Forum Index > Trip Reports > Olympic Mountains Traveling Summit and Lake Register
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 12:54 pm 
Homes of the Olympic Mountain Traveling Summit and Lake Register: Oly the 1st: Buckhorn - Goats Gone Wild and HJT, retrieved by MtnWkr Oly Peak - MtnWkr, retrieved by Adrewzki Moose Peak - moosefish, retrieved by Ancient Ambler & Mtn John Grand View Peak - Ancient Ambler & Mtn John, retrieved by bobbi Mt. Jupiter - bobbi, retrieved by seattlehikertoo Mt. Rose - seattlehikertoo, retrieved by NWtrax Mt. Ellinor - NWtrax, retrieved by Shoo fly Colonel Bob - Shoo Fly (until it went missing in action) Oly the 2nd: Mt. Townsend - HJT, retrieved by HJT Welch Peak - HJT, retrieved by Jennifer S. and bobbi Maiden Peak - bobbi, Jennifer S, Jen's kids, Debbie, Cindy, retrieved by reststep Elk Mountain - reststep, retrieved by Captain Jack and Silly Traveller Blue Mountain- C.J./S.T., retrieved by Timmie and crabio Mount Zion - Crabio and Timmie, retrieved by ScottM Mt. Angeles - ScottM, retrieved by HJT Obstruction Peak - HJT, retrieved by bobbi, cindy songbird, & susie Ridge To Mt. Baldy - bobbi, Lisa & Neil, Debbie, retrieved by greendog Mt. Walker - bobbi, HJT, Lisa & Neil, retrieved by ADrewzki. Lower Lena Lake - ADrewzki, retrieved by Mossy Mom Ralph's New Place up on the Hill - Mossy Mom, retrieved by Olympic Hiker North Summit, Mt. Townsend - Olympic Hiker - retrieved by HiT Mt. Ellinor - HiT Oly the 3rd: Mt. Walker, North Summit - Hesman, retrieved by Ranger Rock Lower Lena Lake - Ranger Rock, retrieved by meck Mt. Muller - meck, retrieved by bobbi Lake Angeles - bobbi - retrieved by reststep Tyler Peak - reststep - retrieved by seekapeak Cub Peak - seekapeak - retrieved by meck Mt. Rose - meck - retrieved by Old Mountain Man Mt. Ellinor - old mountain man Missing in Action once again Oly the 4th: Valhalla Peak - reststep - retrieved by bobbi, blaze, bonita Eagle Point - bobbi & bonita - retrieved by Hesman Obstruction Point - Hesman - retrieved by meck (former) Lake Mills - meck - retrieved by bobbi Striped Peak - bobbi & Blaze - retrieved by reststep Green Mountain (Olympic National Park between Deer Park and Maiden Peak) - reststep - retrieved by reststep Silver Lakes Peak Buckhorn Wilderness (Peak 6030 above Silver Lake) - reststep: retrieved by bobbi, Michelle, and Cindy Bogachiel Peak-bobbi and Cindy E, retrieved it since no one else wanted to get it! Glines Canyon-bobbi * retrieved the register and placed it somewhere else. let me know if interested or just end it! Please link to OMTSR TR's to this thread if they are not posted within the Olympic Mountains Traveling Summit Register thread.

Wiki summmary last edited by bobbi on Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:53 am (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
Hesman

Hesman
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 9:01 pm 
For the time being, the register is to be placed on summits within reach of a day hike. Preferably no more than ~14 miles round trip. Once the register has been retrieved and placed on a new peak, post in this thread where its new home is. You may post a TR in this thread, or if you don't, please link to the TR in this thread. The register was placed on its inaugural peak Buckhorn Mountain, 6988 feet, by HJT and Goats Gone Wild on July 5, 2008. It is placed next/under to the summit rock. When you can climb no higher it is to your right as the summit is reached. It is pretty much where everyone who reaches the summit stops. It is a grey plastic cylinder with white caps. "Olympic Mountains Traveling Summit Register, www.nwhikers.net" is written on the outside. Link to TR.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 10:30 pm 
Where is the popcorn emoticon and how many PMs have you received? Good for you Hess. Edit: Is there a link to the TR?

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 10:42 pm 
okay! does one have to be a nwhikers member to retrieve it and place it elsewhere? are the rules written in the canister? how long can you hold on to OMTR before giving it a new home?

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
mtnwkr

mtnwkr
PostTue Jul 08, 2008 7:19 am 
I'll be there tonight. DIBBS!

