Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > "Phantom" at the Paramount
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Sep 29, 2003 2:48 pm 
Tanja and I went to the Sunday afternoon show of the "Phantom of the Opera" at the Paramount yesterday. Some impressions: The show is great! Top-notch performers, and the staging is practically miraculous. When the phantom takes Christine down into his subterranian lair, the lights and the fog and the "boat" were so realistic I couldn't believe it (or I guess I could believe it!) The Paramount is great except for the "sardine" thing. At the intermission, I turned to Tanja and said, "I feel like a well-entertained sardine", which drew some laughs and agreement from our neighbors. The foot and leg room would give Billy Barty leg cramps! The coctails they serve are so strong, I almost choked on my vodka-cranberry. Almost. The second one was better since I was prepared. dizzy.gif (Tanja drove home!) Tip: the bars upstairs are no-line even when the ones in the lobby are jammed. Better people-watching from up there as well. Get the best tickets you can afford. Binoculars are uncomfortable, and the facial expressions of the performers add a lot to the show. We were in the sixth row of the balcony, good but not great. One set of binos can be shared between at least four people. This show is among the best I've seen, right up there with the "Sound of Music" with Richard Chamberlain, better than "Secret Garden", "Martin Guerre", or "1776". The voice of the Phantom sometimes reminded me a little of Jack the Pumpkin King from "A Nightmare Before Christmas"(the movie). See it, or see it again, before it's too late!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message