Forum Index > Trip Reports > Summerland & Panhandle Gap MRNP - 9/27
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Rainier Guy

Rainier Guy
PostMon Sep 29, 2003 10:58 am 
I spent this last Saturday hiking with my wife to Summerland and Panhandle Gap. It was a great hike to see the fall colors. Not many people on the trail on the way in, maybe because we started at 9:30am or maybe because it is late in the season. Got to Summerland in less than 2 hours, walked through the camp and noticed some improperly hung food just waiting for a bear to eat it. Went on to Panhandle Gap and then over the ridge towards Indian Bar (we only went about a mile). The only excitement was on the way out when an insect landed on my sock, just above my boots, and stung me in the leg through my sock. Not 5 minutes later, walking down the trail we ran into a group of frightened hikers who went face to face with a bear. The bear ran off into the trees, but they were standing there waiting for it to reappear. A note for those planning to go to Sunrise. They've closed down the White River Ranger Station and the facilities at Sunrise for the season. White River campground was supposed to have been closed after the weekend.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Sep 29, 2003 11:38 am 
I see the facilities are closed but is the road still open to Sunrise?

Art is an adventure.
Duncan

Duncan
PostMon Sep 29, 2003 12:17 pm 
Rainier Guy, I did this hike for the first time earlier in the summer and had a blast. Sounds like i went just about as far as you did. I also ran into momma bear with a cub not too far from the Fryingpan Creek T/H. Was pretty cool as it was the first time I'd ever seen a bear up close. Managed to get a couple of pics before she disappeared into the brush.

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostMon Sep 29, 2003 1:18 pm 
Stefan wrote:
I see the facilities are closed but is the road still open to Sunrise?
The road in is closed at nights now....but it remains open to drive to Sunrise until the first significant snowfall. Or october 15th, whichever comes first I think. That's the last I saw posted on the area,effective 9/15.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostMon Sep 29, 2003 2:06 pm 
MRNP road status
Here's the scoop for those too lazy to check the MRNP website shakehead.gif Updated Sept. 22 White River Rd. to campground- closes Oct 13 White River Campground closes tomorrow Paradise Valley Rd.-closes Oct 13 Mowich Lk. Rd. & campground- closes Oct 19 Sunrise Rd.- closes end of Oct. (snow & road conditions permitting) Stevens Canyon Rd.- closes Nov 16

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Sep 29, 2003 4:22 pm 
I did Summerland about 3 weeks ago and got a face to face encounter also with a blackie.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource

whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource
PostMon Sep 29, 2003 4:32 pm 
Rainier Guy wrote:
The only excitement was on the way out when an insect landed on my sock, just above my boots, and stung me in the leg through my sock.
I did this trail about 4 weeks ago and was also stung (on my wrist) by a pesky bee. One other time the NPS had a big warning about a particular bee hive on the trail, it had yellow caution tape around it. Seems like there are lots of bee's on this trail. I didn't see the bear but other people mentioned that they saw it.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostMon Sep 29, 2003 4:41 pm 
Speaking of bees or stinging insects, I don't know if it was on this site, WTA or what have you, but I recently read that there is a big swarm of 'em just after the start of the "backdoor" trail to Grand Park (from FS Rd. 73, past Lk. Eleanor). Many people in separate groups of hikers stung. eek.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Sep 29, 2003 4:46 pm 
I got stung real bad on saturday at Sunrise eek.gif It hurt bad! They are very aggresive this year.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.