Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Trail Park Passes or Income Taxes - ($)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jonathan

Jonathan
PostWed Feb 27, 2002 1:52 pm 
I kinda like the fact the enforcment people are at least visiting the parking lots, it should not be called a 'trail pass' but a 'parking fee'. It is not right to charge to hike but to have a place to park your car I can live with that. I know this; before the passes I got my truck broken into as many as three times one year, since them I have not been borken into in three years. The pass cost less than my glass deductable, but I would like to see more for my money.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostWed Feb 27, 2002 3:11 pm 
I may be one of the rare, but in almost 40 years of backpacking from trailheads and not, I have NEVER had a vehicle broken in to, so I don't think it's a question of enforcement. I am also not so sure enforcement comes from the fee collection dept.? Further, I noticed last year, that the Forest Service now has brand new trucks labeled Enforcement on them for just such proceedures. How much did those new vehicles cost and where did the money come from, plus what is paying the salaries of the enforcement? Reminds me of when the Steelhead Trout Club of Wash. (many yaers ago) donated money to the construction of the Tokul Creek Fish Hatchery, and the dept. used the funds to buy brand new trucks with it. Needless to say, the club was infuriated, but gave many man power hours (free) to its construction.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
catwoman

catwoman
PostWed Feb 27, 2002 3:44 pm 
Providing security, etc. is great (if that's the case), but my point is there should be PLENTY of already existing government funds to deal with it.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Mar 15, 2002 3:11 pm 
Interesting article i found today: Forest Managers Plan to Eliminate Fees Had one piece of info I didn't realize: "The program now faces its toughest test because President Bush's 2003 budget proposes making the federal recreation fees, which were imposed on an experimental basis since 1996, a permanent fixture on public lands next year."

Lurk

Lurk
PostFri Mar 15, 2002 4:31 pm 
I don't mind buying a pass if the fee collect is going to go for something local from where I bought the pass to begin with, the county say. But I do think they too high for many families. probably be 50.00 in the next few years.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Mar 15, 2002 5:16 pm 
If you want to play you gotta pay. However, the Forest Service is not being held accountable for the money from what I have read. I can do a better job with the money. Period.

Art is an adventure.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Mar 15, 2002 5:19 pm 
This country LIKE THIS STATE has a *spending* problem, NOT an income problem. There exsists monies EVERYWHERE for important things if you cut the crap! Government is way to inefficient. Performance audits are necessary!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostMon Mar 18, 2002 1:57 pm 
It's one thing to pay 5 bucks to park at a well developed and maintained trailhead (or 30 bucks for a yearly pass) but it is highly irritating to see that a charge is being made at a wide spot in the road such as the off road parking at Thorp Mtn Lookout trail which is only reached by driving some pretty miserable road. I don't think any of us really object to the fee IF we were assured that it was benefiting our forest situation. I, for one, am doubtful. I am looking forward now to turning 62 so I can get my National Parks Golden pass (the only advantage of aging) wink.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160