Forum Index > Food & Grub > .
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

PostTue Jun 17, 2008 7:33 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
yukon222

yukon222
PostTue Jun 17, 2008 7:38 pm 
Soft shell tacos or fajitas. Only the meat would be for that meal, with the rest of the ingredients available to use for lunches, snacks.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Jun 17, 2008 7:45 pm 
Grab the grill of your barbecue at home & toss that in (or get a smaller one) for grilling. Wrap corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes in foil & toss those on the fire while the meat is grilling. Get some boullion and throw it in the pot and cube up some leftover bbq meat from the previous day (take an ice chest, of course) add veggies and have a pot o' stew with rolls. Roasted kielbasa or brats on a stick while corn is roasting on the fire. Make ahead pastie-pies. Store boughten pie crust, fill individual little pie pockets with with cubed cooked meat, carrots, rutabegs, potatoes, onion - salt & pepper. Wrap in foil and toss on the fire (be sure to rotate it often, or else half the crust will be a doughy glob and other other half will be burnt).

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
KarenČ
A Real Canadian Girl

KarenČ
A Real Canadian Girl
PostTue Jun 17, 2008 7:55 pm 
I like to do all the prep work at home, then just reheat it so I spend more time hiking and photographing than cooking and cleaning dishes while on the road! hockeygrin.gif I've cooked up everything from fajitas, beef stew, butter chicken, homemade soups etc then freeze it in portioned sized ziplocs. I then keep it in the cooler where it gradually defrosts until ready to eat. Mind you this only works for the first couple days, then I switch over to spaghetti! wink.gif

I leave only footprints...and lens caps. http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Jun 17, 2008 8:32 pm 
Burrito night is always fun! Mac N' Cheese with steamed veggies.....and bread. Btw, the stores in Yellowstone actually sell more than junk food. The prices are kept same as out of the park - no gouging. So if you need bread, PB, whatever no issues.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostTue Jun 17, 2008 8:36 pm 
Costco sells salmon in frozen single serving pouches. I brought several of those to Yellowstone last year, grilled them in foil pouches with oranges on top. They keep well in a cooler until you cook it and dont smell. Fantastic Foods has a great vegetarian chili mix. Just add a can of black beans and tomato, simmer a little, and it's done. Quesadillas work well too. Couscous is great, almost no cooking to it. I've mixed couscous, garbanzo beans, sliced zucchini, frozen peas, green onions, and curry powder with good results too. Very tasty. EDIT: Here you go, from todays Seattle PI: Camp cuisine

Davidč
Token Canadian

Davidč
Token Canadian
PostTue Jun 17, 2008 9:27 pm 
Wow I'm embarrassed by all this effort. borank.gif I have no problem with hot dogs, in fact having them six days a week would probably be a step up from what I'm used to at home

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostTue Jun 17, 2008 10:23 pm 
Not better than hot dogs, but at least different, and actually easy: canned stew, canned ravioli, etc.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Jun 17, 2008 10:40 pm 
Gee, Conrad where were you several years ago on my first solo car camping trip, when all I could think of to eat was 2 boxes of Lu cookies (on sale), canned chocolate pudding and instant rice, all purchased at Bartell's on the way out of town? dizzy.gif Canned ravioli. doh.gif up.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostTue Jun 17, 2008 11:49 pm 
Wow, I eat way better when I'm camping than at home. Bake some potatoes before you leave. You can do twice baked potatoes and wrap them in foil and heat them up on the campfire. Throw a couple good steaks on the grill. BBQ hamburgers. Do some shis-ka-bob, brats, sweet corn in foil. Take paper plates and buy some plastic holders so you don't have to mess with dishes. The small table top grills that run off the 1 lb canister are nice. I always have one along. I have one of the Extreme coolers and it will keep ice for a week, so freeze a nice chunk of salmon in foil and throw that on the grill/fire about day 3. Same for marinated chicken breasts. Ribs are easy. Everything I do goes on the campfire with a stainless grill or in a pinch on the cook stove. There are plenty of instant side dishes that only need boiling water. I despise washing dishes when camping, so I take plenty of heavy duty foil and line pots, pans etc. so I don't have a mess. Foil is king when camping!..... Grab some of the foil pans and cookers. They come in all kinds of sizes. I've done turkey hindquarters on the campfire many times. Catch some fish. You'll be in prime fishing area. Wrap a nice trout in foil with lemon/butter and a bit of bbq sauce. up.gif I don't usually cook a breakfast and grab a muffin/bagel/cinnimon roll or something simple.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jun 17, 2008 11:52 pm 
I like fresh trout and poodle medallions hungry.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostWed Jun 18, 2008 8:17 am 
Conrad wrote:
canned stew, canned ravioli, etc.
P.S. Don't forget the can opener! I keep a cheap can opener in my permanent camping kit.