Forum Index > Trip Reports > royal basin 5-31-2008
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat May 31, 2008 10:34 pm 
well, i was going to be funny with this thread, but i am spent so i'll just write a quick TR. goats gone wild, HJT, my friend susie and i got on the royal basin trail around 9:30 this morning. the road, 2870 is snow free, some potholes, and fallen rock. otherwise goats did a great job getting us to the trailhead without problems. we totally forgot to get our forest parking pass so we parked the car just before the fee sign. it was a gorgeous morning and since goats and i were pretty fresh, we had to have our hotness photo taken asap! off we went, over the river and through the woods. the dungeness river was flowing pretty good as was royal creek. we crossed some down trees but what was more amazing were the avalanches. there were several spots. we were glad to follow bootprints! on the other side of the trail, one can see where a nice size avalanche happened. we got into some snow and that's where the problem of getting to the lake occurred. we met some guys who told us just to follow their bootprints. we did but then the prints stopped. hhhmmm. lost the trail. we were so close but yet so far. i think we followed another set of prints leading us up a chute. when the prints ended, all we could see was this roaring river way below us. forget it! no biggie, lunch was on our minds anyway and afterwards we decided to bag the lake. so back we went. we almost forgot our shoe shots so when we got back to the bridge we did a bit of individual photos. it was a long 12 mile day. unsure of our elevation gain but definitely over 2500 feet! it was a great day to be out in the back country. afterwards, we headed back to sequim and had a delicious mexican dinner. thanks goats and HJT! bcfc53 and goats gone wild
DSC02623
DSC02623
avalanche/rockslide alley
avalanche across the way
goats rounding the turn
susie and bc looking cute
DSC02665
DSC02665
bc and goats looking cute
DSC02669
DSC02669
lower meadow
DSC02698
DSC02698
no rhody blooms
rock face
shoe shot
downed trees
potty break view
backpacks at TH

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostSat May 31, 2008 11:38 pm 
up.gif up.gif up.gif One of my favorite spots agree.gif No pictures of the lake? confused.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostSun Jun 01, 2008 6:20 am 
Thanks for the TR, bcfc53. I've been wondering how the melt-out on that trail is proceeding, and I assume it accelerated rapidly as you folks hiked through. wink.gif Too bad you didn't get to the lake, but it looks like a great day out there anyway. On that last photo taken in front of the TH sign, what's with all those blurred dots? Are those Yukon-sized skeeters massing to attack HJT?

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Jun 01, 2008 6:55 am 
no picture of the lake......anyway it would have been frozen. we overshot the trail and ended high above the lake shakehead.gif the bootprints somehow disappeared on us and too tired to look. i bet we were an eighth of a mile away! i think those dots were huge noseeums! agree.gif here's another fun picture!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSun Jun 01, 2008 8:55 am 
bcfc53 wrote:
Love this one! up.gif

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Jun 01, 2008 9:52 am 
yahoo for 14 miles......i decided to do the hike instead of running my 13 miler. i finally did something right!

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostSun Jun 01, 2008 1:18 pm 
bcfc53 wrote:
yahoo for 14 miles......i decided to do the hike instead of running my 13 miler. i finally did something right!
Woohoo! 14 miles! up.gif up.gif up.gif dance.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
Phil

Phil
PostSun Jun 01, 2008 2:25 pm 
Nice shot of gray wolf ridge....almost looks hikeable up there now.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Jun 01, 2008 5:08 pm 
susie and i were actually talking about doing the gray wolf traverse this summer. my problem is that my summer here begins mid-july bawl.gif can't wait!

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSun Jun 01, 2008 10:15 pm 
That looks like a really fun trip with a bunch of fun folks. I can't believe Goats did that long of a trip after the kind of spring she's been through. eek.gif

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen
PostSun Jun 01, 2008 10:44 pm 
Wow, that has melted out much more than I thought it would by now! Wonderful to see! agree.gif dance.gif

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon Jun 02, 2008 7:06 am 
Hiker Mama wrote:
That looks like a really fun trip with a bunch of fun folks. I can't believe Goats did that long of a trip after the kind of spring she's been through. eek.gif
goats is a trooper! her biggest problem that day was the SUN! mad.gif (the emoticons is for mad but i was going for the red effect biggrin.gif )

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostMon Jun 02, 2008 12:06 pm 
Wow, we did 14 miles. chickenleg.gif This was a great REUNION hike for bc, HJT & I. Meeting Susie was an added bonus. up.gif A couple of themes ran through my head during the entire hike: 1. I can meet up with my old friends and know that we will have a great time even before we set foot on the trail. That is the nature of NWHikers. up.gif up.gif Indeed we had a great time before, during and after the hike. I love NWHinkers. dance.gif 2. Deep breath. My oh my, how good it feels to be outside in the fresh air, next to a rushing stream, amongst tall trees and moss and ferns, moving along on my own two feet to the high country. It was a profound contrast to the way the operating room and hospital (a couple of weeks before) made me feel. No more being tied to machinery and confined to a bed. Yikes, I couldn't wait to get out of that place. Now, I'm free, free, free, to go wherever my feet take me. twirl.gif dance.gif twirl.gif Even the steps through the collasping snow bridges felt great!!! embarassedlaugh.gif 3. An added bonus: Completing one more trail on my to-do list of covering all the trails in the Olys. Gosh, it's getting darn close. I've been working on it for nearly two decades. So, along with the plodding, HJT and I were plotting all the places we want to go together this summer. We've got some mighty fine plans in the making. agree.gif hockeygrin.gif Thanks bc, for saving my burning bacon. I was so excited to go hiking, I neglected to throw in a long-sleeved white shirt for the snow slopes. Despite a lathering of sunscreen, I was frying to a crisp under the hot sun. BC was kind enough to loan me her white shirt (after I promised not to buxom off all the buttons lol.gif ) and saved the day!!! THANX BC up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif You're the best! ****I'll try and get some pics up soon.

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
raz2sea
Daddy RAZ

raz2sea
Daddy RAZ
PostMon Jun 02, 2008 12:14 pm 
Woo hoo GGW, glad to see you back on the trail, where a Goat should be. smile.gif

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostMon Jun 02, 2008 1:05 pm 
Thanks, Raz, hockeygrin.gif Yep, goats definitely belong in the Wild! When you get a hankering for the Olys, let me know; we'll go get Wild together. winksmile.gif lol.gif hockeygrin.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel