Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rock Lake, Rock Mtn. Lookout
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Leafguy

Leafguy
PostSun Sep 21, 2003 12:30 am 
There are a few ways to get to Rock Lake. Having taken the Rock Mtn. trail #1587, I would suggest any way but that one. The Snowy Creek trail #1583, although a bit longer, will be a bit easier on your bones. I had originally planned a trip to Lost Lake via Merritt Lake trail #1588. I had left after work on a Friday and got to that trailhead about 5 PM. Luckily my daughter looked at the register and informed me there were 18 people that had signed the register in the previous 2 days, despite only 3 cars in the lot. I'm not antisocial, but the potential to be in a very crowded area seemed certain. So plan B was Rock Lake. The girls dropped me off at 6PM and off I went. I headed up, and up, and up. The first mile or so is very steep. Lots of fun with a full pack after a days' work! I started to wonder if I was going to beat the darkness or sleep on the trail. Finally the grade decreased and I could see the outlet creek way on up the hill. With a new surge of energy I pushed onward. At a trail junction that goes up to the old lookout site, the lake comes into view a couple hundred feet down to the west. I had the lake all to myself and set up camp just as it was getting dark. The lake is only 3-4 acres with a steep outlet. It is surrounded with trees all around except for the inlet area where there is plenty of good flat space. I didn't notice any sign of fish, but since I left my flyrod at home (unintentionally), that didn't matter much. The next morning I took some pics, packed up and went back to the trail jct. I ditched my pack and went to the lookout site. There were remnants of the old lookout, and great views. Also a darn healthy bug population. What they have up there to live on besides curious humans, I don't know. Later in the day, a couple groups dayhiked to the lookout via Snowy Creek but none of them came to the lake, as it is quite a ways below the lookout and off the Snowy Creek trail a mile or so. Most of the traffic in the area seems confined to the lookout area.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message