Forum Index > Trip Reports > Teanaway Twosome - Koppen Mountain and De Roux Peak 7.6.2008
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jhiker

jhiker
PostThu Jul 10, 2008 8:11 pm 
On Sunday, I headed out to the Teanaway and the DeRoux trailhead. My goal was Koppen Mountain and, if time permitted De Roux Peak. I hiked the De Roux creek trail to the De Roux Spur trail which forks off shortly after the first crossing of De Roux creek. The spur trail switches back and forth for about a mile where it reaches a pass and starts to descend into the next valley. From this point a trail leaves the pass and follows the ridge up to Koppen Mountain. The Koppen Mountain trail started steeply through an area of minor blowdown. After a while it leveled off and then got steep again below the summit. There was not much snow on the route and the trail avoided most of what there was. Only just below the summit of Koppen Mountain did I ever have to walk on snow. The summit view from Koppen is pretty sweet. Just about the entire Teanaway can be seen along with the Stuart and Enchantment ranges. To the west, the higher peaks of the ALW can be seen including Lemah, Chimney Rock, and Mount Daniel. It was too hazy on Sunday to make out Rainier but this would normally be visible as well. I descended Koppen back to the pass and then headed off to De Roux peak. There was only the faintest of boot paths to follow. The path stayed below and to the left of the ridge line and then crossed over the ridge after the second big promontory on the ridgeline. After this, I lost the trail in an area of heavy timber and snow. I realized that I had descended to far and had to climb, mostly straight up back to the ridge where I popped out after the third promontory on the ridge. De Roux is more of a high point on the ridge than a real peak but it is higher up than Koppen Mountain. Again, a nice view. It does not appear to be heavily visited. I did not see a summit register or even a marker. Heading back down to the pass, I followed the ridge line except to make one detour through an area of balsamroot. It was easier travelling keeping to the ridge top. Back to the pass and then back to the trailhead following the original route. This hike was a lot nicer than I thought that it would be. The route from the pass to De Roux was a riot of wildflowers. I saw some deer and a few elk but did not see a single person the whole time I was out. All in all, a glorious day in the Teanaway. Here are some pictures from the hike. There are more at http://www.flickr.com/photos/48897736@N00/sets/72157606095746628/
East Esmerelda and meadow near start of trail
East Esmerelda and meadow near start of trail
Small waterfall just past De Roux Creek crossing
Small waterfall just past De Roux Creek crossing
Mt Daniel and part of De Roux Peak
Mt Daniel and part of De Roux Peak
Mt Stuart  from Koppen Mountain summit
Mt Stuart from Koppen Mountain summit
Lupines, Paintbrush and Balsamroot
Lupines, Paintbrush and Balsamroot
Mt Stuart and ridge
Mt Stuart and ridge
Mt Hawkins and wildflowers
Mt Hawkins and wildflowers
South Ingalls Mountain and Gallaher Head Lake
South Ingalls Mountain and Gallaher Head Lake
Flowered field - Teanaway, WA
Flowered field - Teanaway, WA
Forest scene
Forest scene
Koppen Mountain
Koppen Mountain

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostThu Jul 10, 2008 9:32 pm 
Wow - those are some very colorful flowers. Nice TR & pics. up.gif Looks more colorful than when I hiked that pk. a couple yrs. ago.

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Meander
J Prettymountain

Meander
J Prettymountain
PostThu Jul 10, 2008 9:37 pm 
Holy lupines, paintbrush and balsamroot! That is a riot of wildflowers. Nice pictures!

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostThu Jul 10, 2008 9:43 pm 
That's certainly a very cooperative deer to stand there and pose for you. up.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 10, 2008 10:44 pm 
Quote:
Looks more colorful than when I hiked that pk. a couple yrs. ago.
Too much post processing IMO. jhiker, no offense, but your pics look unnatural to me. I think it's something in your post processing technique.

jhiker

jhiker
PostThu Jul 10, 2008 11:25 pm 
Tom wrote:
Quote:
Looks more colorful than when I hiked that pk. a couple yrs. ago.
Too much post processing IMO. jhiker, no offense, but your pics look unnatural to me. I think it's something in your post processing technique.
Yeah, I noticed this after I put them on Flickr. I wasn't real happy with the result. Am still learning and trying different things but this didn't work out so well.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Jul 11, 2008 12:02 am 
Where were the best flower patches at? Paintbrush, Lupine and Balsam together demands immediate attention. agree.gif

jhiker

jhiker
PostFri Jul 11, 2008 6:24 am 
Sore Feet wrote:
Where were the best flower patches at? Paintbrush, Lupine and Balsam together demands immediate attention. agree.gif
If you head up to De Roux from the Pass and stay below the ridge line and keep the ridge to your right, you will be seeing a lot of lupine and other purple flowers that I don't know the names of. There is some paintbrush and balsamroot thrown in as well but puple will be the dominant color. Under the fourth promontory on the ridge line is a big area of balsamroot. You'll be able to see this from far off. The hillside is very steep but worth the effort. There is a lot of lupine there as well and some paintbrush. The De Roux summit has lots and lots of phlox on it. It seemed that there were some good places to camp near the pass and even further up on the ridge.