Forum Index > The Trading Post > For Sale: Raichle Rotondo Boots
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
salish

salish
PostSat Aug 23, 2003 10:05 am 
Hi there, I have for sale a pair of Raichle Rotondo boots. These are vintage heavy duty mountaineering boots, designed for harsh off trail hiking or general mountaineering. I bought these right here on nwhiker.com last year from Mark S. (thanks Mark, but they just don't fit). They are size 9.5 W (wide). I wanted a good pair of these older Raichle's so badly I took a gamble on these boots and tried to make them fit, but it's a no-go. After two trips to Dave Page (and others) I discovered they just won't work. No matter what types of sock combinations I wear, the left boot breaks just behind my big toe and presses down so hard it hurts. Acording to Page, there is nothing that can be done to alleviate this. These boots have a few scuffs and there is a slight abrasion in the collar on one of the boots, but they are not broken in yet. These are the double-leather shell, wide norwegian welt, d-rings from the toe, and leather lined (no goretex). They are heavy, but like McPil says, these Raichles are heavy but protect your foot like no other boot made. I paid $80.00, so that's what I'm asking. Please drop me a line if you are interested in test driving them. I'm attaching a picture of the boots. Regards, Cliff ps - if anyone knows of some old Raichle boots like these in 9W, that they are interested in selling, please let me know. Thanks.
Raichle1
Raichle1

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
-lol-

-lol-
PostSun Aug 24, 2003 11:39 am 

salish

salish
PostSun Aug 24, 2003 6:33 pm 
2drx: You got that right. I'm still on the hunt for another pair, hoping to find some that fit. In the meantime I'm researching custom boots and trying to find out if anyone can copy the style. Know what you mean about REI back in the 70's. I still have a pair of all leather, hi top, heavy lug sole, lace to toe boots that I bought in 75' at the old store. After 28 years of use, cleaning, greasing, etc., they still work well, although they are a little weak around the ankles. It's just that my feet have changed a little bit between the ages of 21 & 49! Guess what pack I'm using in the Enchantments next week smile.gif Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
kraitcatcher

kraitcatcher
PostTue Sep 30, 2003 6:10 pm 
hey,no problem,been looking high and low for a pair like those,had some way,way back.I wax nostalgic just looking at them.if he wears that size I will contact you and see what can be arranged.try to let you know by next monday as I wont see him until sunday.Have a Crotalus day,James

currently looking for backpacking partners for next may for a week in the trinity alps,asnd some other trips and help on a book that will involve tons of camping
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Oct 01, 2003 12:06 am 
Hey guys, since you seem to be sympatico with me on boots.... anyone know what is available *new* in an old school mtn boot like the Raichles or Fabianos? I don't want a pair of light hikers, anything with gore tex anywhere, I don't want somebody telling me their light boot works as well as a 3.5 lb pair of leather war horses on steep sloppy sidehills with a full pack, because it's horsesh*t through and through. I want to kick a step in *anything* that isn't rock, without looking down, and have it stay put. I don't care what's trendy and in, I want a boot that *works* in all conditions. Since Wilderness Sports in Bvue closed and REI sells naught but crap, what am I to do? The only concession to less than heavy duty is I neither want nor need full shank, it's just too much. 3/4 metal is fine. Any comments on where to find real boots new?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
KellieD

KellieD
PostWed Oct 01, 2003 7:51 am 
So, are these a men's 9 1/2W? Is the toebox a decent width, or does it run narrower? I have a problem spot where my toes attach to my foot, and have to have plenty of width there.

