Forum Index > Trip Reports > Reiter to Sunset Mine
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostWed May 07, 2008 6:12 pm 
Well Sunday was Annual clean up at Reiter Trails so I would get my chance at seeing how much snow and were it was up Trout Creek. The weather God's did a 180 from Saturday's yuk for us. It was a huge turn out this year, biggest I've seen. After the 09:00 get ready get set GO meeting I took off for about 2 1/2 hours.
From the road. Needed about 4 shots to the scope of the crowd. Grill is in works and it smelled great.
This year we had our local Police there and they should have been there. These guys have been on the dual sports riding around keeping the Knuckle Heads in check and giving many tickets.
I made it up to the Copper Belle and headed back.
After chow I headed to Trout Creek, wow what a group of rigs parked at the blocked off area. Guess they were all up the Galena road as I only seen a lady and here dog up the old road bed. No snow till the mill site and then it was a wall. I drove the old road in the tree's and parked at the #2 adit. Just to the right, solid snow.
I was also wanting to find a Geo Cache here but that never happened, when I got close to the GPS X marks the spot the GPS freaked out. I tried a few times while up there, same gig ?? Here's a shot looking at the bridge that still spans Trout Creek.
Was bum'n out on this much snow still as I wanted to explore the other side of the creek. So I headed up to the #3 adit. From this point I stayed on the old trail to a point that was snow free and headed down into the tree's and brush. I did a zig zag till I hit the old water line. Now if you've never seen this stuff before it's rather interesting how they made it. I think I counted 16 slat's to form a pipe then wrapped with THICK wire and then coated with Tar. BUT, they did this for 4 miles here. What a pain in the Back that must have been. This mine was in operation from 1900 till about 1950. Have a family member that was able to roam this place on his own as kid for the weekends. He said he would just walk the tunnels and fill his pockets with ore samples. Here some of the pipe.
Guess they used steal pipe as well.
Fallowed what's left to the flat area that one had many buildings.
It's fun to see the pictures of the way it use to be then walk it and try and figure how it must have been. This is the road to the bridge, post holed about 3 foot deep.

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Steve Erickson

Steve Erickson
PostThu May 08, 2008 9:23 am 
Several years ago, when the road past Sunset Mine was driveable for a lot longer then it is now, I used that way as a starting point to hike into Sunset Lake. You reminded me of that when you mentioned the pipes and showed photos of them. I have since been into Sunset with easier routes but they don't go past the manmade dam that was built below the outlet to service the mining operation of the past. When I first hiked that route, it blew me away to see the dam so far from any road or trail. After the hike I did some research and found out what is was used for. The last time I went that way was the year Mt. St. Helens blew. Met a fisherman from Monroe at the lake. He shared a much easier route in. Have not been past Sunset Mines since.

Jimbo

Jimbo
PostThu May 08, 2008 1:08 pm 
Would be fun to see the lake, seen pictures from a dudes trip there last summer.. Long way to run pipe. Have any pictures you can share ?

Steve Erickson

Steve Erickson
PostThu May 08, 2008 2:46 pm 
I'll have to check to see if I have any pictures. Can tell you a neat place to see the lake from a distance. Took a hike off of the upper road on Trout Creek. There is a spur off of that road in the old clearcut area that cuts back sharply to the left. Hiked up the end of that road into the old landing, entered the timber and then worked my way up to the top of Iron Mountain(to the right). From the top you can look down and see Lake Howard and in the distance look into Sunset. Neat views of the lakes from there. Easy hike as well.

Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostThu May 08, 2008 5:05 pm 
Steve Erickson...easy for you to say! Tried that route on May 25, last year...started too late. Went for it on Labor Day and reached the viewpoint; did not venture farther....sure would love to reach top of Iron Mountain...I assume there is a view to Monte Cristos and Spire Mountain (next high point). For an older guy, that is quite an undertaking...but we will have at it, again. Pretty dull hike until the view point; the wrecked rig off old road is a "high light" if you want it to be. LOL!

naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostThu May 08, 2008 5:30 pm 
Sabahsboy, The views from Iron Mtn's. summit are pretty impressive. You can see some images I took from my 2.19.05 trip here. Enjoy!

hams nut
ALL SMILES HERE

hams nut
ALL SMILES HERE
PostThu May 08, 2008 6:41 pm 
Wish we had a spot like that near Spokane Jim. I will be going up to Republic this summer . I will have to post some pics my self.

"People shooting ski areas should be sued" Author Mr.Bruce Bennedict
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostFri May 09, 2008 6:37 am 
It's Jimbo Goofball, well you have Idaho next door and there's ton's of mines there that I wish we had.

Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostFri May 09, 2008 5:19 pm 
Whoa, Naturealbeing, that is one, fine mug shot of Crystal! And, the views! Whew! Thank you for sharing! If my health permits, I will "go for it" this year. What a set of panos! Iron Mountain offers splendid visttas, indeed!

Steve Erickson

Steve Erickson
PostMon May 12, 2008 8:56 am 
Sabahsboy; Didn't mean to imply that it was an easy hike generally speaking. More of an easy hike in that it wasn't overally difficult as far as route finding. One of the neat things I didn't mention is the small basin that you can find not to far off of the "landing" area. Instead of heading up to Iron Mountain. Head into the timber towards Spire a short distance. There is a beautiful, and steep open area not to far into the timber from the landing. First time I hiked into that basin there were seven mountain goats on the hillside. First one was no more than 50 yards away. From there you can go back into the timber and work your way up to Iron Mountain. A lot of the exploring I do is into areas not necessarily for the purpose of bagging a peak or a lake. I like to bag out of the way areas not typically visited. One of the neat areas I have been to are the meadows high above the Gulch Lakes up the Silver Creek drainage. Found them by accident one year while hiking into the lakes. Got on the wrong ridge going up to the lakes and had to make a detour once I realized I was above the lakes. It is one of my favorite areas I have visited.

Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostMon May 12, 2008 9:40 pm 
Steve...many thanks. This adds to the interest of Iron Mountaiin and a reward for the trudge up the bumpity way...all viewless until the great opening view up Trout Cr. to Merchant and Townsend. I assume that is "the landing" or was I short of it? I went to the broader opening and had a field day shooting Gunn, Jump-Off Ridge, etc. Then, late light and overcast told me it was time to depart. We exited in dark (yes, I had a flashlight...actually, not a minute after I turned it on I tripped and fell into a heap of ferns and nearly went to sleep in sublime comfort...the pups were ready for ti, too! Two days later I was en route to Cleveland to visit my dying mother. Further description of those lakes and high meadow? Is this near Twin Lakes via Silver Lake/Silvertip Pk/Poodledog Pass? Only time I went there, I returned to find my vehicle and 26 others vandalized, some severely...had to drive out w/o windshield in rain. On a Sunday, you cannot find a windshield repair...even though they phone you day in and day out!