Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > low lumber prices may lead to development of timberlands
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Klapton

Klapton
PostFri Apr 18, 2008 5:48 pm 
Yeah, they're asking a lot of money for it. But I happen to know how they built it, and have a pretty good idea of what it cost them to build it too, hehe. It's a lot less than $499k. They learned how to do it here: http://www.loghomebuilders.org/ If you really are interested in how to build a great home for yourself without spending yourself to death, check it out.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Apr 19, 2008 8:02 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Actually that is totally wrong, cookie cutter subdivisions are the result of the free market and economic considerations i.e. it is cheaper to built them all alike and cut down all the trees. They existed long before e.g. Levitown zoning regulations and land use regulations. The appearance and similar requirements are almost always the result of private covenants or decisions of homeowner associations and are examples of the right to contract and not any government edict. huh.gif
Doubtless some of this is the case. On the other hand, there are the 'planning board' meetings I have attended where plans have been rejected for styles not 'fitting in with the community' and with every little detail from house size per lot size to signage prescribed, along with a heck of a lot more..such as insisting on city approval of the apperance of streetlights. Sure, zoning and 'standards' laws have nothing to do with cookie cutter. strange.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostSun Apr 20, 2008 12:49 am 
I always figured that "cookie cutter" subdivisions where all the houses look very similar is due to economies of scale in construction. It's cheaper/more efficient to build houses that are similar and look the same than houses that differ. Although, there anecdotes of some neighborhood associations that seek legal action against homeowners who paint their house a contrasting color, let the grass grow too tall, put up a too tall fence, etc..

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin