Forum Index > Trip Reports > TNAB's special delivery: Mailbox Peak 05/08/08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
poopoopoo

poopoopoo
PostSat May 10, 2008 10:33 am 
Greetings. I've seen the TNAB's posts. I've seen you guys in action. I've held my tongue 'cause generally your references are to hideously overused routes anyway (although certainly an argument could be made against the ethics,or lack thereof,of sending twenty-five people and associated dogs all at once up a trail like Little Si). Then, I stumble across this posted intent to cluster-hike Russian Butte,doing more damage in one day than that route sees in ten years...What exactly are you guys all about? You post photos as if you've appreciation for the scenery,but what about respect for the resource itself? P.S. If you do the Butte as planned next week I suggest you ford the Middle Fork to save time rather than go in from the campground.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostSat May 10, 2008 10:39 am 
The Russian Butte reference is not a serious proposal for a TNAB trip. A little tongue in cheek. However, if you know a way to get up Russian Butte in just two or three hours I'd love to know. smile.gif

gone

gone
PostSat May 10, 2008 12:26 pm 
An ethical issue with putting 10-20 sets of boots one night a week on "hideously overused routes" that see thousands and thousands of visitors a year? poopoopoo, if that's really your name, you're joking, right? rolleyes.gif So does this mean we have to reconsider our "cluster-hike" over the Russian Butte to pee in the Gifford Lakes? I hope not because I was really looking forward to the wanton destruction and the despoiling of these hidden gems. [Lest this be misconstrued, I'm just kidding. I only pee in alpine lakes.]

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostSat May 10, 2008 3:15 pm 
Trip Report wrote:
Next Week: Russian Butte via Pratt River! clown.gif shakehead.gif
Sorry for the confusion, we wrote this as a joke. Inspired by the sight of Russian Butte from the summit someone asked if TNAB ever hiked up to this mountain. The answer was no for a variety of reasons, not the least of which that it would be impossible to achieve the summit with a 5:45PM start time. We assumed that anyone familiar with the area would know that Russian Butte is an impossible goal for this group and figure out we were joking. Just in case, we added that we would be going via Pratt River which is more difficult, so people would know we must be joking. Just in case someone still couldn't figure out the joke we added these symbols: clown.gif shakehead.gif . (When I say we I mean Schmidt Alti-Dude as the author, 'Babe wants everyone to know she had nothing to do with it)

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season
meandmyaussies

meandmyaussies
PostSun May 11, 2008 9:18 am 
Another great trip. That was my first time up MBP - it was tough but not nearly as bad as I had expected. In fact, if it had not have been dark when we got back I might have gone back a second time... hihi.gif
No flats spots on this one - especially down low.
No flats spots on this one - especially down low.
DNR taggers?
DNR taggers?
Magnum chillin on MBP
Magnum chillin on MBP

cmurph

cmurph
PostMon May 12, 2008 8:32 am 
Awesome pictures everyone! I really wish I didn't have to miss this one, and I'm out of town for the next couple of weeks too waah.gif, but can't wait to get out on some more TNAB hikes.

runningbird

runningbird
PostMon May 12, 2008 9:07 am 
ewb Thanks so much for hanging out with Cubbie. She totally appreciates having friends around. I know she's not real cuddly but she loves you guys alot. Mark, Thanks for the great trip, as always you do a great job of organizing and setting the great mood for each of these after work hikes. Can't wait to for the Pratt this Thursday shakehead.gif wink.gif

meandmyaussies

meandmyaussies
PostMon May 12, 2008 1:29 pm 
Schmidt Altitude wrote:
The "veterans" remarked that the new trail was less straight up with more switchbacks. The plus side was that there was not a single downed log to contend with the whole way up.
A woman in my office works with the WTA most Saturdays and I just confirmed with her that it was the WTA that did the lower trailwork. I let her know that many of the TNAB folks appreciated their hard work. She was happy to hear that and said she would pass that on to her group.
Schmidt Altitude wrote:
Whomever rebuilt the trail also spray-painted orange dots on the trees beside the trail at various intervals. This was very reassuring because the group became very spread out as the miles passed.
The orange dots were not added by the WTA group.

Shadow

Shadow
PostMon May 12, 2008 2:01 pm 
Quote:
In fact, if it had not have been dark when we got back I might have gone back a second time...
All kidding aside, I did see a guy up there Saturday that did it twice before noon. On his second trip he said he made it to the top in 1 h 48 m! And here I thought I was doing good just getting up once in 2 hours shakehead.gif

Yet

Yet
PostMon May 12, 2008 2:02 pm 
Of course you are! Never mind the over-achievers. wink.gif

moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostMon May 12, 2008 2:13 pm 
meandmyaussies wrote:
Schmidt Altitude wrote:
Whomever rebuilt the trail also spray-painted orange dots on the trees beside the trail at various intervals. This was very reassuring because the group became very spread out as the miles passed.
The orange dots were not added by the WTA group.
Except at one point it seemed the dots split. The route to the right (less steep so the illogical way to go yet the way I went) continues for a little while until there's a big orange X on the tree and no more dots. Although it would seem best to go back the way we came until we found the other dots we decided to just cut back left on a rising traverse and eventually did intersect the actual trail. Had it been dark I expect we'd have wound up at the Fire Training Center... or actually would have followed our trail back instead of going off-trail.

yukon222

yukon222
PostMon May 12, 2008 2:18 pm 
I took the fork to the right too. That is the way I had remembered it from last year. Then just cut back to the left a bit as Moosefish described at the big X. Worked just fine. Might be slightly more mileage than the left or straight up trail. I know originally there was a "left" trail left of the standard "straight up" trail. Not sure which trail is which now. Just go up and you'll be fine.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon May 12, 2008 2:21 pm 
ditto.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon May 12, 2008 2:34 pm 
As I remember from last year (I haven't been up Mailbox this year) there are 2 splits in the trail (don't know about the dots). - On the first one the left fork goes up more steeply and is joined by the right fork almost immediately. So, a non-issue - any option is fine. - On the second one I would recommend the left fork. The 2 join up just before you move out of the denser forest into more open terrain. In snowy conditions the right fork can sometimes be a pain to follow after it moves back towards the left fork. (At one point this was the more popular way up.) Now the left fork is the 'main' way up: smoother and more efficient; it can be muddier, but less less blow-down to worry about (except for one large tree). Edit, 5/24/08: Looks like the large tree down on the second left fork is no longer there, but the mud still is!

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostMon May 12, 2008 8:22 pm 
yukon222 wrote:
I took the fork to the right too. That is the way I had remembered it from last year. Then just cut back to the left a bit as Moosefish described at the big X. Worked just fine. Might be slightly more mileage than the left or straight up trail. I know originally there was a "left" trail left of the standard "straight up" trail. Not sure which trail is which now.
Rich and I were behind the group that included yukon, 'Babe, and runningbird. When we arrived at the split I yelled ahead as loud as I could to see it they went left or right since they were far out of my sight by this time. I heard no response so I chose left. After following the trail without seeing anyone else (except Rich behind me) for quite a while I was surprised that I caught up to the lead group right about where the snow started (before the trail breaks out into the open). I must of made up some time by choosing the left track over the right.

Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife