Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pinnacle Peak (5/10/08)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSat May 10, 2008 11:36 pm 
Roundtrip: 2 miles Elevation Gain: 1040 feet Me, my wife, Quetzal Curttissimo and his son Lance decided to do a simple hike this week. For my wife it was only the second none-Seattle park she had done in a year and half and the first decent hike with elevation gain she has done in a year and a half. She has gone through a number of health concerns and this for her would a good way to get back into shape. Quetzal Curttissimo picked us up at 10 am and we were at the trailhead at around 11 am. The Cal Magnuson Trail located off of 472 street in Enumclaw is the route we took to the summit of Pinnacle Peak. There are actually a number of other routes that branch off at the trailhead that head to the summit but we just stuck to this trail. Despite very little information on the internet on this peak and no real book information we found this trail to be swamped with people today. If you are looking for peace and quiet this peak is not the peak for you. The trail was very a straight forward 1000 feet plus in one mile. There were no scrambles and the conditions of trail reminded me of Cougar Mountain or Squak Mountain. The trail up was basically tree covered with very little in the way of views. On the way up QC's son had a very high dose of energy and basically ran to the summit. Qc had to run up the trail to stay up with him and to keep a close eye on this son. Meanwhile my wife was dragging up the mountain due to very little hiking in the past 2 year. She was a little upset at first at the constant uphill at me rant.gif but once she got a pace she was okay. It took QC and his son about 30 minutes (probably twenty waiting for us) and wife with me little over her about an hour to reach the summit.
Pinnacle Peak views
Pinnacle Peak views
Pinnacle Peak views
Pinnacle Peak views
Pinnacle Peak View
Pinnacle Peak View
Pinnacle Peak view
Pinnacle Peak view
Us on the peak
Us on the peak
Once we reached the true summit we found very little in the way of views from the remains of a former lookout tower but there were some views from just down the trail on the north end and a side path that led to decent views on the east end. I also heard that there were good views of the town of Enumclaw but I could find where they were located. After spending about 40 minutes on the summit and the overlooks we decided to head back to the car and were all down in about 40 minutes. My wife was in a little pain afterward but after it was all said and done she enjoyed this hike and told me she want to do more hikes like the way she used to. I told her that Mailbox was next with Stuart after that (yeah right) and told that both are very easy mountains for kids (just kidding). Seriously it was good to see her on the trail and to see her knock off a small summit. Overall another success although after two straight 14 mile hike I might have to take a long walk at Discovery Park tomorrow to keep the momentum.

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSun May 11, 2008 1:12 pm 
Here's a big up.gif up.gif up.gif for your wife. I had some health problems for many years, too, that kept me from hiking. It is difficult to get back into it, but if you start small and keep working at it, it gets easier. The mental thing has been tough for me to get over. Nature is healing, no matter how difficult the hike is.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun May 11, 2008 8:30 pm 
She was a trooper on that trip. She then joined me for a 5 mile walk in Discovery Park today. up.gif up.gif I was shicked because I originally didn't invite her thinking she would be too tired. She is tired now but very happy to be getting outdoors again. She might try some of Issaquah Alps in the near future (ie De leo Wall, Wilderness Peak, Squak Mtn, Little Si).

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostSun May 11, 2008 8:57 pm 
I climbed that peak many times as a kid. My buddies and I used to ride our bikes there and hike up with only one canteen between us, gorging on the red huckleberries on the way up.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
Curtissimo

Curtissimo
PostMon May 12, 2008 11:55 am 
looking good don goyo i will put my 3 pics up tomorrow at lunch (still pressing my dearest to get us home internet!).

BearQueen
Ready to Go

BearQueen
Ready to Go
PostTue May 13, 2008 10:39 pm 
Though I was in pain afterwords, I enjoyed this trip very much. It was a rough year but now that my health is better, I will be hitting the trail more. up.gif

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will live as one." by John Lennon I hope to do some summits and waterfalls this year with my husband EastKing.