Forum Index > Food & Grub > frying trout in the high country.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Sep 16, 2003 11:31 pm 
From BC parks: Tips in Bear Country Bears are found throughout B.C., frequently near streams. Black bears and grizzlies have a keen sense of smell, which may attract them to freshly-caught fish, fish guts, spawning grounds and bait such as fish eggs. Here are some simple precautions to help you avoid bear encounters and conflicts: Clean your fish a good distance away from camp. Dispose of fish guts by puncturing the bladder and dropping in deep or rushing water, well away from heavily used shoreline areas. Avoid disposal in shallow water or where likely to wash up on the beach, bank or boat launch. Burial or burning is not recommended, and please, do not place in garbage receptacles! Remember not to wipe your hands on your clothing after cleaning fish or handling fish or bait such as fish eggs. Bears can be drawn to many types of food - not only fish and bait, but also groceries or garbage. Take precautions both while fishing and at your camp. Keep fish eggs in well sealed and secure containers. Make your presence known by talking loudly or making noise, particularly along streams and in areas where there is bear sign such as droppings, tracks, or claw or bite marks on trees. While fishing, if a bear approaches within 50 metres (or 100 m for a female with cubs), reel in your line or cut the line and leave the area immediately

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
-lol-

-lol-
PostWed Sep 17, 2003 8:38 am 

Dslayer

Dslayer
PostWed Sep 17, 2003 10:04 am 
I'm a foil man myself-pretty easy to pack foil and whatever I'm cooking the fish with-oil/butter, lemon pepper, onions, lemon-whatever. Along the line of the nutrient story-FWD is throwing dead, spawned out salmon into streams to make up for the fact that salmon, whose deaths used to supply large amounts of nutrients to the streams they died in, are no longer returning in great numbers to those streams. One of the things that has occurred with this is the inncreased sightings of bald eagles along the Yakima R. basin.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
SeaNat

SeaNat
PostWed Sep 17, 2003 11:04 am 
2drx wrote:" a respectful alpine angler will never discard them in lake shallows where they can be seen by others" Sounds more like an aesthetic thing for you. One man's garbage is another trouts survival. Biologically, high mountain lakes are almost devoid of nutrients and I don't mind feeding the fish a little something as long as it's natural. Since most anglers here throw the guts into deeper or faster flowing waters there is no concern. Trout are cannibalistic and love there own guts. I've used trout guts for bait and it works great. Just use common sense. p.s. screw the WDFW! They've done nothing but but manage our fisheries into the toilet for the past 20 years. But that's another forum.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Sep 17, 2003 11:13 am 
Actully, 2drx was quoting from the WDFW site.

Odonata

Odonata
PostWed Sep 17, 2003 11:26 am 
It's always a bit of a bummer to arrive at a camp site and find fish carcasses strewn about in the water. Yes, its happened many times. It's not cool with me to filter water around them. Besides the aesthetics. It is good to know 25 ft of water is OK. I'm sure it takes a while for them to return to the earth.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Sep 17, 2003 11:33 am 
I just bring up my solar powered micro wave to cook them! TB winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostWed Sep 17, 2003 12:05 pm 
Seanat, the WDFW has managed high lakes extremely well over the last 20 years. They have had major problems in other areas, but since high lakes are the topic of this discussion I feel compelled to defend their track record in this area. Not throwing guts back in shallow water is an aesthetic thing. I hate seeing fish guts people have thrown back in shallow water.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostWed Sep 17, 2003 12:51 pm 
Until one tries "fish on the coals" without any pan or foil, he will not know this is the best way to cook trout, big ones especially...ask Glen Lee, Mark Boyle, Steve White, Mike Quinn, including myself...all Trail Blazers. McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Sep 17, 2003 1:02 pm 
McPil, so how big are the big ones and how long do you cook them? Do you turn them over?

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostWed Sep 17, 2003 1:22 pm 
Cooking in the coals: The fire has to have lots of hot coals built up, no flame, then put the fish on the coal bed, cook on one side almost 15 minutes, then flip it over to its other side. When it is done, slide it out gently and remove the back bone and serve. If throughly cooked the bone will peel completly out leaving very few. Add some seasoning to taste if you wish if you haven't added some in the caviity already during cooking. The entire process preserves the smoke flavor as well as the juices, as the skin becomes like leather and seals everything in. The trick is not to flip it until one side (flesh) is completely done. When you have mastered this way of cooking trout, you will never again take pans or foil along to fry or cook trout, trust me. Big trout in high lakes are anything over 18 inches IMO... McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
troutman

troutman
PostWed Sep 17, 2003 2:30 pm 
Okay, I have a good recipie: Poached trout pasta pesto Poach trout in butter, salt, pepper and lemonjuiceand 2 cups of water in your 1 quart alpine pot. Cut trout in half if they don't fit. When the meat is cooked, debone and deskin and dehead trout so it is just meat and set aside. Boil spiral noodles next and drain. Add trout, pesto sauce (basil and garlic style) and grated (not shredded) parmesean cheeze. Serve. Note- One bag of pasta and one jar of pesto serves two. Two 12" - 14" trout each is plenty for each hiker and each serving. I use this recipie to save weight and fuel time. Be sure to change the jar to a plastic screwtop container and then put container in a ziplock. Oil can get messy if it leakes.

SeaNat

SeaNat
PostThu Sep 18, 2003 9:55 am 
Tom wrote:
Actully, 2drx was quoting from the WDFW site.
It just sounds to me he's trying to make the point of dump NO guts at all when I see nothing worng with returning to nature what already exists and nature can use a little help in this area. But even the WDFW site to me reads: no shallow water dumping, but deeper or faster water is O.K. Back to the subject: Since I'm usually pretty hungry after a long day of hiking, a little olive oil and fish/poultry spice does the trick. I have an OPEN COUNTRY set with a non-stick pan. Since high country lakes as a rule don't have very big fish, "pan-size" fits my pan perfectly. Although I saw some huge ones pulled out of Squaw Lake earlier this year, I suppose cooking those in foil over hot coals would work in a pinch.

Dave Weyrick

Dave Weyrick
PostThu Sep 18, 2003 12:04 pm 
This rainbow cooked over the coals was delicious.
Fish in Coals
Fish in Coals

If I'd known ya was gonna use bait I wouldn't a brought ya!
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostThu Sep 18, 2003 12:28 pm 
Dangit-that's gone over the line. I'm sitting here salivating listening to all your descriptions of cooking trout-then you have to post pictures of them! Trout-anyway you cook them-are my favorite thing in the world to eat. Just fired some up for dinner last night-but there's nothing as good as cooking and eating them within minutes of catching them.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent