Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostTue May 27, 2008 1:33 pm 
Trip distance - 10 miles El. gain 3800'
Malcolm Route
Malcolm Route
Full set of pictures Another holiday and another chance to hike with Magellan, Quetzal Curtismo and EastKing. We had hoped to hit up the North Cascades but with the weather we opted to head east. Trying to find a peak that was new to us all wasn't the easiest until Malcolm was spied on the map. From the 29 Pines camground we followed Road 9701 for a few miles until we noticed the trail and a small sign on the right hand side of the road. It didn't take too long before we all realized how high the maturity level was going to be for the day.....
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt
The trail follows up along a creek which is crossed about half a dozen times in the first mile or so.
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (3)
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (3)
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (4)
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (4)
Somewhere on the trail we got a good view of Teanaway Butte to the south
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (8)
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (8)
After about a mile and a quarter the trail gain elevation above the trail and comes to a junction at 4500' where it meets up with the Johnson Creek Trail coming from the north.
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (12)
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (12)
Frome here we left the Jungle Creek Trail 1383.1 and started out on the Way Creek Trail 1235.
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (11)
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (11)
The trail at this point heads west on the north side of a ridge and had us crossing some snowy slopes. Some of us made good time traversing the snow while others stepped with greater caution as snow travel was still a developing comfort. Above us was what turns out to be Johnson Mt, which we did not summit, d'oh!! With gut instinct on our side we had traversed the slope right on track and emerged from the snow about 10 feet from the trail. Stopping at a good north facing vantage point we got great views afar.
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (15)
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (15)
The Glacier Lillies were out and in full beauty
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (19)
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (19)
We reached the jct for the Koppen Mt trail
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (17)
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (17)
and followed that leaving the Way Creek Trail behind. The Koppen Mt Trail follows along anither ridge (go figure!!). Parts of the trail was on the east side of the ridge which offered more snow travel.
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (20)
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (20)
At one point Magellan decided to drop down on the snow slope and ended up sliding down about 30 feet before some nice rocks slowed him to a stop eek.gif Luckily he had no open cuts, but was shaken up a bit, as were we as all we could do was watch from a distance. We took another break not to far on where Curt was seen eating baby food????
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (32)
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (32)
Flowers were out and basking in the sunlight
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (25)
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (25)
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (28)
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (28)
Nearing the ridge to Malcolm we were able to follow a boot path which lead the way to the summit, though sometimes covered with snow.
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (36)
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (36)
The summit was snowfree
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (37)
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (37)
where we made a new friend
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (38)
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (38)
Summit Pano
Summit Pano
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (68)
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (68)
An hour plus on the summit which included a 30 minute nap and we were off and back down the trail
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (72)
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (72)
We past a hunters camp and were surprised at all the stuff they had brought up, including 2 50 gallon drums
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (73)
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (73)
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (76)
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (76)
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (78)
5-26-08 Malcolm Mt (78)
At the jct of the Way Creek Trail and Koppen Mt trail we follwed the Way Creek Trail again, but this time we took the other fork which would give us a new return route and enable us to avoid the north facing, snow covered traverse. We did end up crossing some snow but not as much this time. most of the trail is south exposed and was rather dry and pleasant to hike along. We continued on until the trail turned into an old 4x4 road. The road was steep and not too fun to hike on. In no time though we were at the end of Road 9701 where the TH is for the Way Creek Trail. As we headed back down the road 1.5 miles to the car light rain started to drop pitter patter on our heads. Lucky for us though the rain only stuck around for a little bit. Back at the car we headed out and stopped on Hwy 970 at the Twin Pines trailer park where we got a much needed burger :drool: Back on I-90 we were nearly parked as thousands were heading home after the holiday weekend. Just past Easton the road cleared up and hwy speeds were reached as the rain started in earnest. It rained most of the way until we reached N. Bend and the skies cleared as I dumped my passengers off at the Issy Park and Ride. Summit Video And for the less than mature video.............. (don't like immature males? Don't watch then biggrin.gif )

