Forum Index > Trip Reports > Chain/Doelle Lakes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Leafguy

Leafguy
PostTue Oct 07, 2003 8:25 pm 
Took this trip in August of this year. The Square Lake fire closed the Chain Lakes trail the day we left although the fire was quite a distance away and the what wind there was, was blowing the smoke away from us. We started this trip via the Mill Creek Road, (FS road 6960, Stevens Pass Nordic Area) on the eastside of Stevens Pass. Go up this road past the chairlift to a very sharp right turn in the road. There is parking along the road there, or just a bit further past the corner where you see some signs posted on a couple trees saying something to the effect that there are no ski patrols in the area and you will never be found alive if you're a bad boy and ski past there. Just down the road from the sharp turn, 100' or so you will see the shortcut over to the PCT. This saves 2-3 miles off the PCT route from the summit guard station. Shortly after getting onto the PCT we passed Susan Jane Lake and proceeded to Lake Josephine. If you're looking for solitude, keep going past Josephine. The place is well trampled. At Josephine we got onto the Icicle Creek trial #1551 and proceeded on down the trail a couple miles to the Chain Lakes trail junction (#1569). This is a good time to rest and have an energy bar. The Chain Lakes trail is a doozy! You know you are going to be away from the pretenders when you get to the lakes. There are 3 lakes in the "chain". The 2 lower lakes have good "designated" camping spots. The middle lake also has a throne. We camped at the middle lake next to the outlet. After a short rest we caught several 6-12" fish. The upper lake is very shallow. I scared 2 fish away from rocks against the shore in 2-3" of water. There are obviously some predatory birds around. From the upper lake looking north toward the top of 6804, a very large rock has fallen over forming a large hole through the other side. There is also another large rock next to it that looks like a coyote leaning his head back to howl (Honest, I don't do drugs). The next AM we dayhiked into the Doelle Lakes. They're about a mile away with a 500' ascent and descent on the way. At the saddle above the lakes, stay to the trail on the right. There is one heading straight down through the loose rock but it's not worth the trouble. These lakes are beautiful and less visited then the Chain Lakes. And the fishing is even better. There is good camping at the NE end of the Upper Doelle Lake. My only regret about this trip is that we only had 2 days. An ideal trip would be 3-4 days long exiting through Frosty Pass and on down to the Blackpine campground (where my beautiful wife would be waiting with mass quantities of ice cold beer! I wish.)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Damian

Damian
PostTue Oct 07, 2003 9:11 pm 
Bop on over to Frosty Pass on the unmaintained but easy to follow route. Options are endless. Head over to Grace lakes and out the Wildhorse, or press on past the ladies all the way to Augustine. Done it a few times and never been sorry.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Oct 07, 2003 9:58 pm 
Nice report. WHERE ARE THE PICTURES? hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Leafguy

Leafguy
PostWed Oct 08, 2003 3:51 pm 
Sorry Joe, I need to get off my duff and figure out how to do it right with Photoshop Elements. Just haven't taken the time yet.