Forum Index > Trip Reports > Glacier Basin
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Sep 29, 2003 8:36 pm 
Rubberlegs agreed to take a breather and do something easy for a change. Good for me! I've wanted to explore the mines of Monte Cristo for a long time, but haven't had the chance. Rubberlegs is just the man to give a tour. Biked to Monte Cristo, stashed 'em, hiked up the trail, bashed up to the Justice Mine, explored the innards - the old rails, stopes, ladders. Stalactites are forming, too! Don't touch one or you'll destroy a hundred years of slow, hard work. It was cold, cold, cold inside the mine - it felt good after being out in the heat! The trail beyond Justice Mine & the big falls gets steep and at times is a scramble, but nothing irritating. Its quite fun, actually. The Basin is gorgeous, plenty of water. Bugs, though...a wierd kind, one I've never seen. They hurt like hell when they bite, too! Saturday morning, rubberlegs explored more mines while putz-in-boots & I were content to wander in the meadows. Later, we all bashed up Mystery Hill to explore the ruins of the tramway. Cool stuff. My favorite part was, was that while off trail, bashing around Mystery Hill, not on a trail of any sort, we looked up to see an old blaze on a cedar! God I love stuff like that! I get all tingly thinking about the people who are long-gone, those who built the trails, towns, who mined, traded, whored - or are they gone....? How romantic and wonderful to feel their presence all around! My legs are bruised, scratched up, battered, and generally look wasted. That means I've had a great weekend! Here are some photos to enjoy.
Those really big waterfalls & mountains & stuff on the way to GB
Those really big waterfalls & mountains & stuff on the way to GB
Glacier Basin, sorta ( it's really the cirque over the basin)
Glacier Basin, sorta ( it's really the cirque over the basin)
Toward Monte Cristo from Justice Mine
Toward Monte Cristo from Justice Mine

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostTue Sep 30, 2003 8:44 am 
Quark, enjoyed the read and the photos over a cup of coffee this morning, thanks! McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
salish

salish
PostTue Sep 30, 2003 8:50 am 
Quark, this is a neat report. I've thought about those miners and laborers many times while climbing into Glacier Basin. Your thoughts echo mine. What rough, tough guys they must have been. Thanks for the report.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostTue Sep 30, 2003 8:59 am 
Cliff, (thread drift here a little) get back to work! Just kidding guy... McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com