Forum Index > Food & Grub > Let's talk nutrition.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jun 16, 2008 5:07 pm 
Stefan wrote:
I eat a lot of fat for dinner so I can have the energy reserves for the next day. Cheese does best for me. Protein is a must for muscles, and I eat Johsonville Brats during the day. For me, on the first day, I take drink about 100 liters of frozen concentrate apple juice. That's about 1400 calories of carbohydrate. I still get tired no matter what I do when I go over 6000 feet in a day.
Stefan, youre a bloody mtn goat. How do you eat JB's during the day? Do you pre cook them and eat them in bites?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Traildad

Traildad
PostMon Jun 16, 2008 5:18 pm 
Wazzu_camper wrote:
By the way, T-Joes has just flatten dried bananas that I love, and you get like 6 bananas worth, very lightweight and they contain all the nutrients of fresh fruit, also no chance of them getting crushed. smile.gif
Nice tip. I have to go check those out!

Life is short so live it well.
Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!
PostMon Jun 16, 2008 5:19 pm 
That's cool Sarbar, to each his or her own. I personally like dried fruit as much as fresh, so it isn't an issue to me. I also have no problem wearing the same pair of pants for the whole trip and usually do that anyways.

Luc

Luc
PostMon Jun 16, 2008 5:25 pm 
sarbar wrote:
Then again....I am also known for steam baking cake and muffins on the trail as well biggrin.gif
oooh! Do tell!

GNGSTR
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostMon Jun 16, 2008 5:30 pm 
I have adopted Stefan's whole Johnsonville Brat idea. It's a good one. I can't eat them every trip, but I usually take them if I know there's going to be snow around camp. I don't like carrying unsealed Brats and eating them after they've warmed up in my pack. As long as they're sealed, I don't care what temp they get to (within reason) because they're pre-cooked straight out of the package. Once they're opened, though, I like to put the remainder of them in the snow so they stay cool. I will eat three at a time, so I usually eat three when I get to camp, put three in the snow, then eat three the next day for lunch (or dinner). I have seen unsealed ones turn green if it's hot out. This is a sign to me that it's probably not good to eat at this point. I also buy cheese (the good stuff from the deli case). My favorite is Kerrygold Coastal Cheddar. It's pretty darned good. I also bring tortillas (packable, lots of sodium), and occasionally bring canned Vienna sausages. I always bring hot sauce and drink it straight from the bottle. This gives me more sodium. I am addicted to Habanero Tabasco. I usually do a bottle every 2 days. My tent mates usually aren't happy with the results, though. Gummy bears and chocolate are a must. I have brought pesto in the bottle and dried pasta, pine nuts, and grated parmesan for big climbs where I need a lot of energy (Liberty Ridge, for example). This recipe works wonders for your energy level. Gatorade mix and whiskey for beverages (by themselves -- not together). edit: oh I get it, B.L.D. = breakfast lunch dinner. doh.gif Well there you have it, my complete mountain menu. PS .. I don't mean to put words into Stefan's mouth, but I'm pretty sure he means 10 liters of frozen juice concentrate vs 100. 100L is not recommended. hockeygrin.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jun 16, 2008 5:44 pm 
Wazzu_camper wrote:
That's cool Sarbar, to each his or her own. I personally like dried fruit as much as fresh, so it isn't an issue to me.
I have braces so dried isn't much of an option for me unless I stew them frown.gif Ina bout 1 1/2 years I can go back to chomping away.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jun 16, 2008 5:45 pm 
Luc wrote:
sarbar wrote:
Then again....I am also known for steam baking cake and muffins on the trail as well biggrin.gif
oooh! Do tell!
Meet The FauxBaker. There are many ways to do it, I cover 3 ways so far, with more to come - so do scroll down the page to see all the ways smile.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jun 16, 2008 6:24 pm 
Let me just say thank you to everyone for your advice and ideas. I knew this thread would be a good one. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
dRoberts

dRoberts
PostMon Jun 16, 2008 6:38 pm 
just a word of caution, don't go sodium heavy. I went on a 5 day trek through ONP, on day 3 started feeling sick, didn't do much on day 4, headed home on 5, and about a mile from the TH started puking. When i got home i saw a doctor (worried about common trailside sicknesses :S) he said I had sodium poisoning from eating basically all those 'just add water' meals and beef jerky and trail mix (salty nuts). Just to something to keep in mind. Fresh fruit (which my friend luckily packed) was about the only thing keeping me going. I never hit the trail without fruit now.

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature-have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. Rom. 1:20
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostMon Jun 16, 2008 6:49 pm 
It could be your body type, but I eat a ton of sodium and don't have a problem. If you're sweating, you are getting rid of sodium constantly, so I have a hard time seeing how it would ever have a chance of building up to a dangerous level. Another interesting aspect about sodium is your body cannot absorb water without it. Have you ever sweat a lot on a hot day in the mountains and seen white streaks on your face? Of course, that's sodium. You are constantly leaking it out of your pores, and you've got to replenish it somehow. I have a tendency to push a bit hard, so maybe I'm a special case, but sodium helps me out. Still, good to know you can puke from too much sodium. Different strokes for different folks, but I hardly ever eat fruit (but I do eat a TON of vegetables).

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jun 16, 2008 7:55 pm 
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
It could be your body type, but I eat a ton of sodium and don't have a problem. If you're sweating, you are getting rid of sodium constantly, so I have a hard time seeing how it would ever have a chance of building up to a dangerous level. Another interesting aspect about sodium is your body cannot absorb water without it. Have you ever sweat a lot on a hot day in the mountains and seen white streaks on your face? Of course, that's sodium. You are constantly leaking it out of your pores, and you've got to replenish it somehow. I have a tendency to push a bit hard, so maybe I'm a special case, but sodium helps me out. Still, good to know you can puke from too much sodium. Different strokes for different folks, but I hardly ever eat fruit (but I do eat a TON of vegetables).
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...ok. I am not going to argue here but I am shaking my head sadly. Your kidneys push out the excess sodium - but with too much sodium, lack of potassium and or undiagnosed high blood pressure you are asking for real problems. Throwing up is rarely a good sign. You don't need a lot of sodium in most cases. Very few people do. Your kidneys will save what you need. What you might not realize is that what you should be more concerned with is getting a balance of electrolytes - and that means a healthy portion of potassium. Without a healthy balance you can't take in water correctly, you don't think clearly, can develop heart issues, muscle fatigue, etc. Hence why I carry potato chips. They have tons of potassium, are easy to eat and the tiny amount of sodium helps one stay hydrated (increasing thirst) On a side note potassium helps regulate sodium in our bodies. What you want is natural potassium, ie potassium rich foods (green ones, fruit, etc!) I live on a for the most part low sodium diet. And yes, I sweat just as much as everyone else when hiking. Backpacking is NO excuse to pork out on salt!!!! Come on everyone, get your BP checked a couple times a year and ask your Dr about salt intake! The typical American diet gives us plenty more than we need frown.gif Ok, off my soap box. You have to understand that at 35 it sucks to be on BP meds and live a low sodium diet. Both my parents died young from complications from uncontrolled BP - part of which a high sodium diet increased.

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jun 16, 2008 10:31 pm 
Peanut Butter Jelly Joe wrote:
Stefan wrote:
I eat a lot of fat for dinner so I can have the energy reserves for the next day. Cheese does best for me. Protein is a must for muscles, and I eat Johsonville Brats during the day. For me, on the first day, I take drink about 100 liters of frozen concentrate apple juice. That's about 1400 calories of carbohydrate. I still get tired no matter what I do when I go over 6000 feet in a day.
Stefan, youre a bloody mtn goat. How do you eat JB's during the day? Do you pre cook them and eat them in bites?
Johnsonville Brats are already cooked. No need to cook them. Just eat them straight out of the packaging. There is enough salt in them to last a couple of days without refrigeration.

Art is an adventure.
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostMon Jun 16, 2008 11:13 pm 
Ah...the old "salt - no salt" debate
Personally.... I hike the Eastside a lot (no, not Bellevue) and the temps out here in the summer mean lots of water and lots of electrolytes. I take "Stresstabs" - which are the modern version of salt pills. They are buffered potassium chloride, and I have a hard time taking as many as the directions call for ( some ungodly amount) - but take six -eight a day on a hard push. For me ( and just for me, ok?) I find that this extra intake of electrolytes is vital to keep me from feeling woozy, as I'm pushing like two gallons of water a day through my system, and peeing out very little. As for food... I like the hard salami - Oberto. It keeps forever and is nutrient -electrolyte - calorie dense. A pound stick has like 14,000 calories - which mean that if you eat one pound, you will gain three. wink.gif For the first day meal - try hot dogs. Hebrew National is my fave. Freeze the package, wrap in aluminum foil & wrap your extra shirt around that. Carry the buns on the outside of your pack, up high. Just let them flop around - they'll be ok... Get some of those little packets of mustard, relish & ketchup from the fast food joints. Cook over a campfire (yes, we do that around these parts) on a stick ( bring one from home). Best part - no clean-up. Ditto on the bagels. They travel well & with a small packet of cream cheese and a pack of the 3 ounce or so "tuna steaks" or smoked salmon makes a hell of a fine sandwich, especially with a little restaurant size pack of cranberry sauce and some sprouts. Yummy!!

dobson

dobson
PostMon Jun 16, 2008 11:44 pm 
You guys eat much better than I do on the trail. I rarely remember to pack food until the last minute. As a result, my food choices are simple and rather mundane. My staples are clif bars and "trad sandwiches" (ham and cream cheese on a bagel). I will sometimes spice this up with trail mix and/or some crasins. To cure the munchies on the trail, I keep some Werther's in every pocket so I can grab one anytime. Sucking on candy helps you forget that you've been postholing for the past 6 hours. On multiday trips I usually add a freeze-dried meal and/or some oatmeal. I also take packs of tuna. That's about it. I suppose that if I ever had to do a long (expedition style) trip I would want to spice things up a bit. As it is, I feel that I can survive off of boring foods for a few days; there's always food at home to look forward to. Phillip p.s. I love it when my partners bring too much tasty food and beg me to eat some to ease their load.

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!
PostTue Jun 17, 2008 8:17 am 
With regards to too much sodium, just drink a bunch more water. You just need to have a balance between water, sodium, and potassium. Having too little sodium can be just as bad if not worse as having too much. Both conditions can kill you. Just ask any ultra-marathon runners. Also, I'm pretty damn sure your body can get rid of excess sodium very easily provided you give it enough water. I also can't say I worry about too much sodium on the trail though. Judging by the amount of salt that comes off my skin/backpack straps at the end of a week long trip, I swear I could fill a salt shaker. If you think that is gross you should see my bike helmet after STP.