Forum Index > Trip Reports > Julember at Lk. Augusta & Point 7571' - 07.04.08-07.06.08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSun Jul 06, 2008 8:22 pm 
What to do on the 1st 3-day wknd. of summer? Go backpacking of course! biggrin.gif Todd & I carpooled w/Opus & Karen to the Lk. Augusta TH & from then on (unbeknownst to us) it was essentially two separate trips, so O. may be posting another TR of his own soon....(I think Todd & I were only invited in order to cut down on the gas expen$e$ huh.gif ). Friday was a pretty nice warm day, though not the extremes that we had encountered in the Teanaway the wknd. prior. We left Seattle around 7:30 & then picked up Karen in Bellevue around 8, then took I-90 over Blewett Pass up to hwy. 2 to the bumpy rd. that led us to the Lk. Augusta TH. The parking lot looked like it didn't get much use as it was all grassed over & only 1 other car was there @ 11AM. confused.gif After slapping on sunscreen & bug juice we shouldered our packs & got ready to head up the trail.
Huge pack
Huge pack
Happy Todd
Happy Todd
The beginning of the trail for the 1st 1/2 mi. or so is VERY brushy. Good thing the bushes were dry or o/w we'd be soaked!
Up we go!
Up we go!
After a few switchbacks we took a quick break for a snack. Opus & Karen took off while Todd & I finished up. Todd has an interesting way of getting his pack on. dizzy.gif
Todd about to hoist his giant pack onto his back
Todd about to hoist his giant pack onto his back
Water was plentiful along the trail.
Water
Water
Soon I reached the 5000' mark. Opus & Karen were out of sight & Todd had been behind me though I hadn't seen him for awhile so when I managed to catch up w/O. & K. & they asked where he was, I suggested we should wait a bit to make sure he was OK. up.gif Well, after about 2 minutes Opus & Karen had had enough of that & said they were moving on. Little did I know @ the time, this would be the last time I'd see them for HOURS. shakehead.gif
5000' level
5000' level
Flowers
Flowers
I sat down & applied more bug juice as the mosquitoes were most annoying. mad.gif A couple minutes later I heard whistling in the distance. Not knowing weather it was Todd or a bird, I walked back down the trail a bit & whistled back. Soon it became evident it was Todd. He was walking slowly up the steep trail & stopping to bend over & breathe often. Good thing I had waited to see if he was OK. We got some water & then moved on. He said he was having some breathing issues, probably due to the elevation. frown.gif A bit later we reached the junction w/the Badlands trail & took another break near a group of 4 or 5 other backpackers. We thought O. & K. might be waiting for us here, but they were nowhere to be found.
Trail junction
Trail junction
Soon we came upon the high meadow w/beautiful wildflowers all around! @ this point it sunk in that O. & K. wanted some serious alone time & we'd likely not see them before the lake. Good thing Todd's breathing issues weren't too serious & neither one of us got injured, o/w we'd be on our own & the others would have no clue. rolleyes.gif
Burn area
Burn area
Trail through the meadow
Trail through the meadow
Nice meadow
Nice meadow
Todd @ the high meadow
Todd @ the high meadow
Todd shooting flowers
Todd shooting flowers
Shortly after the meadow we reached another trail junction & then the main trail switchbacks 4 times to the valley below. On the way, we saw a cute (not so bloated) squirrel popping in & out of a rock on the hillside.
Can you see the squirrel?
Can you see the squirrel?
We reached the valley & passed by numerous little creeks/falls.
Nice meadow
Nice meadow
Lil' falls
Lil' falls
Falls
Falls
After a few more breaks for Todd to breathe, we reached the lk. I managed to find Opus & Karen, who were kicked back next to their tent eating dinner already. I asked if they had even once stopped to wait for us/see if we were OK. O. claimed they did for about 15 min. one time, but then the main objective was to beat the group of 5 to the lake in order to score a sweet campsite. I then mentioned to them about Todd's breathing difficulty & then Todd & I found a spot for our tent across a snow patch amongst some trees. We quickly set up camp & made dinner. Opus made one appearance later that evening for a quick few words & then was back to Karen.
Campsite
Campsite
