Forum Index > Trip Reports > Noble Knob from Corral Pass
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Sep 30, 2003 11:14 pm 
I hit 405 south in Lynnwood at high noon, and was at Corral pass at 2:30. FS rd 7174 really bites. Not FS 56 bad, but still plenty bad. It is driveable, though. I got out the world's heaviest mtn bike, the Giant Boulder ( I kid you not), and took off with my shocked pup trying like heck to keep up. I have been to the Knob before, but from the backside, so this area was new to me. Very dusty trail, but otherwise fine, much better than the road. The ride is a little scary for someone like me who hasn't ridden his bike in a couple of years. The trail seems about 8 inches wide, and one false turn and it's off to the races down to 28 mile lake and certain doom. It is mostly up hill on the way there, with the downhills being too short and steep to enjoy. I stopped so often for pictures and to water the dog, that a fast-walking couple actually beat me to the Knob! Mt Rainier was out in all his glory, but the sun was behind him so my pictures are so-so. I locked my bike to the sign saying no bikes, and headed up the Knob, with the dog running ahead as if to say "Not so fast without your little machine, huh monkey boy?" I let her have her fun. Noble Knob is cool, a few small explorations are possible. The network of clearcuts and spiderweb of roads is somewhat of a downer, but I just looked towards Rainier and tried not to think about it. We spent an hour and a half on the Knob, and headed back at 5:45. It took 35 minutes to descend the Knob and push my bike up the serious hill after that. The three miles back to the car from there went by in 40 minutes, maybe only 1/2 actual riding, the rest picture-taking and just enjoying the views. The dog got her comeuppance, I can tell you! The ride back is super-fun, with just two walk-up hills and the rest a nice downhill grade. Daisy kept up just fine, but she gained some respect for "old slowpoke" as she calls me (with her expressive eyes). I did this hike last year on September 30th as well, and the colors then were better than today, since they are past their prime already. We got back to the car at 7 pm, 4 hours or so to go 8 miles and see cool things. I stayed up by the pass to watch the sunset, not leaving until all the color was gone from the horizon, about 8:30. I got home at just before 11, and I am typing this now. Good night.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Oct 01, 2003 11:08 pm 
I used to ride a mtn bike all the time, but almost never in the actual mountains. I didn't ride it for two years because the seat and post were stolen and two years is how long it takes me to get around to something like getting a new seat and post. I have ridden that Monte Hall, Monte Python, Monte whatever road before, and some parts were too "technical" for me, so I walked those parts. The bike is a part of my "arsenal" too long neglected. It is truly required for the Monte Christo hikes, and will come in handy after the Middle fork road is closed. It will make the return down the road easier, that's for sure. I also want to use it for closing loops, like N fork Sauk to Curry gap, etc. I know what you mean about hitting all the worst rocks. I forgot how to make the rear wheel miss rocks! The front was OK, but the rear wheel has a mind of its own. The main reason for the bike is to show my dog that I deserve some respect. She spends half of each hike looking back over her shoulder, obviously thinking "Can he walk any slower?" She is singing a different tune now, let me tell you! She was looking at me like a parent watching their child take its first steps. I felt proud to have my dog's respect. I kept cackling and saying "How you like me now, eh?" I probably won't bike that much, since most places worth going don't allow bikes. I guess I should get a book or something. Thanks for the encouragement.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message