Forum Index > Trip Reports > Small Hikers for all seasons
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostWed Jul 09, 2008 10:10 am 
Here's a brag book thread for all those out and about with pint sized hikers this season. Often we find ourselves on well traveled & documented trails that don't require a TR but that do provide great experiences & photo ops. Plus I'd love to have a PG rated thread that all my mini-hikers can visit to see what other kids are doing on trail. Please add your hikers of the future treks here! **Note** please add distance & elevation gain so others can determine if your trip may be right for their lil hikers

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Jul 09, 2008 2:20 pm 
Ford and I went hiking with Hikermama and her two kidlings last week. And the week before we did a bigger group Mom & Kid hike. No speed records, no feats of super strength to chest beat out. Just little kidlings out and about smile.gif I love those hikes! Kids can be easier to hike with I will tell you than some adults. Lets just say I had an adult tell me "that he won't hike with kids" and yet his attitude was worse than a 2 year old being deprived of candy mad.gif I went home and enjoyed Monday's hike with Ford. Hah. And Ford and I got a real hike in on Monday! The only whining was from me biggrin.gif Idiot.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostWed Jul 09, 2008 3:00 pm 
Talapus, Middle Fork Snoqualmie
sarbar wrote:
Ford and I went hiking with Hikermama and her two kidlings last week. And the week before we did a bigger group Mom & Kid hike.
Here is the detailed TR on their Talapus Hike Length: 2.4 miles one-way Beginning Elevation: 2600 ft Ending Elevation: 3600 feet and one from their Middle Fork Snoqualmie Trail trip.

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostWed Jul 09, 2008 3:06 pm 
Heybrook Lookout
Fuu, Dicentra & Hiker Mama did a great TR on their trip to Heybrook Lookout although 5/23/08 may not have seemed like summertime. Length: 1.0 miles one-way Beginning Elevation: 800 feet Ending Elevation: 1700 feet And another Heybrook TR by Geohiker in July with some river floating info for bigger 'kids'.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostWed Jul 09, 2008 3:28 pm 
Hey, Jo, you beat me to it - I was going to post links to our TRs, so I didn't have to explain things again. If anyone out there is new to hiking with little ones, I recommend checking out the Joan Burton book(s) Best Hikes with Children. up.gif Edit: I'm not trying to toot my own horn here, flowers.gif but I have posted many TRs over the past several years here and at wta that folks can search on to see if there is something they might be interested in. Other folks, like Sarbar, Dicentra, Fuu, Raising2Hikers, Canuck, and Moosefish (I'm sure I'm missing someone!!) have done lots of hikes with kids, too.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostWed Jul 09, 2008 3:35 pm 
Hiker Mama wrote:
Hey, Jo, you beat me to it - I was going to post links to our TRs, so I didn't have to explain things again. If anyone out there is new to hiking with little ones, I recommend checking out the Joan Burton book(s) Best Hikes with Children.
Ahhh, sorry, I couldn't leave your TRs out, they are right up this threads alley! Hope that you will be a consistent contributor since I remember you mentioned you want to hike several times a week with the kids suuure.gif And I would hope to see all those listed aboves TR links too! dance.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Jul 09, 2008 3:40 pm 
For those with young ones who want a really cool yet not hard hike, take them to Dege Peak at Sunrise up.gif Give it another week or two for best weather and go. Go early while it is cool as well. You have Rainier in your face the whole time and are either in subalpine trees or open. Views never stop. The summit is a walk up, nice and wide (do hold hands) with a kick butt view of Rainier, Adams, Goat Rocks, Glacier, Baker, blah blah. Even a 2 year old can do this one with lots of stops smile.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Jul 09, 2008 3:45 pm 
It looks like I did not post a TR last summer for Dege Peak here, but I did on my blog. We have done Dege twice in 2007 and in 2003 - in 203 we did it on 7/02/2003. Memory says we had a low snow year! Last year it was mid August.

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostWed Jul 09, 2008 3:57 pm 
Marsh Island
So now that Hiker Mama gave me a cheat list above, I can look up all you kid crazy hikers' TRs to add to the fray! Fuu at Marsh Island Moosejaw at Squak Mnt, Coal Creek Falls, Redmond Watershed Preserve with hiker Mama, and Bandera State Airport. Also Swamp and Big Tree Trails, wow what a mouth full! Canuck at the Nisqually Wildlife Rescue.

moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostWed Jul 09, 2008 8:35 pm 
Here's two more fun ones with kids. Snoquera Falls Snoqualmie Ridge trail

Canuck

Canuck
PostThu Jul 10, 2008 7:53 am 
Here's another one we did in April: Big Creek - Olympics Spider Lake in the Olympics (S. Fork Skokomish area) is also a great one for kids.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostFri Jul 11, 2008 10:14 pm 
Jo, that was quite an outing you had! It doesn't surprise me the last photo has the little guy asleep.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Jul 12, 2008 10:05 pm 
Jo you are totally amazing. Thanks for encouraging those of us with wee little ones to get out and hike.

mossy mom

mossy mom
PostSun Jul 13, 2008 4:18 pm 
Great idea! I'm going to take my 4 year old backpacking this week. She went on her first backpacking trip when she was about 4 months old. This will be her first trip where she will not be carried. We are only going .25 of a mile though..

mossy mom

mossy mom
PostSun Jul 13, 2008 4:20 pm 
Olympic Hot springs is a good hike for kids as long as you're not worried about them possibly seeing some nudity. ONP plans to destroy the hot springs soon.