Forum Index > Trip Reports > Glacier N. P. 9/29-10/5
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Oct 10, 2003 7:02 pm 
Didn't know where we were going until I picked up my partner. Headed to Glacier. Lots of driving and lolly gaging around. 2 days and 3 nights at Fish Creek on Lake McDonald, one of the two that were still open on The Going To The Sun Road. A short while out of Kalispell we rounded a corner and saw the smoke. Oh @$%* we said. Spent the first day driving the 50 mile road. Took a good 10 hours with all the stopping an photos. The next day we headed to Logan Pass for a hike to Hidden Lake. Saw my very first Mountain Goats there. Got within touching distance but didn't touch. Neat critters. Lots of smoke. Only got away from it by getting elevation and then it would start rolling up in the afternoon. The campground at the lake was bad. We thought about staying at the other end but they had closed a campground because of the bears. No thanks. The last night we were going to stay but the smoke was so bad we boogied on out. Got a room and a shower. Nice. So any ways, a few photos. A few with color. Glacier NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Larry

Larry
PostSat Oct 11, 2003 7:50 am 
Newbie, you got some really, really nice images! Smoke or no smoke, looks like you had a nice trip. Thanks for sharing.

kiliki

kiliki
PostSat Oct 11, 2003 12:18 pm 
Wow! "Color" and the mt. goat pics are especially good. I've only been earlier in the season when it is really green, it looked so different in those pics. Even though it was smoky, hopefully you had a good time and were inspired to visit and hike at some later date.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Oct 11, 2003 12:25 pm 
Newt, (who is no newbie) where are the pics of YOU? TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat Oct 11, 2003 1:48 pm 
For Joe's eyes only. NN
Newt
Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Larry

Larry
PostSat Oct 11, 2003 1:52 pm 
Cool pic, NN! Judging by the angle of the sun, the ground plants, the distant hills, and the clarity of the atmosphere, I'm going to guess that you were at an elevation of oh....say....about 6600, maybe very close to 6700 feet. Just a guess.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat Oct 11, 2003 3:26 pm 
I do plan on returning. Hopefully Many Glaciers next time and hopefully in the fall. 6683' by GPS. I figure when the sign was put up, continental drift and the rising of the plates etc. But what's a couple of ' ? hehe NN