Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bean Pk/Basin, County Line, Beverly Turnpike
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Jul 06, 2008 9:55 pm 
JimK proposed a nice daytrip loop in the Teanaway yesterday, and I was glad to go. There's nothing like the flowers in the Teanaway in spring, and the fragrance of the place is sublime. I knew it'd be especially beautiful given the forecast of clouds - they add so much to the landscape. Rich Baldwin and I did a sorta-kinda similarish trip a couple years ago, and I remembered the beauty of the County Line trail between Beverly Turnpike and Volcanic Neck. I had since declared it my favorite trail in the area, and was glad to go check it out to make sure I remembered it so. I am happy to report that I was right up.gif We started up the Bean Creek trail around 9:30 Sunday. Cool weather - perfect for hiking. Right off the bat, we were treated to a flower show. Later, we spent some time photographing the myriad of shooting star and white bog orchid at the crossing of Bean Creek. I got piqued at JimK 'cause he was taking too dang long - he had parked his hulking photographing mass right where I wanted to be.
A hiker photographing a scene on Bean Creek trail
A hiker photographing a scene on Bean Creek trail
There was an awesome shot of a white bog orchid that I had eyeballed. After much inner-harumphing, Jim's photoshoot was complete and I had my turn. Well....the picture didn't go doh.gif (I had my point & shoot, and it's hit-and-miss). Nice shooting star here though.
Shooting star at Bean Creek
Shooting star at Bean Creek
Shooting star
Shooting star
Headed up the basin on the boot path (which is better than some maintained trails).
Lawrence of Albania amongst the flowers
Lawrence of Albania amongst the flowers
Elephant head is not yet ready at the Basin, the buds are still tiny and tight, but present. Sedges, paintbrush are in bloom, however.
flowers
flowers
Paintbrush, shooting star, sedges, white bog orchid and yellow stuff
Paintbrush, shooting star, sedges, white bog orchid and yellow stuff
Lupine and sedges
Lupine and sedges
Gigantus desert parsleyus
Gigantus desert parsleyus
"Columbia lewisia"
"Columbia lewisia"
Monk's tonsure_just kidding I can't remember what this is
Monk's tonsure_just kidding I can't remember what this is
"white  bog orchid"
"white bog orchid"
Oh, and shooting star. I almost forgot to mention those.
"Shooting stars" "hiking in Washington" Washington"
"Shooting stars" "hiking in Washington" Washington"
We scrambled up the face of Bean Peak, rather than the walkup traditional route. Fun, interesting, pretty. There were 4 others on the summit. "Are you JimK?" someone asked. Cool. It turned out to be Just Todd, WAMtngal and 2 of their freinds. Small world.
Ham and Beans_Just Todd hamming it up on Bean Peak
Ham and Beans_Just Todd hamming it up on Bean Peak
flowers, snag and west_Bean summit
flowers, snag and west_Bean summit
We said our goodbyes and dropped down toward Volcanic Neck to the County Line trail. The birds here are plentiful; swainson's thrush in particular. ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS TRAIL!
I love this particular scene
I love this particular scene
County Line scene
County Line scene
We rested at the Fourth Cr jct, then out Beverly Turnpike to complete the loop. We were knocked out by the flower display on the Turnpike trail. Jeez. If you don't like lupine and scarlet gilia, don't hike here. If one were to wear colors like this in a single outfit, unless it was Halloween, they'd think you're nuts and you'd be put into an institution; but Ma Nature can get away with it.
"scarlet gilia" "lupine"
"scarlet gilia" "lupine"
Very nice trip indeed. Thanks to JimK for the planning, driving, and as always, a great companion on any trip.
Paintbrush and grey rock
Paintbrush and grey rock
Paintbrush on Bean Peak
Paintbrush on Bean Peak
paintbrush
paintbrush
Pink flower and rock
Pink flower and rock
Pink flowers and a snag
Pink flowers and a snag
Salsify
Salsify
"scarlet gilia"
"scarlet gilia"
Scarlet gilia
Scarlet gilia
green and blue grasses
green and blue grasses
wierd fringy stuff closeup
wierd fringy stuff closeup
A hiker descends flowery slope in the rain
A hiker descends flowery slope in the rain
Lupine slope1
Lupine slope1
A hiker photographs paintbrush on Beverly Turnpike trail
A hiker photographs paintbrush on Beverly Turnpike trail
Let the decay begin
Let the decay begin
Lyall's goldenweed
Lyall's goldenweed
Ho hum another lupine draped slope
Ho hum another lupine draped slope
snags
snags
Scene on Beverly Turnpike trail
Scene on Beverly Turnpike trail