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostTue May 27, 2008 1:46 pm 
Some of us (maybe just me) think immaturity = fun!! Thanks for the TR, better post that no shirt summit pic for the ladies of NWHIkers.net martial.gif looking tough (hee hee) but the giggling in the video gives you all away

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostTue May 27, 2008 2:20 pm 
lol.gif lol.gif gREAT vIDEO, Boys. lol.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostTue May 27, 2008 9:48 pm 
Here are some more great summit pics from our adventures.
MAlcolm Mountain 008
MAlcolm Mountain 008
MAlcolm Mountain 010
MAlcolm Mountain 010
MAlcolm Mountain 011
MAlcolm Mountain 011
MAlcolm Mountain 013
MAlcolm Mountain 013
MAlcolm Mountain 014
MAlcolm Mountain 014
MAlcolm Mountain 015
MAlcolm Mountain 015
MAlcolm Mountain 016
MAlcolm Mountain 016
MAlcolm Mountain 017
MAlcolm Mountain 017
Homez on the summit!
Homez on the summit!
MAlcolm Mountain 027
MAlcolm Mountain 027
MAlcolm Mountain 037
MAlcolm Mountain 037
Real Tough Mountain Man
Real Tough Mountain Man
MAlcolm Mountain 001
MAlcolm Mountain 001

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue May 27, 2008 11:12 pm 
Great pictures Bryan. You are getting very good, especially with the video editing! Thanks to Bryan for picking out this great trip. It is true that our immaturity reached a new all time low. I recommend not joining us on any trips unless you are completely insensitve. shakehead.gif I had never even heard of Malcolm before it was suggested. All I found was Karen's incomplete nine year old report. For some reason the 10+ miles felt pretty hard. There was quite a bit of up and down along the ridges. Lots of great views of the Teanaway. 10+ miles, 3800' of cumulative gain, eight hours car to car.

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostWed May 28, 2008 7:37 am 
Great trip "Men". Magellan, you missed one of my famous TR's on that area that not one person commented on. You might recognize a few places. It's beautiful up there with the flowers and mountain greenery and I really want to go back and do the whole loop someday.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
TPayne

TPayne
PostWed May 28, 2008 7:51 am 
Bryan, you're really becoming quite the video producer! I think you guys should start recording a few skits or something. The plunge-stepper was pretty funny. lol.gif

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostWed May 28, 2008 8:20 am 
Hey MC, we didn't get any cows today but we did happen to get stopped on I-90 due to a pair of Elk crossing the road at their leisure. TPayne, I'm off to Hollywood soon lol.gif

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostWed May 28, 2008 7:29 pm 
For anyone that would like some clues to help find the Malcolm Mtn summit trail, you can take a peak at http://www.wta.org/~wta/cgi-bin.dev/wtaweb.pl?7+reports+displayM+2003070906

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostWed May 28, 2008 10:21 pm 
Bryan, You did a killer job on that video. Good stuff. I have watched it ten times and still laugh at myself. lol.gif lol.gif

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Curtissimo

Curtissimo
PostFri May 30, 2008 5:26 pm 
dittos on the video. good time guys let's do it again soon (another peak that is)...

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri May 30, 2008 6:53 pm 
I forgot to mention my slide down the hill. I was crossing some steep snow when I start punching through into some rocks. I didn't want to break a leg so I headed down where I encountered the hardest snow of the day. I don't think I was paying enough attention. I ended up sliding downhill about 30 feet into some loose dirt and rocks. Only a few snow abrasions and a blood blister to show for it. Next time I will concentrate on going the best way instead of being on the 'official' trail.

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostFri May 30, 2008 11:11 pm 
Think of it this way, you got a free glissade!! No in all seriousness I think we were concerned about you when you took that fall. The good thing is that you are ok and ready for a more controlled glissade on the next trip. up.gif

BearQueen
Ready to Go

BearQueen
Ready to Go
PostSat May 31, 2008 10:33 pm 
Your wife loves that picture of you EastKing!! up.gif

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will live as one." by John Lennon I hope to do some summits and waterfalls this year with my husband EastKing.