Every day a new adventure.
salish

salish
PostWed Oct 01, 2003 8:31 am 
Goat - you had to ask, didn't you? Well, I've been researching this for the past couple of years, and unless a used Raichle (or Vasque Montana) pops up in my size I may go the route of a custom boot. I don't think any of the current production or custom boots approach the "stoutness" of the old Raichles, although the Limmer Standard appears to be really close. Here are some links to manufacturers and custom bootmakers that I've taken a close look at. Limmer http://www.limmerboot.com/home.html / the Standards have the traditional norwegian welt and have leather lining. Current backlog is 3.5 years and the current price is $750.00. Ouch. Hanwag Boots: http://www.hanwag.co.uk/acatalog/bergell_top_1.html - the Bergell models have norwegian welt and appear to be very stout mountaineering boots, but they have goretex lining. Viberg Boots: (Victoria B.C.): http://www.workboot.com/hiker.htm / Viberg has been making logging boots for generations and have a couple of hikers, one model that has norwegian welt and d-rings, etc. Nice looking boot but doesn't approach the Raichles for toughness. Crary Boots (Portland, OR): (custom) http://www.craryshoes.com/gallery/index.htm / offers custom made hikers that look good, again, norwegian welt, etc., but I'm just not too crazy about them. Van Gorkom Custom Boots (Smithers, BC) http://www.hikingbootshandcrafted.com/pages/1/ These are really interesting, and I've spoken with Charles Van Gorkom a couple of times, and have his foot measuring kit at home. I may go this route. Still, they aren't as huge as the Raichles. Definitely worth a look, though. I'll wait until the spring before ordering from any of these companies and in the meantime I'll continue to look for a used pair of Raichles. Cliff
MtnGoat wrote:
Hey guys, since you seem to be sympatico with me on boots.... anyone know what is available *new* in an old school mtn boot like the Raichles or Fabianos? I don't want a pair of light hikers, anything with gore tex anywhere, I don't want somebody telling me their light boot works as well as a 3.5 lb pair of leather war horses on steep sloppy sidehills with a full pack, because it's horsesh*t through and through. I want to kick a step in *anything* that isn't rock, without looking down, and have it stay put. I don't care what's trendy and in, I want a boot that *works* in all conditions. Since Wilderness Sports in Bvue closed and REI sells naught but crap, what am I to do? The only concession to less than heavy duty is I neither want nor need full shank, it's just too much. 3/4 metal is fine. Any comments on where to find real boots new?

salish

salish
PostWed Oct 01, 2003 8:49 am 
KellieD wrote:
So, are these a men's 9 1/2W? Is the toebox a decent width, or does it run narrower? I have a problem spot where my toes attach to my foot, and have to have plenty of width there.
Kellie, these are mens 9.5 W (wide). The toebox in generous. I have the same problem with wide feet and my toes are cramped in just about every boot I've ever tried. I wear an 8.5 Wide street shoe, and a 9 Wide boot (currently wearing Sundowners). These Rotondos are wide enough in the toebox (and long enough) that I have to wear a liner and Smartwool expedition socks or other heavy wool socks in order to fill the boot up. The toebox on the left boot breaks just behind the nail on my big toe and grinds into my toe, causing extreme pain. I've taken the boots ot Dave Page (and others) and there's nothing that can be done about it. Anyway, please contact me offline or send me a PM if you have any other questions - I don't want to bore all other readers with this. Thanks, Cliff

Dante

Dante
PostWed Oct 01, 2003 10:19 am 
Limmer also offers production boots (made in Italy IIRC). They won't be custom made for you, but you won't have to wait three years. I just got this response from by e-mail Ken Smith of Limmer (limmerandsons@data-web.net) Hello Dante, We'll get a brochure out to you tomorrow. How it works is you follow instructions on tracing your feet and taking some measurements and submit those to us and we try to match them up with what we feel would be the most appropriate size for you. Thanks, Ken Peter Limmer and Sons Alico also makes some nice traditional boots like the Guide, but I don't know if the guide is available in the US. Sierra Trading Post has the Summit on sale for $120 now.
P.S. My father-in-law has some Rotondos in his basement. I can't recall the size--just that it's not my size. I'll see if he will part with them.

salish

salish
PostWed Oct 01, 2003 10:54 am 
Dante, that is a good looking boot! I have an email in to the manufacturer asking if they come in widths (9 W), as well as asking about other US dealers (and prices in US dollars). I have talked with Ken Smith at least twice in the past month and he was very helpful with my questions about the Limmer standards. I have his foot-tracing/measuring kit, and he did mention that they have some boots in stock for those who don't want to wait. After asking me several questions about my feet, however, he concluded that I'm probably a better candidate for custom boots. Thanks for the link to these Alico boots. Cliff