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSun Jul 06, 2008 10:23 pm 
Always beautiful up there. The Bean Creek trail has got to be a new favorite of mine up there too. Great pics as always Quark up.gif

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSun Jul 06, 2008 11:24 pm 
Lucky Ducks. I've only been on that trail when all the flowers were dried up. Sounds like a great day. I'll be looking forward to Jimk's pics in about 4 days from now. dizzy.gif

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 8:02 am 
Great seeing you guys up on Bean - tis indeed a small world! And thanks to JimK for suggesting the County Line trail to the pass/ridge up Mary - what a pretty area. Even though we gained and dropped a good deal of elevation, it was nice to visit a new area. The flowers were just amazing. Simply amazing. biggrin.gif up.gif

Opinions expressed here are my own.
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 8:20 am 
The area was crowded with nwhikers - ree, Gary and I were in Bean Creek Basin Saturday. Rather than start a new thread, I hope Quark and JimK don't mind if I throw a few pics in their thread.
flowers at junction with Beverly Creek
flowers at junction with Beverly Creek
crazy hiker chick
crazy hiker chick
falls on Bean Creek
falls on Bean Creek
rushing water
rushing water
near the basin
near the basin
flowers and falls
flowers and falls
Bean Creek Basin
Bean Creek Basin
Earl
Earl
flower action
flower action
New moon Saturday night at Gary's cabin
New moon Saturday night at Gary's cabin
panorama
panorama

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 8:30 am 
What time were you guys in Bean basin?

Gil

Gil
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 8:40 am 
Was looking for somewhere to take a friend tomorrow! Looks like y'all had a great time.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 8:41 am 
I think we hit the trail around 11 AM and hung out until it started getting drippy, around 2:30 PM or so. All told, I think we saw about 20 people on the trail or wandering the basin with a couple parties camped there.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 8:52 am 
Yeah...the drippiness came and went all day, starting at 7am. rolleyes.gif But it definitely could have been worse.

Just Todd
Trowel Owl

Just Todd
Trowel Owl
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 10:44 am 
It was fun to run into you two up there too Quark and JimK, and yes, thanx for the tip of dropping down on the backside. LUSH is a good description for that zone. Our TR will be up soon hopefully - lots of pics. Our friends will be known from here on as Hi King (Tony) and Chaffed Junk (Kelley). They're lurkers for now but we'll try to get them to be certified posters soon. And Ree, Gary and Kleet, sorry we missed you - there were so many people up there I was sure we'd cross paths with more than we did (only a handful).