That night, the wind blew like crazy! I got slapped in the face by the tent; I think Todd had the non-face-slapping side. embarassedlaugh.gif In the morning Todd made oatmeal for himself, using his fireproof matches to light the stove.
Todd @ b'fast
Todd @ b'fast
Todd's b'fast & fireproof matches
Todd's b'fast & fireproof matches
Tent site
Tent site
Lk. Augusta
Lk. Augusta
White flowers
White flowers
I glanced over toward O. & K. & saw their food bags still hanging in the tree. A bit later Todd & I got ready to check out a waterfall & as we passed by O. & K. we heard some mumbling inside the tent so just passed on by.
Lilies
Lilies
Water
Water
After the waterfall, we hiked back up the trail, rounded the lk., & climbed up to Pt. 7571'.
Todd aside Lk. Augusta
Todd aside Lk. Augusta
On our way up to Pt. 7571'
On our way up to Pt. 7571'
Lk. Augusta as seen from Pt. 7571'
Lk. Augusta as seen from Pt. 7571'
Along the ridge toward Big Jim Mtn.
Along the ridge toward Big Jim Mtn.
Todd atop Pt. 7571'
Todd atop Pt. 7571'
Can you see the marmot?
Can you see the marmot?
It was a mix of fog & light rain today, so views weren't the greatest. After we scrambled back down the pk., we got back to the campsite area & ran into O. & K., who had just returned from climbing Big Jim Mtn. Todd & I wandered around the north side of the lk. which was really pretty w/flowers & little creeks.
Reflection
Reflection
Oops
Oops
Todd on the north shore of the lk.
Todd on the north shore of the lk.
Heather
Heather
Field of heather
Field of heather
Todd next to melting snow
Todd next to melting snow
Snow melt
Snow melt
Lil' falls
Lil' falls
Melting...
Melting...
Melting....
Melting....
Lk. Augusta & point 7571' above
Lk. Augusta & point 7571' above
Still lotsa snow
Still lotsa snow
We returned to camp & took a nap while the rain came down. We woke up around 9PM hmmm.gif & decided to just have a cold dinner since it would be getting dark soon & we didn't feel like fighting w/Todd's fireproof matches anymore. huh.gif We returned to bed while the rain started up again, but luckily this time it wasn't nearly as windy so I think I got more sleep. up.gif We awoke around 6:30AM to clear blue skies. cool.gif We went through a few more matches & got the stove lit & had a combo of last night's dinner & b'fast. Over the wknd. we went through 2-2.5 boxes of fireproof matches. eek.gif Time to bring a lighter! doh.gif
Wenatchee in the distance
Wenatchee in the distance
Lakelets
Lakelets
Todd's crazy morning hair
I snuck a peek over to O. & K.'s campsite & saw O. up & eating but not K., who was presumably still in the tent. Todd & I cleaned up & packed up for our 9AM departure since T. had to go to work in the early evening. We passed by the others to let 'em know we were heading out; they'd be shortly behind us.
Looking back
Looking back
Trail junction
Trail junction
We stopped @ the 1st junction for a pit stop & quick romp in the snow, meanwhile O. & K. caught up. Then we were off through the beautiful meadow area again!
Trail through the high meadow/burn area
Trail through the high meadow/burn area
Todd shooting pic of flowers
Todd shooting pic of flowers
Lupine galore!
Lupine galore!
Near the end of the meadow, O. & K. had actually stopped on a log for a snack. I captured a photo of the rare sighting:
Karen & Opus on log eatin' lunch
Karen & Opus on log eatin' lunch
Todd carried on as he wasn't hungry (for once!) & I soon followed. We got to the junction w/the Badlands trail for a drink & snack. O. & K. quickly passed on by; we were not to see them again until the car. Todd & I soon continued on down the steep switchbacks through the woods, & before we knew it we were back to the brushy section & then the car. A quick change of clothes & we were off. Here's my souvenir from the trip.
Souvenir
Souvenir
Back in L'worth we stopped for cold drinks & snacks, then on the rd. again. Only brief delays on I-90 between Cle Elum & the pass & the rest was smooth sailing. hockeygrin.gif EDIT: Todd's pics added below!
Burnt forest and Cashmere Mtn.
Burnt forest and Cashmere Mtn.
BC & Lk. Augusta & Todd's bright yellow tent (dot on right, center)
BC & Lk. Augusta & Todd's bright yellow tent (dot on right, center)
Spying on people at a little lake (bright green dot)
Spying on people at a little lake (bright green dot)
Cascading waterfall
Cascading waterfall

