Forum Index > Trip Reports > Olympic Mountains Register and another marmot pass
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot

ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot
PostThu Jul 24, 2008 11:40 am 
Not to be discouraged by last week's effort, I headed out yet again to Marmot Pass and peak 6559 to retrieve the darn register. And this time, I even brought a poor hapless victim who had no idea the pain that was in store for him! Kudos to Charlie for being a trooper! Left the house at 9am and the weather was a little cloudy and foggy on the drive up. Got to the trail by 10:20 and we started hiking. Atleast it wasn't hot and it would be a good day to break in the new boots. We passed by two groups during the first thirty minutes and then it was quiet all the way to Shelter Rock. Lots of campers!! At this time, the sun decided to finally come out and we had some nice sunshine the rest of the hike up. Without wasting any time, we headed on to Camp Mystery (more campers!!) and then towards Buckhorn. We got to the base of Buckhorn when Charlie says, "Is that where the thingy is?" "Uh, no dude. That's wayyyyy over there." (me pointing north) "Oh....so why are we climbing this?" "Um....I dunno. I guess it's kinda dumb. We can catch it on the way back if we have time." And so we backtracked to the ridge and continued on towards where I had been last week. This time, things went much more smoothly as I had an idea of where I was supposed to go. There was no trail per se, but following the ridge wasn't difficult and we were rewarded with some pictures of a mama bear and her cub and a young buck in the woods with velvety antlers. We trudged up 6490 and when I looked around, I saw what I had missed last week-the ridge to 6559. Enshrouded in clouds, it looked mysterious and magical.... It was hard to contain my excitement. I was so almost there. We mosied over and started looking for the highest point. We found it and the registry about twenty minutes later and then sat down for a snack and a well-deserved rest. GPS reported 8.15 miles, one way, just under 4.5 hours. Ridiculous. We headed down about 3:30pm to the car and the clouds were starting to roll in. The trip back was pretty uneventful. The only thing was that my knee had been bothering me all day and my stupid pride kept me from turning back. It was starting to swell a little and the sharp stabbing pain was starting to get more pronounced. I met Shawn's group on the way back and I was able to bum 800mg of Advil off him. Thanks! Other than that, the trip went pretty well.
Scenery
Scenery
I call this the "ugly tree." It's like the giving tree. It hands out ugly.
I call this the "ugly tree." It's like the giving tree. It hands out ugly.
The pass
The pass
Overlooking the pass
Overlooking the pass
Buckhorn from the ridge
Buckhorn from the ridge
Mama bear and her cub
Mama bear and her cub
Mama bear and her cub movin' on
Mama bear and her cub movin' on
Bambi!
Bambi!
Buckhorn from 6470
Buckhorn from 6470
6559 from 6470
6559 from 6470
Charlie & register
1 label
Charlie & register
Like a kid at xmas
Like a kid at xmas
Former location of register
Former location of register
This is the peak I scoured last week
This is the peak I scoured last week
I saw the sign
I saw the sign
Scenery
Scenery
Scenery
Scenery
Scenery
Scenery
Scenery
Scenery
Scenery
Scenery
Scenery
Scenery
Scenery
Scenery
Thumper!
Thumper!
Judo chop!
Judo chop!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Roald

Roald
PostThu Jul 24, 2008 11:47 am 
Congratulations, ADrewzki! Way to go at it again. up.gif up.gif

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostThu Jul 24, 2008 11:50 am 
You get the register, write a great trip report, and even throw in an Ace of Base reference - good job up.gif !
I saw the sign
I saw the sign

Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife
ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot

ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot
PostThu Jul 24, 2008 1:21 pm 
Roald wrote:
Congratulations, ADrewzki! Way to go at it again. up.gif up.gif
Thanks! Coming back down just didn't seem the same without you and your dissertation of Roald. wink.gif
Schmidt Alti-Dude wrote:
You get the register, write a great trip report, and even throw in an Ace of Base reference - good job up.gif !
I saw the sign
I saw the sign
What can I say? It opened up my eyes....I saw the sign. biggrin.gif

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Jul 24, 2008 1:55 pm 
yeah for drewzki! lucky you to spot a sow and her cub! fantastic!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Radnord

Radnord
PostThu Jul 24, 2008 3:51 pm 
Since I was up here also on the 23rd and 24th, instead of another trip report I will just add to this one. This is a great trail, very aesthetic and although deceptively steep, it is well graded. Lot's of good camping below the pass, which is good since there were a lot of people. Some folks I met said that it was a zoo last weekend and so I'm glad that I went mid-week. Although Wednesday was cloudy and foggy, Thursday dawned clear and sunny. Lots of wild flowers in bloom right now and line the trail on both sides. I'm really sorry that I missed the bear and cub; it looks like ADrewzki viewed them from just the right distance. If you have not done much hiking in the Olympics, this is a great on to get your feet wet, figuratively speaking....

To you, is it movement or is it action, is it contact or just reaction, and you, revolution or just resistance, is this living or just existance? Yeah you, it takes a little more persistence to get up and go the distance.
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Jul 24, 2008 5:47 pm 
radnord! did you see drewzki? you two could have a duo retrieval! good for you on your trip to marmot. it's a haul but worth it especially with the wildflowers up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot

ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot
PostThu Jul 24, 2008 5:58 pm 
Radnord! I might've even walked by your tent and didn't know it! We could've pulled off the tag-team retrieval. Maybe next one, eh? No pictures to add?

Radnord

Radnord
PostThu Jul 24, 2008 6:13 pm 
ADrewzki, I think you did on your way down. I was at Camp Mystery, near the upper end of the camp spots. (see picture of tent) I did not even think about the registry, I only went to the pass, not on any of the nearby peaks. Sure a lot less snow here than in the Cascades right now.
Clearing clouds
Clearing clouds
Camp Mystery
Camp Mystery
Looking up trail
Looking up trail
Flowers and ridge above trail
Flowers and ridge above trail
View from trail
View from trail
Toward Marmot Pass
Toward Marmot Pass
Looking down trail
Looking down trail

To you, is it movement or is it action, is it contact or just reaction, and you, revolution or just resistance, is this living or just existance? Yeah you, it takes a little more persistence to get up and go the distance.
ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot

ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot
PostThu Jul 24, 2008 7:37 pm 
Radnord wrote:
ADrewzki, I think you did on your way down. I was at Camp Mystery, near the upper end of the camp spots. (see picture of tent)
Yes, I might have actually. Did you lay down early? I remember walking by a tent that looks like yours and seeing someone napping inside. I felt kinda bad because Charlie and I were being kinda loud but it was probably before 7pm.

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostThu Jul 24, 2008 10:04 pm 
Good job Adrewski! Good TR and pics!! up.gif up.gif

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.