Sunset is an all day process.
JimK

JimK
PostTue Jul 08, 2008 9:24 pm 
Okay, it's time for my version of events. Grab some popcorn and get comfortable. The middle day of a three day holiday weekend and crappy weather. What to do? Kim joined me for an old favorite. A loop around Bean Peak in the North Fork Teanaway valley. Maybe going east would avoid some of the rain. In fact it drizzled much of the way from Seattle to Easton then did lighten up a little. There were 10 cars in the lot when we arrived at about 9:15 am. I knew from earlier reports that the snow in Bean Creek Basin had melted out several weeks earlier and hoped that the flower show had started. We saw some flowers beginning immediately. In fact, I saw some tiger lilies driving up the NF road though none while hiking. A quick half mile brought us to Bean Creek and the intersection of the Beverly and Bean trails. This is where I sprained my knee back in April. No snow left there now. A lone hiker stopped there mentioned that the Bean trail was boring with few flowers and the Beverly trail was much better. She was partly right.
Western Salsify
Western Salsify
Lupine Junction
Lupine Junction
Kim Crossing Creek
Kim Crossing Creek
Lots of lupine at the intersection and more flowers along Bean Creek. The crossing was no problem hopping rocks. Once on the other side the flower shot became really good. Blue lupine, yellow balsamroot, red scarlet gilia, and various whites and yellows. We were far short of the basin and the flower show was already worth the drive. The day was overcast and it really brought out the colors.
Scarlet Gilia
Scarlet Gilia
Lots Of Lupine
Lots Of Lupine
Balsamroot
Balsamroot
The trail is snow free to the basin. In fact we saw some snow on the backside of Bean Peak but did not have to hike in any at all. Soon we were at the start of the lower basin where the trail crosses the creek and heads up to the Earl Peak saddle. Lots of flowers here including a wealth of shooting stars, some paintbrush, and bog orchids. We went all little farther up the creek and then crossed.
Lone Shooting Star
Lone Shooting Star
Kim At Work
Kim At Work
Columbine
Columbine
The shooting stars kept going. More than I have ever seen at one time. The trail wound around and then climbed up to the upper basin. Some elephant head were about to bloom. There were some orange and red paintbrush but the bulk of them are still a week or two away. The shooting stars just kept going. Acres and acres of them. At the head of the basin we took a lunch break. with all the photo stops it was already noon.
Upper Basin Ablaze
Upper Basin Ablaze
Buttercup
Buttercup
Bean Peak
Bean Peak
I chose a route up the end of the valley directly under Bean Peak. Rather than grass and crappy scree heading up to the ridge this way is on better terrain. We found a few snow patches higher up and some glacier lilies. A little easy rock scrambling brought us right under the summit. The last section looks very steep but is not too hard to scramble if you have some experience. Kim had to trouble.
Pink Phlox
Pink Phlox
More Balsamroot
More Balsamroot
Above Basin
Above Basin
Earl Peak
Earl Peak
Glacier Lily
Glacier Lily
Judy Peak
Judy Peak
I popped up onto the summit and found four hikers already there. One of them said "are you Jim?" I recognized him as Todd at nwhikers.net. WA Mountain Girl was also there. They were in the area for a three day backpacking trip having already done Earl Peak in the morning. Above the basin it was just high white clouds. Once on top we could see the rain to the north and west heading our way. Oh well...
Iron In The Rain
Iron In The Rain
Bill In The Rain
Bill In The Rain
Group Heading Down
Group Heading Down
The others chose to head down the ridge to the County Line Trail then up to Mary Peak. We left later and followed down the ridge. There was one purple flower in the rocks that was especially pretty. With the wind blowing it was very unsummer like. When we neared Volcanic Neck we dropped off the ridge and were out of the wind. The County Line Trail is in good condition though a bit muddy. All the creeks are running. We had no trouble getting through the water and mud with mostly dry feet.
Bright Colors
Bright Colors
Kim & Earl
Kim & Earl
It was no surprise to see more acres of blooming shooting stars. They just kept going on and on. Nearer to Fourth Creek Pass we had some views to the Stuart Range. Still cloudy but less so than it had been on top of Bean Peak. We stopped near the pass for a break and had a view of most of Dragontail Peak. From there it was downhill to the junction with the Beverly Creek trail.
DragonTail Peak
DragonTail Peak
It was sprinkling on and off but we never really had any steady rain. That was surprising considering how ugly it looked from the top of Bean. Views to Teanaway and Bill Peaks went in and out of the clouds. Beverly Creek is not known for its flowers but some years are better than average. This turned out to be one of those. Lupine, paintbrush, and columbia lewisia then a lot of scarlet gilia. A real riot of colors on the otherwise barren slope of the valley.
Beverly Gilia
Beverly Gilia
Columbia Lewisia
Columbia Lewisia
More Lewisia
More Lewisia
Progress slowed again as we had lots of photos to take. The earlier comment that Bean Creek was boring without flowers was way off base. The comment on Beverly was right on the mark. From there it was just a nice walk through forest back to Bean Creek to complete the loop. A half mile later we were back at the trailhead. Most of the drive home was in the clouds and rainy. We had a great day of flowers and not bad weather either.
Bug On Flower
Bug On Flower
Peach Paintbrush
Peach Paintbrush
Final Flower
Final Flower
I usually do this hike in the fall when the heat is less unbearable. This year I was able to do it near the peak of the flowers without oppressive heat. A little drizzle is not such a bad thing. Kim and I managed a lot of photos, one summit, and a lot of solitude. Other than the one person at Bean Creek, a couple of hikers, and the foursome on the summit we only saw a few folks at a distance. Not bad for a Fourth of July weekend.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostTue Jul 08, 2008 9:42 pm 
Great photos! Do my eyes deceive me, or did you bring along your dSLR? Some nice macros.

JimK

JimK
PostTue Jul 08, 2008 9:53 pm 
You have a good eye. Maybe two.

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostTue Jul 08, 2008 10:07 pm 
JimK wrote:
Kim At Work
Kim At Work
That's a WTA magazine shot for sure.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Jul 08, 2008 10:09 pm 
Great TR and wonderful pictures people. Nice to see Q get to the top of something. clown.gif We were talking about the elusive white paintbrush the other day in the Teanaway, but 'Peach Paintbrush' is new to me.