Forum Index > Trip Reports > tyler+baldy+gray wolf 6-29-08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
b00

b00
PostTue Jul 08, 2008 4:54 pm 
tyler+baldy+gray wolf 6-29-08 this t/r is written by the winner of the "olympic downhill screeing champion!" participants in this trip also competed in the olympic distance events: olympic cross country, etc... tons of pics here really fun trip, open ridges. wide open views everywhere. ridge walks like this in the sun are what i wait all year for! inspired by a t/r's we had read earlier: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7966823 [url]https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7967667 [/url] we took the ferry over to kingston and drove to trailhead(see below). followed maynard burn alt trail which headed uphill directly from the trailhead. found water, a good stream at about 4700' and continued up past where the trail ended to the ~6000 saddle west of tyler and headed up the easy terrain to it's summit. signed the register. rode the ridge over to baldy, no register. from here the olympic downhill screeing began. i took the gold, leading wire to wire down the somewhat steep, but in perfect condition, scree slope. remember, keep your weight forward :>) we reached the saddle below, dropped all packs but one and ascended gray wolf, no register. we descended back to the saddle and picked up our packs. instead of regaining the top of baldy, we did a rising traverse right(northeast) around baldy via faint path that worked quite well.
shortcut
shortcut
once past baldy, we continued down to the regular maynard burn trail we spotted in valley below. i again took the olympic downhill screeing gold. in the valley we happily found water and followed the trail, which was a little hard to follow when it descended below the road a little, back to the car. good day! two gold medals and a silver! equipment: sunscreen, ice axe (not needed)
pilfered driving instructions: "Detailed Instructions from Luella Road (recommend using Green Trails map): 1. From Sequim State Park, drive back a short distance to the first road on your RIGHT - Louella Rd (or it’s the last road on your left before you turn right into the park). 2. After 1.0 mile, go LEFT on Palo Alto Road, following it for a few miles….at 5.9 miles it takes a sharp left turn down a hill in wide open country, then into forested land. 3. At first intersection, 6.6 miles, go RIGHT on 2880/Dungeness Forks. This is very steep and winding road down a hill – go slow. 4. At bottom, go across bridge and past the turnoff to Dungeness Forks campground and up hill again. At the next intersection, 8.3 miles, keep LEFT on 2870. 5. From there on, keep RIGHT at any major intersection. At 10.8 miles go straight, not left to Gold Creek. At 15.8 miles turn right on unmarked road. 6. Assuming no wrong turns, it should take you a little under an hour to get to the trailhead from Sequim. The road just ends at a berm, 17.5 miles. Limited parking there for about 4 cars. There is a larger parking area on the left just before reaching this area.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostTue Jul 08, 2008 5:05 pm 
fun TR.....congrats on your gold medal!!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Phil

Phil
PostTue Jul 08, 2008 8:40 pm 
Love the slideshow. up.gif

b00

b00
PostWed Jul 09, 2008 9:04 am 
Quote:
> Saw your trip report on NWhikers. Could you please give me a trail condition report on the Maynard Burn trail (which you took down) and on the way trail from the end of road 2870-120 (which you took up)? > > I got one other report that there's only one tree down, and it has been limbed so it isn't an obstacle. True? > > Size and location of trees down, areas that need brushing, etc would be appreciated. Olympic Nat'l Forest just assigned our Gray Wolf Trail Crew the job of clearing this trail, but we've got a lot of others to do that have real obstacles and are much more used, so I'm hoping this trail has no problems that are obstacles for hikers. (I cleared the lower Maynard Burn, from the trailhead down to Royal Creek, this morning, on the way in to finish up the lower Royal Creek & upper Dungeness trails.) >
both trails seemed quite good, except where noted. i did not notice down trees as none stand out in my memory. but that does mean there were not any. as for brushing, this trail did not need attention compared to many i have been on. btw - thanks much for the great trail maintenance! keep up the good work :>)

cartman

cartman
PostWed Jul 09, 2008 5:18 pm 
Another great day trip over there is Townsend/Welch/Hawk.