There's a mostly unspoken acknowledgment among the voluntarily impoverished that it's better to be fiscally poor yet rich in experience-living the dream-than to be traditionally wealthy but live separate from one's passions.
mtnwkr

mtnwkr
PostTue Jul 08, 2008 7:33 am 
That is unless Silly_Traveler beats me to it.. naughty.gif

There's a mostly unspoken acknowledgment among the voluntarily impoverished that it's better to be fiscally poor yet rich in experience-living the dream-than to be traditionally wealthy but live separate from one's passions.
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostTue Jul 08, 2008 4:44 pm 
HJT-suggestion: repost original post as a wiki summary so the rules will follow each page and also date/location/ by example - Inaugural peak: 07.05.08 Buckhorn Mtn, 6988 ft. by HJT and Goats Gone Wild Retrieved on 07.08.08 by MtnWkr Placed on 07.30.08 Mt. Olympus 7962 feet by MtnWkr, etc. just a thought

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
mtnwkr

mtnwkr
PostThu Jul 10, 2008 2:50 pm 
Bagged and placed in the same day! Here's one for the off-trail crowd. up.gif I retrieved the register on Wednesday the 9th at 8:20 am, and it was placed on Point 6559 at 10:20 the same morning.
new resting spot
new resting spot
Point 6559 lies 1.4 miles north of Buckhorn mountain, or 2 miles north east of marmot pass. Its a ridge walk between the two and its stunningly beautiful! There is no trail leading to the summit but route finding is easy. From Marmot Pass head north along the trail toward Buckhorn lake, but instead of dropping down to the lake continue on the ridge and up to Point 6470, then continue on over and scramble up to Point 6559. The register is easily visible from the north side of the summit block. Enjoy! peace.gif
Buckhorn's visible from new perch.
1 label
Buckhorn's visible from new perch.
points 6470 and 6559 from Buckhorn
points 6470 and 6559 from Buckhorn
Pretty much straight up the middle of this picture, then over to the right and up some more
Pretty much straight up the middle of this picture, then over to the right and up some more
Point 6559 from point 6470
Point 6559 from point 6470
Cat coming down from 6559
Cat coming down from 6559

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Jul 10, 2008 3:08 pm 
okay then......may just have to retrieve it unless someone does it before the 18th of july!!

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Jul 10, 2008 3:23 pm 
Woohoo! The start of another tradition...

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostThu Jul 10, 2008 3:40 pm 
Very cool! Looks like we have another destination for this weekends trip out to Marmot pass. Of course not being Olympians, and not knowing when we'll be out there again, we may just sign it and be on the way.

reststep

reststep
PostThu Jul 10, 2008 10:04 pm 
up.gif up.gif up.gif MtnWkr Nice report and pictures. You beat me to it. smile.gif
reststep wrote:
If I come in possesion of the NWHikers Traveling Summit Register again I may try and place it on Peak 6628 in the Olympics. This is north of Buckhorn Lake and the coordinates are 47* 51' 10" N and 123* 07' 06" W I will name it "NWHikers Traveling Summit Register Peak".
This was from another thread called the Name Game and I see I put in the elevation for a lower point on the ridge. Anyway I declare that point 6559 is now called Reggie Peak if the Schmidts give me permission to use that name. It looks like another trip to Buckhorn Pass is in order. And thanks for creating the register HJT. up.gif up.gif up.gif Edit: Never mind I can't read my own writin. Point 6628 is the highest point on the ridge and the one I want to name Reggie Peak.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
mtnwkr

mtnwkr
PostThu Jul 10, 2008 10:29 pm 
I wanted to continue over to 6628, but it was looking sketchy and I don't think the girl I had with me could have made it. This was only her second backpacking trip ever and buckhorn was her first peak!

reststep

reststep
PostThu Jul 10, 2008 10:36 pm 
I was wondering if there was an easy way to get around point 6559 to get to point 6628. Maybe one possibility would to be head straight up the hill from the trail around the Buckhorn Lake turnoff.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Phil

Phil
PostThu Jul 10, 2008 10:39 pm 
Good job mtnwkr. Last time I was up in that region I recall looking over across to that ridge and wondering what it was like. Now I have a sense of that! up.gif

ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot

ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot
PostWed Jul 23, 2008 9:28 pm 
Mwa ha ha ha! I have the register! Will post TR tomorrow. 8.15 miles to the register. Sheesh. What a long day hike.