Forum Index > Trip Reports > Heather Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Leafguy

Leafguy
PostSun Sep 28, 2003 4:03 pm 
If you're looking for an easy eastside hike with a nice sidetrip, this is a trip to consider. The trailhead can be reached via Smithbrook/Rainy Creek Road 6700 to the Little Wenatchee river Road 6701, or approach Road 6701 from Lake Wenatchee. From there proceed to the trailhead on Road 400. On the weekends this area is fairly crowded, so a weekday trip is probably more desirable. There is a rumor they may move the trailhead and parking further down the road to accomodate the crowds, but since that costs money, I doubt it will happen. But who knows? The trail to Heather Lake is about 3-1/2 miles with only one stretch of substantial ascent. The lake sits just below 4000' and is about 90 acres in size. The water is also quite warm. There are 3-4 campsites and a toilet on the NE side of the lake and a couple of sites at the far end of the lake. Bear sightings are not uncommon along the north side of the lake although we didn't see any. The sidetrip I refer to is Glasses Lake. Although only about 3/4 mile from the south end of Heather Lake, this lake only gets a fraction of the traffic. It is about 700 ' higher. Proceed across the logjam at the outlet of Heather and follow the trail up the eastside of the lake. It is somewhat overgrown and you'll get wet in the morning, so let your friends go first! Right before the inlet at the south end of Heather, the trail to Glasses heads off to the left at a large tree just above the creekbed. There is no sign. It seems easy to find, but last time I was there I ran into two groups that had missed it. One of the groups had been to the very end of the lake and followed a bunch of ribbons about 500' uphill leading to nowhere they said. I saw no ribbons while on the trail. The trail is not well traveled but still pretty easy to follow. At Glasses Lake there are a couple of nice campsites off to the right just as you get there. The lake itself is about 25 acres and has some pretty deep spots. Next time I hike that area, I will definitely camp at Glasses instead of Heather. I also saw some approaches dropping in from the PCT on the SW side of the lake.The flyfishing was excellent. Like I said, this place is crowded on weekends (at least to this eastsider). We passed hordes of folks on the way out on a Saturday.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostSun Sep 28, 2003 10:48 pm 
I'll agree, while this is truly one of the most beautiful spots in the Cascades (another product of the highly underrated, overrun and under-elevated Mt. Pilchuck), it can become more popular that Mt. Si or the Bellevue Square Mall on a nice Summer weekend. Best time to enjoy this trail is mid-week late April or early May, especially when it is raining, and you'll have a chance to experience this place for what it was really meant to be.

peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostSun Sep 28, 2003 10:55 pm 
yeah, I know, wrong Heather lake....................