Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostThu Apr 03, 2008 9:05 pm 
Gray wrote:
Can you think of any scientific theories that have been universally accepted within 20 years of their formation? How about one that were, and haven't been overturned or modified in the ensuing decades and centuries afterwards? --Gray
These were all rapidly accepted: The Copenhagen Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics. Piaget's Theory of Cognitive Development Plate Tectonics Special Relativity and General Relativity All theories get modified in the ensuing decades.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Apr 04, 2008 5:29 am 
"With the July 2007 release of the revised statement by the American Association of Petroleum Geologists, no remaining scientific body of national or international standing is known to reject the basic findings of human influence on recent climate." - American Quaternary Association Why did the AAPG change their position from disagreement with human-caused GW to agreement? Because the previous position was "not supported by a significant number of our members and prospective members." Hmmm, even petroleum geologists accept the human causes of global warming, as does every other scientific organization of standing in the entire world. Maybe we should reject what every scientific organization says, and instead believe a handful of people with an ax to grind and almost zero knowledge of the subject at hand. hmmm.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Apr 04, 2008 8:34 am 
well golly, if a bunch agree, that makes it true!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Hikes with dogs
always well behaved

Hikes with dogs
always well behaved
PostFri Apr 04, 2008 10:42 am 
Know what they call someone who tries to predict the weather around here? Either a newcomer or a fool!!! lol.gif lol.gif But you know in your heart that you are throwing away too much trash (waste!), eating way too much non-essential food (waste!) and driving way too fast, using up way too much gas (waste!) What about "waste not, want not"??? hockeygrin.gif

guns don't watch your back... our dogs have shown us the way out when we were lost...AND kept us warm... for us its ALWAYS a two dog night!
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostSun Apr 20, 2008 9:33 am 
Now, we were talking about what again? "Warming?" I should have most of my winter firewood cut and split. Alas, all the logs I want to buck up are still under a couple of feet of snow. huh.gif strange.gif uhh.gif

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Lono

Lono
PostSun Apr 20, 2008 10:11 am 
Madam Pele is keeping North Bend cold to keep this thread alive.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Apr 20, 2008 12:57 pm 
Dave Workman wrote:
Now, we were talking about what again? "Warming?"
Where were you last Saturday when it was 80 degrees?

bobclark

bobclark
PostSun Apr 20, 2008 2:26 pm 
Global warming nuthin', I'm starting to think that summer warming is a myth.

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostSun Apr 20, 2008 2:40 pm 
Tom wrote:
Dave Workman wrote:
Evidently not where you were.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Apr 21, 2008 9:42 am 
Dave Workman wrote:
Now, we were talking about what again? "Warming?" I should have most of my winter firewood cut and split. Alas, all the logs I want to buck up are still under a couple of feet of snow. huh.gif strange.gif uhh.gif
Thanks for this informative addition to your original post. I get it now - it's cold where Dave is, so GW is BS. I missed it the first time. This is impeccable logic, reminiscant of that of infants. Mommy is not visible now. Mommy does not exist now. I look forward to your updates to this thread during record heat waves. I've noticed a certain fondness among some for the novelist Chrichton's take on GW - here's a take from a Spokane-based novelist on the difference between weather and climate.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Apr 21, 2008 1:28 pm 
Tom wrote:
Dave Workman wrote:
Somewhere where this thing called "spring" occurs, generally followed by the Great Warming called "summer".

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostMon Apr 21, 2008 5:38 pm 
Last March the warmest on record: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080418/ap_on_sc/march_warmth

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
stevefromdodge

stevefromdodge
PostTue Apr 22, 2008 6:43 am 
Does anyone know of a site that lists the real, raw data on the global temps? I'd like to find a chart-like page with annual or monthly data that extends from current data back 100 years. All I seem to be finding are hunks of newspaper text with a single, potentially biased comparison.

Lono

Lono
PostTue Apr 22, 2008 8:15 am 
I'm no scientist, but just a quick search yielded NOAA sites on paleoclimatology and a general GW page with such data - http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/paleo/globalwarming/paleodata.html for actual data going back 140 years, and paleoclimatological data going back 2,000 years. Also a chart of average mean global temperatures going back to 1880 is at http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/globtemp.html, based on this overall data. If you rut around deeper in the search pages you may find additional hard data. My sense is we're swimming with data, and the means to measuring global temps has shifted to satellites. What you make of the data, well, that's science, and the conclusions you draw are your own.