Forum Index > Gear Talk > velcro to prevent bag/mat slippage
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bobthebuilder

bobthebuilder
PostThu Jun 26, 2008 8:04 pm 
I thought of experimenting with small patches of velcro between my sleeping bag and mattress and between my mattress and tent floor to prevent slippage and wondered if anyone else had tried it and would share their experience?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostThu Jun 26, 2008 8:17 pm 
I used seam sealer. Since the problem was the slippery silnylon floor, I used GE silicone sealant diluted with odorless mineral spirits; 2 parts spirits to 1 part silicone. I painted stripes on the tent floor and my pad bottom. The stripes on the pad bottom worked better than the stripes on the floor. I would be concerned about velcro snagging the sleeping bag fabric, particularly if you have a lightweight sleeping bag like the Western Mountaineering "light" series.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostThu Jun 26, 2008 9:42 pm 
Ditto to the seam sealer stripes, it works great. I did it on the floor of my Tarptent and if I had to do over again I'd have painted on my sleeping pad instead. The stripes on the tent floor get dirt stuck to them which is hard to clean. Easier to clean the pad. But I dont slide around anymore!

Coasty
I like Salmon!

Coasty
I like Salmon!
PostThu Jun 26, 2008 10:08 pm 
Another vote for seam sealer.. I wouldn't want to damage my sleeping bag with Velcro. Also some sleeping bags make pad straps that are pretty useful if you don't toss and turn. Jason

http://www.BackpackGearTest.org The Most Comprehensive Interactive Gear Reviews and Tests on the Planet!
Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostThu Jun 26, 2008 10:43 pm 
Sleeping bag shell fabrics are pretty fragile, and adding velcro the way you describe would make the fabric load-bearing. If you don't want to change your setup using seam sealer is the way to go. You can apply it to both the top and bottom of your sleeping pad, so it will stick to your tent floor better and your sleeping pad will stick to it better. To state the obvious, finding a flat spot to sleep is the most important thing you can do to avoid slipping around. I can be pretty picky about where I sleep, and I always lay down on my sleeping pad and test out several different sites and orientations before setting up my shelter. Often you can find a "sweet spot" where the lay of the ground helps to keep everything in place. Lumps and bumps of all sizes can be used to your advantage. When you find just the right spot it makes for a noticeably more restful night's sleep.

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
bobthebuilder

bobthebuilder
PostFri Jun 27, 2008 6:21 am 
I assume the referenced seam sealer would be the mixture of silicone and mineral spirits that Tarp Tent recommends in a slightly thicker mixture to be used to prevent slipping. Since most pads and air mattresses have some type of rubberized base that the surface fabric is bonded to, is it possible/likely that the mineral spirits could soften or damage the pad or mattress?

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostFri Jun 27, 2008 7:50 am 
Yes, it is the mixture Tarptent recommends. I haven't seen any effect either on my Thermarest or my POE Insulmat air mattress. On the latter, though, the mixture tends to peel off after a while. Be sure to use the _odorless_ mineral spirits for dilution. EDIT: If you're trying to combat gravity rather than slippery surfaces (i.e. silnylon tent floor), this won't necessarily work. The only cure for the gravity issue is a level tent site.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey