Forum Index > Trip Reports > Buckhorn & the 4th of July
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 8:14 pm 
HJT is going to do the official TR. I just wanted to post a few pictures before we take off for the Grand Canyon & beyond for two weeks. It was a fantastic trip. The most beautiful eye candy imaginable. The weather cleared just in time for us to watch the fireworks from our camp on the shoulder of Buckhorn. Here's my pics.
Clouds & trees - Buckhorn Camp
Clouds & trees - Buckhorn Camp
Sunset at Buckhorn Wilderness
Sunset at Buckhorn Wilderness
Big Quil Trail
Big Quil Trail
View from camp - Marmot Pass
View from camp - Marmot Pass
Fourth of July 2008 - Buckhorn
Fourth of July 2008 - Buckhorn
Sound of Music
Sound of Music
Traverse - Buckhorn Lake to Marmot Pass
Traverse - Buckhorn Lake to Marmot Pass
Blue green, yellow green, forest green - Buckhorn Lake
Blue green, yellow green, forest green - Buckhorn Lake
The Big Melt - Buckhorn Lake 2008
The Big Melt - Buckhorn Lake 2008
View from camp - Cloud Dancing
View from camp - Cloud Dancing
View from camp - favorite
View from camp - favorite
Marmot Pass - from shoulder of Buckhorn & camp
Marmot Pass - from shoulder of Buckhorn & camp
Camp Sweet Camp - Shoulder of Buckhorn Mtn.
Camp Sweet Camp - Shoulder of Buckhorn Mtn.
Camp from Heaven
Camp from Heaven
Hes & The Mountains
Hes & The Mountains
Obligatory shoe shot
Obligatory shoe shot
More cloud dancing - Buckhorn
More cloud dancing - Buckhorn
Cloud Dance
Cloud Dance
THE CHAIR
THE CHAIR
View from "The Chair II"
View from "The Chair II"
And another four legged friend
And another four legged friend
Four legged friend
Four legged friend
Another four legged friend
Another four legged friend
Wild flowers II - Big Quil Trail 2008
Wild flowers II - Big Quil Trail 2008
Big Quil Trail - Deep forest
Big Quil Trail - Deep forest
And some more four legged friends.
And some more four legged friends.
This trip had everything. up.gif up.gif hockeygrin.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 8:23 pm 
cool.gif We camped at top of the knoll to the south of Marmot Pass the previous weekend. I spotted the camp spot you used on our way down Buckhorn Mountain. It looked nice up.gif
goats gone wild wrote:
This trip had everything.
I'll say. HJT and dogs on the same trip. You didn't happen to stop by Costco or WalMart on your way there did you? hmmm.gif

Knows literally nothing
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 8:47 pm 
Very nice pics! up.gif Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the other TR. Gotta make it out there again soon...hopefully this summer!

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 8:57 pm 
Beautious Hike! up.gif What a beautiful lake too. Have fun on your vacation Goats. We'll be waiting for all the pics.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 10:53 pm 
Thanks MC!! Funny thing, I was thinking about you a lot while I was hiking up the Quil. I kept thinking, I bet MC would love this area, and as soon as her feet are feeling up to it, I'm gonna ask her if she wants to come here. agree.gif up.gif biggrin.gif GeoTom, yep, I paid close attention to your TR last week and really enjoyed it. up.gif Hes knew about the camp as he'd camped there before. I never would have known about it if not for Hes. HJT, you are a most wonderful guide & packing buddy. up.gif up.gif If not for you, I would never have made it to the top of Buckhorn. THANK YOU!!!! And thanks for always making sure the Goat was right behind you. hockeygrin.gif Your wildflower shots are spectacular. I think the "Columbine and Buckhorn" should be your new avatar. up.gif up.gif up.gif Our campsite had unbelievable views in all directions. It was great to watch folks climbing Buckhorn, watching them down at the pass & camped in the meadows, and I especially enjoyed the view up Heather Creek. I'd like to go explore that drainage sometime. The downside to that particular camping site was carrying enough water up from Mystery to camp for two days. I filled a 6L, a 4L, plus my 1L bottle. And when I was trying to figure out how to strap them on my already overloaded pack, I told HJT it looked and felt like I was carrying around Pamela Anderson's bobbies. He said they looked more like Dolly Parton's. I'm not sure whose they were, but they were darned heavy!!! The dogs were great fun to watch. They came in all sizes, shapes and colors. I was going to keep a digital inventory of all the four-legged friends I came across, but there were just too many of them. Plus, they were too busy having fun and exploring to want to stop and get their picture taken. hockeygrin.gif Well, I gotta get finished packing the car or I will be sleeping in the doghouse myself. Take care everyone! I'll catch up with the TRs, birthdays & thread length in 2 weeks. up.gif hockeygrin.gif Oh, oh, and HAPPY 30th BIRTHDAY in advance HJT. balloons.gif birthday.gif gift.gif candles.gif party.gif cheers.gif (Frosty Kempers)

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
silence

silence
PostTue Jul 08, 2008 6:17 am 
SWEEEET!! great pix of the beautiful scenery guys .. hjt you fleurs are awesome ... for some reason i've always missed the rodie occidentale bloom ... i'm sooo jealous .. ah, maybe a trip is in order .. these at the lake? btw: anyone know if you can get over to constance pass?

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
mtngrl

mtngrl
PostTue Jul 08, 2008 7:51 am 
Looks like a great trip. up.gif Great shots, both of you!

Canuck

Canuck
PostTue Jul 08, 2008 9:31 am 
Were you guys coming out on Sunday, the 6th? HJT, I swear I passed you on the trail on our way up, somewhere not too far before (after, for you) Camp Mystery... you look really familiar!!! There were a ton of people on the trail that day, and even more dogs! If it was you, we just said hello as we passed - we were huffin' & puffin' up the trail (they don't call it poop out drag for nothing, as we discovered!). Looks like you guys had a great trip!

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostTue Jul 08, 2008 10:16 am 
HJT wrote:
I was POTTY MOUTHING badly about the dogs. I think I saw some of GGW's hair curl.
up.gif up.gif biggrin.gif for the potty mouth agree.gif great hike and if mtnwkr or silly_t don't get the register, i might just do it!!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostTue Jul 08, 2008 9:13 pm 
Thanks for the great TR and photos, GGW and HJT. Looks like you had a wonderful time up there. Really enjoyed all the photos. A very nice mix of mountain vistas in different light and cloud conditions plus spectacular flower shots.

RodF

RodF
PostTue Jul 08, 2008 10:40 pm 
HJT wrote:
As we were going to bed we could hear a helicopter. When it was a tad bit darker I got out of my tent to see if I could locate the helicopter. It was flying in circles over Deception Basin. We could not figure out was it was doing. It finally flew away at about 11:00 at night.
According to the Park Ranger in Royal Basin, who was on the scene, a climber fell 300 feet on Mount Deception. Coast Guard helicopter attempted several times but failed to retrieve due to proximity to cliff, Navy succeeded after dark. Hiker injured - Kitsap Sun Teen Climber Rescued - KIRO-TV As of this morning (Tuesday), Ranger said she'd heard the climber is in a coma with serious head injury, and the outlook... is not good.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
RodF

RodF
PostThu Jul 10, 2008 2:27 am 
HJT wrote:
Not good. I figured it was a SAR in action. I heard two different helicopters. The coast guard must have been the first one I heard and the navy must have been the second one I heard.
Ambrose Bittner just posted a first person account of the events with photos. http://www.ambrosebittner.com/?p=13 Bridgett told me the fall was 300 feet, Ambrose estimates 500 feet. They relate identical details of the helicopter rescue operations. The happy news is that the climber is alive, albeit with serious brain injury.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva