Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Ellinor, 07/12/08 (Better late than never)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostWed Jul 16, 2008 12:57 pm 
The weather was fantastic on Saturday, so a trip to Mt. Ellinor would hopefully make up for the whole St. Helens fiasco. Unfortunately, we traded rain and fog for giant horseflies and goat crap on the way up, then poodles and idiots all the way back down.
View from the parking lot
View from the parking lot
Sign at the parking lot, just in case you thought you were already on the summit.
Sign at the parking lot, just in case you thought you were already on the summit.
Attention, morons!
Attention, morons!
Big Rock on trail up Ellinor
Big Rock on trail up Ellinor
The beginning of the trail is dry and clear of snow, winding through the trees about a mile or so until it opens up into a snow-covered clearing and splits off into the easy "summer route" or the steeper "winter route". This is also where the giant, blood-sucking horseflies will start boring into your flesh without mercy, so you won't want to linger here too long.
Gee, thanks.
Gee, thanks.
The Chute.
The Chute.
B-Dog surveys the route, idiots
B-Dog surveys the route, idiots
Why they had to haul 4 glissading idiots off the mountain.
Why they had to haul 4 glissading idiots off the mountain.
View from the Chute.
View from the Chute.
View from Mt. Ellinor
View from Mt. Ellinor
We opted for the road less-traveled, ascending right up the side of the mountain on the winter route. There is still enough snow in the chute for climbing but is very thin in places with the unsettling sound of water rushing underneath. I brought along my ice axe but stuck with my trekking poles for the ascent, no crampons needed. We also had to do some minor rock scrambling in areas where the snow had already melted off. In another week or two this route won't be traversable at all, and you'll have no choice but to contend with the whining weenies and fat chicks in tight shorts over on the summer trail. Then, again, the chute isn't perfect, either. The goats apparently think it's a hoot to let loose right in the middle of the boot path where there's no possible way to avoid it. But it was all fun and games for B-Dog, who kept shouting back down at me, "Got some more Hershey's Kisses for ya up here!!" Thanks, B-dog. I can understand your giddiness over the goat feces, but the novelty wore off for me after I stepped in the 16th or 17th pile. Please, folks, show some common courtesy and SCOOP UP AFTER YOUR GOATS.
Idiots competing for a Darwin Award.
Idiots competing for a Darwin Award.
Rocky Scramble up the chute.
Rocky Scramble up the chute.
Three Quarters of the way up, a small group of potential Darwin Award winners were climbing down the rocks with the intention of snowboarding down the tiny patch we were standing on. B-Dog and I watched as they spent 5 minutes strapping on their gear only to snowboard down a total of about 50 yards. Then they had to remove their gear, climb down some more rocks, and put their gear back on just to descend the next little stretch of snow and goat poop. It was a sad spectacle to behold, and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before one of them gets a free helicopter ride to Harborview. No sooner were we rid of the snowmorons than a big goat came ambling right down the chute to check us out. Once he was sure we weren't a threat to anyone but ourselves, Mama Goat and her kids made an appearance. Jr., the teenage troublemaker, followed close behind. While the rest of the family kicked rocks down on us, Junior had a grand ol' time charging down the chute towards B-Dog, then stopping few feet short and giving him the stare down. The whole herd behaved as if they owned the mountain, hogging the trail, chewing up the foliage, and generally acting like jerks. We had to wait there for 20 minutes until they finally got bored of us and left. Is it really too much to ask to keep your stupid goats on a leash, people?
Papa Goat checking us out.
Papa Goat checking us out.
The climactic finale of Close Encounters; Redneck Edition.
The climactic finale of Close Encounters; Redneck Edition.
Teenage punk goat shows B-Dog what he thinks of him.
Teenage punk goat shows B-Dog what he thinks of him.
Guess we know where all the flies are coming from.
Guess we know where all the flies are coming from.
Goat overlooking Lake Cushman
Goat overlooking Lake Cushman
Some more rock scrambling on VERY loose rock, then the chute opens up into a snow-filled basin. Then it's another scramble over a rocky hump, and from there you can see the last little jaunt to the summit. The summit was pretty crowded with people who came up the summer route for the express purpose of yapping on their cellphones and picking their noses. Others enjoyed striking poses out on precarious ledges hoping someone would photograph them for the cover of Backpacker Magazine.
The Basin at the top of the Chute. The trail winds up the rocks to the left.  Just follow the goat crap.
The Basin at the top of the Chute. The trail winds up the rocks to the left. Just follow the goat crap.
Check out the snowboard tracks.
Check out the snowboard tracks.
View of the Summit from just past "The Basin".
View of the Summit from just past "The Basin".
"Look at me out here on this ledge, everybody! I'm probably writing a Haiku or planning my spiritual journey to Tibet!"
"Look at me out here on this ledge, everybody! I'm probably writing a Haiku or planning my spiritual journey to Tibet!"
"Look at us out here on this rock, everybody!  Look at us!!!!"
"Look at us out here on this rock, everybody! Look at us!!!!"
"Hey everybody!  Look at me up here on this rock!  Look at me!"
"Hey everybody! Look at me up here on this rock! Look at me!"
Mutant Summit Rat with plague-bearing tick boring into it's skull. Mt. Ellinor. (Angry Hiker)
Mutant Summit Rat with plague-bearing tick boring into it's skull. Mt. Ellinor. (Angry Hiker)
Bdog tries to knock Summit Rat off the ledge with a carefuilly aimed rock.
1 label
Bdog tries to knock Summit Rat off the ledge with a carefuilly aimed rock.
Bdog looking around for some flowers to stomp on.
2 labels
Bdog looking around for some flowers to stomp on.
After a bite to eat, we began our descent down the summer route. If you could call it that. There was a staircase built right into the side of the mountain. Even then, the trail was packed with whiners huffing, puffing and griping about what a monster hike it was. They'd whine to B-Dog and then further up they'd whine to me. Folks, you DROVE 3/4 of the way up the mountain and had STAIRS the rest of the way up! What do you want, an escalator?
Escalator to be installed shortly after they tear down the viaduct.
Escalator to be installed shortly after they tear down the viaduct.
The first Glissade Chute.
The first Glissade Chute.
Glissading down the Summer route
Glissading down the Summer route
Looking across the sound at Mt. Rainier from Mt. Ellinor.
Looking across the sound at Mt. Rainier from Mt. Ellinor.
Lake Cushman from Ellinor.
Lake Cushman from Ellinor.
There's more snow on the summer route than the winter, but it is melting rapidly. We only got 3 good glissade runs before we had to hang up our ice axes and hoof it through the mud and goat crap back to the Meadow of the Giant Blood-Sucking Bats. Overall it was a great outing, and relatively quiet when you go up the winter route. If someone would just get up there with a hunting bow and clear out the goats (and the poodles), I'd highly recommend the hike.
Not one, but two.
2 labels
Not one, but two.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostWed Jul 16, 2008 1:17 pm 
rotf.gif rotf.gif I'll just take my trained backcountry canines up there and have them beat up all the city dogs. Once word gets out, people will stop bringing them around.

Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife
Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen
PostWed Jul 16, 2008 1:19 pm 
I love your trip reports. Keep 'em up. up.gif agree.gif

crabio

crabio
PostWed Jul 16, 2008 1:25 pm 
Oh Boy ... Sounds like the only real time one might be able to do this without encountering all the "extras" would be in the middle of a work week at 7:30 in the morning

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostWed Jul 16, 2008 1:30 pm 
smile.gif... hihi.gif ...lol.gif ... rotf.gif rotf.gif rotf.gif PS That gully is ugly without snow...I'm glad those goats didn't decide to play bowling for hikers while you were in it... paranoid.gif Fun report!

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
ree

ree
PostWed Jul 16, 2008 2:12 pm 
lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostWed Jul 16, 2008 5:13 pm 
your TRs are funny as usual! great photos, love it all! it's been six years since i've been to mt. elinor and this is of me and billy, up close and personal!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur
PostWed Jul 16, 2008 5:30 pm 
Thank you for the amusing trip report The Angry Hiker. up.gif I've been up Ellinor four times but have yet to see any goats!

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostThu Jul 17, 2008 1:18 pm 
Quote:
Thank you for the amusing trip report The Angry Hiker. up.gif I've been up Ellinor four times but have yet to see any goats!
If you go up the summer route, try going back down the winter route a little ways. We saw them right about at the top of the chute. And if you don't see any goats, there's enough fur lying around that you could probably make one of your own.
Goat hair on my pants. "The Hippies will pay top dollar for that stuff!"
Goat hair on my pants. "The Hippies will pay top dollar for that stuff!"

ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot

ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot
PostThu Jul 17, 2008 4:53 pm 
The Angry Hiker wrote:
In another week or two this route won't be traversable at all, and you'll have no choice but to contend with the whining weenies and fat chicks in tight shorts over on the summer trail.
Hahaha. Great post!! I was laughing the entire time. lol.gif

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Jul 17, 2008 10:03 pm 
No doubt Angry Hiker, you are the funniest TR writer on this site! Keep it up!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostFri Jul 18, 2008 12:51 am 
Angry Hiker, you are the best at these Trip Reports, I'm alway checking to read your newest adventure and get a good laugh! Keep up the great work!

Wildstar

Wildstar
PostFri Jul 18, 2008 5:40 pm 
I like going up the avalanche shoot, but I haven't done it for several years. There's a beautiful view at the top, but I've been avoiding the trail for reasons like this: Nice post and pics, Angry Hiker. biggrin.gif

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostMon Jul 21, 2008 10:05 pm 
This Poo is for You!
AH - Spotted on Little Si, a Poo-Poo. I think they were looking for you!
Angry Hiker, this Poo is for you!
Angry Hiker, this Poo is for you!
s.d.

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
my poodle and me

my poodle and me
PostTue Jul 22, 2008 2:20 pm 
petey the poodle
I take my poodle, petey into the backcountry all the time and I have to say there is nothing more satisfying than spending time alone with my best buddy out in the wilderness. I find so much joy watching Petey frolic around in the mountain meadows. you should get yourself a poodle and take him hiking, maybe that way you would be less angry.