Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > How I survived 10 days with three kids - April 2008
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostWed May 07, 2008 10:56 pm 
Way back in August it seemed like a really good idea to send my wife on a cruise with her sister for our anniversary, Christmas, her birthday, Valentine's Day, and probably some other gift-giving holidays I can't remember. All the goodness that came from the give finally came due as my wife left and I had my three kids (5, 3, and 1) and the dog (8). I had 10 days with the kids and no work. Four of those days were taken up with school and other errands. Of the other six days we hiked on five of them. I've learned that if I drive the kids on the trail they actually take naps and sleep late into the morning. hockeygrin.gif Squak Mountain:
hydration
hydration
trail dancing
trail dancing
sleepy
sleepy
snow dancing
snow dancing
sisters
sisters
Coal Creek Falls:
even more kids?
even more kids?
hiking with "pokes"
hiking with "pokes"
poke
poke
navigation
navigation
Redmond Watershed Preserve with Hiker Mama Bandera State Airport:
shoer down!
shoer down!
coming in for a landing
coming in for a landing
brunch
brunch
trouble coming
trouble coming
last sled of the year
last sled of the year
Swamp and Big Tree Trails:
too cool
too cool
loving the story
loving the story
still friends
still friends
a picture of me!
a picture of me!
running from the storm
running from the storm
snow problem
snow problem
And it wasn't just me hiking. My wife climbed Paradise Peak with her sister. Never mind they did it in flip flops and with drinks in hand.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostThu May 08, 2008 1:19 am 
Those look like some pretty tough kids out there. How do you keep up with them?

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
gone

gone
PostThu May 08, 2008 1:38 am 
I've been reading/watching your home alone adventure via your reports here and on Moosefish the last couple of weeks and it looks to me like you've done a fantastic job! up.gif And it looks like your wife came out pretty good in the deal too - that picture is a tropical delight! biggrin.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu May 08, 2008 4:49 am 
You DRIVE your kids? They sure look abused! You must beat them all the time! smile.gif Nah, doesn't look like a call to Nanny 911 is needed.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu May 08, 2008 6:05 am 
Nothing is better than watching kids have fun. 'Trouble coming' is my favorite.

Hiker Chick

Hiker Chick
PostThu May 08, 2008 8:13 am 
up.gif up.gif up.gif You are a fabulous dad. I know a lot of fathers and very, very few would ever 1) be as selfless to send their wife on a cruise and stay at home with the kids 2) actually take their kids out on an adventure vs. parking them in front of the TV for 10 days. Your wife is a lucky woman and your children are very fortunate to have you. agree.gif

If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in the dark with a mosquito. Silence is golden and duct tape is silver. I don't write trip reports.
Canuck

Canuck
PostThu May 08, 2008 8:18 am 
Hiker Chick wrote:
up.gif up.gif up.gif You are a fabulous dad. I know a lot of fathers and very, very few would ever 1) be as selfless to send their wife on a cruise and stay at home with the kids 2) actually take their kids out on an adventure vs. parking them in front of the TV for 10 days. Your wife is a lucky woman and your children are very fortunate to have you. agree.gif
ditto.gif You're an amazing father. There is nothing cooler than a dad spending that much quality time with his young kids. Nice job, dad!!! up.gif up.gif (not to mention all the points you earned from your wife... if my husband let me go for 10 days on a cruise to some tropical island without him... hmmm.gif well never mind. He wouldn't!).

moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostThu May 08, 2008 8:33 am 
Thanks for the kudos, but I was really just trying to survive. I know how hard it is to hang out at home with little ones running, crawling, and crashing all day long. I'm in awe of my wife who does it all the time. The biggest learn I got from the whole experience was that single parents are the real heroes. I was struck by how lonely I was after the kids went to bed. Sure, I had time to do chores and play around, but I felt confined to the house from 7pm on. I can't imagine trying to maintain my own identity without the flexibility that comes from having a partner.

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostThu May 08, 2008 8:37 am 
moosefish wrote:
sisters
sisters
This one reminds me of a picture we have at the house of my wife and her younger sister when they were little girls. up.gif

Knows literally nothing
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostThu May 08, 2008 8:47 am 
your photos are ADORABLE !! Love the dancing photos... heck, I love all the photos. even the dog looks happy! (I'd be happy too, if I went hiking every day) Looks like you all had fun - and I hope you get some time to recover now that your wife is back smile.gif wink.gif

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostThu May 08, 2008 8:53 am 
Hats off to you John, you are one brave man and your wife one lucky woman (10 day cruise...geeeesh) up.gif biggrin.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
Jeepasaurusrex

Jeepasaurusrex
PostThu May 08, 2008 9:04 am 
I expected to see this hockeygrin.gif

"I would like to see things from your point of view, but I cannot get my head that far up my butt"
Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostThu May 08, 2008 9:26 am 
Awesome report and I love the pic's of the kiddies! What fun! up.gif up.gif up.gif They are very lucky kids to have you in their lives....thanks for sharing.

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~
huron

huron
PostThu May 08, 2008 9:34 am 
Pokes. Trademark that one. Great little Mooseminnows!

Canuck

Canuck
PostThu May 08, 2008 10:06 am 
moosefish wrote:
The biggest learn I got from the whole experience was that single parents are the real heroes. I was struck by how lonely I was after the kids went to bed. Sure, I had time to do chores and play around, but I felt confined to the house from 7pm on. I can't imagine trying to maintain my own identity without the flexibility that comes from having a partner.
No kidding. I have a good friend who is a single mom of a 5 year old, and she works about 60 hours a week in a high-level management job. It's crazy. I don't know how she does it. She lives on an acre too, in a big house, and her house is always in impeccable shape. I think she doesn't sleep much. I often wonder exactly what you experienced though... I enjoy the odd night when my husband isn't home after our son is bed -- my house is quiet and I have time to myself. But every night? I couldn't do it.