapLaughs wrote:
You know, come to think about it, much of the timberland sold to developers, speculators or homeowners as real estate will probably end up as trophy homes, ranchettes or trailers. Or maybe even something like a normal house on a 5 acre lot? But, the permanent deforestation and forest fragmentation will still occur with less aesthetically offensive residential development. Some of it may end up like the Weyerhauser timberland near Mt St Helens (5th paragraph from the bottom) which was part of Cabela's Investment Properties & Trophy Properties.

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
Klapton

Klapton
PostFri Apr 18, 2008 4:26 am 
I'm currently looking for about 5 acres of affordable land in the middle of nowhere to build something very much like this place: http://www.logworksnw.com/ Unfortunately, there really isn't such thing as "affordable land" on the soggy side of WA where I grew up and long to retire.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Apr 18, 2008 7:07 am 
I love it! For a mere 559,000 you can get a "riverfront" house. How long till it floats away? I found my 5 acres and am now trying to figure out what to live in there. It still is timbered, although mostly scrubby stuff. I intend to keep it that way. At least until I get desperate for money and the market happens to be booming. lol.gif