Dante

Dante
PostWed Oct 01, 2003 11:16 am 
Salish wrote:
Dante, that is a good looking boot! I have an email in to the manufacturer asking if they come in widths (9 W), as well as asking about other US dealers (and prices in US dollars). I have talked with Ken Smith at least twice in the past month and he was very helpful with my questions about the Limmer standards. I have his foot-tracing/measuring kit, and he did mention that they have some boots in stock for those who don't want to wait. After asking me several questions about my feet, however, he concluded that I'm probably a better candidate for custom boots. Thanks for the link to these Alico boots. Cliff
Don't mention it. I'm boot shopping, too. My sub-3-pound Asolo FSN 95 Gore-Tex Editor's Choice wunderboots were great while they lasted, but they only lasted a couple season's of light-to-moderate use (I didn't get out that much). I'm looking at Limmer Standards or Mid-Weights, but I might order a pair of the Alico Summits from STP to try on. Whatever you do, consider hiking for a few miles before you trace/measure your feet (in the same socks you will wear with your new boots). Also consider wearing your typical load when you do so. Just make sure you tell the recipient of the tracing/measurements so they don't double-compensate. Please let us know what you find out about the Alico Guides. Good luck smile.gif P.S. You might also take a drive up North to try on La Sportiva Makalus at MEC.

kraitcatcher

kraitcatcher
PostWed Oct 01, 2003 5:23 pm 
Ok Goat, and all the other "old school"hikers out there longing for a pair of the old fashion waffle stompers,I found this guy in BC,Canada,Charles Van Gorkom,www.hikingbootshandcrafted.com,he makes custom fitted hiking boots like we want,but as I said,there custom made.check out the pictures on his web site,I am planning to order a pair in the next couple of months,they are a bit pricy($435 usd),but my feet are so messed up,and they are hand made and they are guaranteed,and the fact that they can be resoled unlike those other"hiking boots" shakehead.gif that they should be a life time investment,but,if you don't want to spend that kind of money,check out LL Beans"North Col Hikers"I do belive they are head and shoulders above any Gor-Tex hikers out there now(based on what i'm looking at on there web site) and have read good reviews on them at $150.in the meantime,as I said,I will let my friend know what kind of killer deal this is and should not pass on it,if he is the right size,i'll let you know

currently looking for backpacking partners for next may for a week in the trinity alps,asnd some other trips and help on a book that will involve tons of camping
kraitcatcher

kraitcatcher
PostWed Oct 01, 2003 5:34 pm 
DJ,just fyi,I have been in e-mail contact with Alicosport Italy,and have been advised that a shipment of "Guides"will be sent to STP. in mid october,I had been interested in a pair of 8.5's and the rep is going to e-mail me at the time of shipment,I will let every one know when that hapens to give y'all a jump on ordering as I have been told that it not a real big order,James

salish

salish
PostWed Oct 01, 2003 5:48 pm 
Kraitcatcher, thanks for the tip on the Alico boot shipment. I've talked with Charles Van Gorkom twice in the past month. I have his measuring kit, too. He's a great guy and seems to be really knowledgeable about boots. He apprenticed (for lack of a better word) under Randy Merrell. As you know by now he makes two collar sizes. His welt is not a true norwegian welt, but something else. I'm taking a really close look at his boots. What is STP, and where is it? Cliff

OverTheHill

OverTheHill
PostWed Oct 01, 2003 6:00 pm 
All this interesting chatter about rugged "old-style" boots got my brain going. I used Raichle's for many years and 500+ summits. But I eventually switched to Galibi'er, and found them even more rugged and a better fit. I particularly enjoyed their Peuterey model; so much that I purchased a "spare pair" when I heard that model might be discontinued. Just dug through the climbing closet and the extra pair is still there, still "new in the box." As my well-broken-in pair still have more miles left than I'll likely ever need, it seems logical to put the new pair up for adoption, to a worthy pair of long and narrow feet. Any such out there?