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Jul 06, 2008 8:41 pm 
i think this is a lesson on a partners hike. there should be some form of communication. *let's hike our own pace and meet at the camp site *let's meet in time for dinner *let's tent together and bs all night *let's share gas only *let's be responsible for our own self *let's ........ looks like a beautiful place and you and todd enjoyed yourselves. next time have todd take the pictures so you can be the main focus! agree.gif agree.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostSun Jul 06, 2008 9:10 pm 
BC - nice pictures up.gif I wanna go there agree.gif I got all dizzy reading your TR regarding O & K dizzy.gif huh.gif confused.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
Type E

Type E
PostSun Jul 06, 2008 9:20 pm 
It seems like that area is always windy. I spent two very windy nights there a couple years ago. It was really howling. E

superhikerguy

superhikerguy
PostSun Jul 06, 2008 9:25 pm 
Isn't it amazing that some areas are covered in snow/ice as low as 3,000 ft, but on the other hand, other areas are perfectly clear of snow and ice all the way to 7,000 foot level. huh.gif Great report and pics. up.gif

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSun Jul 06, 2008 9:40 pm 
Lets just say miscommunications and assumptions abounded, resulting in two unintended separate trips. After reaching camp and doing some chores we crawled into the tent. It was much colder than I'd anticipated and with all my layers on I was still chilly outside. It wasn't that much warmer in my Tarptent. But the harsh part was dealing with the wind - gusts I'd say 30+ mph fairly often all night. My Double Rainbow Tarptent fought it all night long, badly bowing and slapping me in the face, but it held. Cheers to you Henry Shires for building one tough little tent! I had my doubts most of the night though, and neither of us slept a wink. In the morning we napped late due to the lowered wind. Rolling out of the tent I walked over to find Fran and Todd gone, so we had breakfast and went on our way up Big Jim. On departure skies were blue but became gray and cool when we reached the ridge. Here we ran into a ptarmigan with several chicks. She distracted us wile the chicks fled into the rocks. We skirted around to avoid disturbing her further. Arriving on top we were treated to views of fog and not much else. It was starting to drizzle so rather than run the ridge over Pt.7541 we backtracked to the lake. Karen went in the tent for a nap while I poked around with my macro lens. Walking up towards a rocky outcrop I spooked a coyote, standing in the snow. We turned in early and each took a Benadryl for quicker lights out. The drizzle was continuing and I was really worried about the tent. There was a cigarette-burn shaped hole in the vestibule and several points along the pole arch were dripping slowly. I could see some loose threads. I hope the winds haven't damaged it beyond what some seam sealing can fix. frown.gif In the morning we hiked out under blue skies and warm temperatures. We yo-yo'd back and forth with Fran and Todd, before pushing ahead on the descent. My broken boots were giving me real grief now and caused a huge blister on the bottom of my heel. Towards the end it was like walking on a nail. I was incredibly glad to see the car! Full trip photo set here.
Brushy
Brushy
Meadows
Meadows
Burn
Burn
Red flower
Red flower
Blue skies
Blue skies
Out flow
Out flow
Lake shores
Lake shores
Fish
Fish
Ptarmigan and chicks
Ptarmigan and chicks
Summit view
Summit view
Balsamroot (?)
Balsamroot (?)
Flower
Flower
Alpine aster
Alpine aster
Stalks
Stalks
Bristles
Bristles
Larch hand
Larch hand
Larch needles
Larch needles
Trail junction
Trail junction
Tiger lily
Tiger lily

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSun Jul 06, 2008 9:52 pm 
up.gif To all of you. Lots of nice flower photos cool.gif If Scott and I had done some better research on Big Jim, we might have run across you guys at Lake Augusta yesterday. Instead, we tried for the North Ridge of Big Jim, tempted by the 12 mile round trip described in Smoot's Climbing Washington's Mountains book. Leaving the TH at 10:30 didn't help much either doh.gif

Knows literally nothing
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Jul 06, 2008 10:06 pm 
great photos, opus! love the red flower! hope your tent is repairable!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Jul 06, 2008 10:09 pm 
Ope, awesome photos. Enjoying the macro lense, huh? Lucky-duck. I recall horrendous brush at the beginning of that trail, too. The silvery snags are gorgeous with the flowers in full bloom; when PiB and I were there, that section of the trail wasn't in bloom yet, but the rest of the trail - oy vay! the flowers! The "stalks" are bistort. Gorgeous flower. I like the intersection photo - has all the makings of a magazine photo! "red flower" looks like a scarlet gilia invaded a lupine leaf. I'm hope the wind-battered tent can be repaired. If not, the conditions are still testimony for the durability of the tent; it didn't fail.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSun Jul 06, 2008 10:39 pm 
I think Todd has found himself a new look lol.gif lol.gif

Justus S.

Justus S.
PostSun Jul 06, 2008 11:47 pm 
Nice report, It's a nice place this time of year with all the flowers. I can't imagine hauling overnight packs up that long trail. It must have been a good workout. agree.gif

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 7:00 am 
Bet that was a fun car ride home! clown.gif

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Gil

Gil
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 8:39 am 
Share gas?

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
BPLlama

BPLlama
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 11:02 am 
Great pics!
Good job you guys! Looks like a 3days weekend well spent! I miss backpacking trips! Great macro shots. I have been dinking around with our new camera in town. When I get a better feel for it, let's plan a photo hike!

JimK

JimK
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 11:41 am 
I was telling Quark this weekend about the terrific wind that blew all night when I was at Lake Augusta. Tent bent down and hit me in the face all night long. Wondered if you folks woud have the same. Didn't take long into the report to find out. Opus, you left that warm and strong Nallo at home?