Forum Index > Trip Reports > TNAB defies Mt Defiance 7.24.08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostSat Jul 26, 2008 7:42 pm 
TNAB is a bit like Monopoly, when you're new to the family they make up all sorts of 'house rules' like you're not a TNABer until you've done 2 TNABs back to back & then only if they are both peaks, no lake trips need apply. Or if you post a TR on your personal blog before one appears here you will be nominated to get the ball rolling on nwhikers. Sooo since we'll only be new for this week (we're planing on next week's summit to move up to the pros dance.gif ) ***EDIT: after an inspection of the invisible rule book we will not be PROs until next season** here's the best short notice TR I got!
[color=darkgreen:348dd9f8c9]a little pre-NAB[/color:348dd9f8c9]
a little pre-NAB
We met Yet & Alexei for a bit of a jump start on tonight's TNAB challenge and caught a glimpse of Don's back as he headed up the road. Thanks to those already on trail, we had a well established route to follow:
[color=darkgreen:348dd9f8c9]old Mason Lk trail[/color:348dd9f8c9]
old Mason Lk trail
Up we went through the trees, along the waterfall system on the old Mason Lake Trail, across a boulder field or two, up some more and then lake, ho!
dip in mason lk
dip in mason lk
The dogs were swimming, the bugs were swarming, the peoples were snacking & the cameras were out. And within 5 minutes the rest of the TNAB crew arrived with nary a flush to their cheeks (well maybe the swimmers had red cheeks, but I didn't peek). **Yet has the photos for the lake dip stay tuned** This was the moment I made the biggest rookie mistake of my short TNAB career, I tried to keep up with the S Team!
[color=darkgreen:348dd9f8c9]zoom, zoom, zoom[/color:348dd9f8c9]
zoom, zoom, zoom
I should have noted that my experienced TNAB pace partner Yet was not making my same mistake. I bet she would have shared that perfect chair rock with me.
[color=darkgreen:348dd9f8c9]waiting for Rufus & Mark[/color:348dd9f8c9]
waiting for Rufus & Mark
But since I hate swarming bugs and love talking, off I went on Jeremy's heels. Scott just jogged along behind me with Z&A and waited for me to realize that we were 'hauling balls' (his words not mine). As Peggy zoomed past me it suddenly sunk in: the path was still going straight up and I wasn't going at all. So I let go of my social motivations & focused on making the summit. One by one, the TNAB swim team blew past us on their way to the peak. Scott & I took a minute to catch our breath and took some photos of the fields of flowers and open views around us.
still going
still going
Athena testing the trail for us
Athena testing the trail for us
Then it was summit party time, we could hear it, so we banged out the last few switch backs & spotted brownies and wine.
our first TNAB summit on Mt Defiance
our first TNAB summit on Mt Defiance
**Summit Photos to be added by Schmidt Altitude when they get back from the mountains** Thank goodness everyone else had the cameras going, my hands were doing the shake and I was quiet (if that tells you anything about my fatigue level). We ate, we drank, we posed for pics, and then it was a race against the dusk as we hauled ourselves back down the trail. Scott was revitalized by the prospect of nachos & beer at Pour House so we blazed along by headlamp light.
[color=darkgreen:348dd9f8c9]just follow the blinking dog collars[/color:348dd9f8c9]
just follow the blinking dog collars
I found that there is such a thing as too many shot bloks & when combined with a bartender's margarita there can be side effects... in my case, uncontrollable giggling. That reaction, combined with massive varieties of fried food and a great post hike crowd lead to the following: We heard ourselves say that we were considering TNAB's adventure next week. Insanity must be catchy. Guesstimated STATS: 8-9 mi, 3100 ft elev gain, 5 hrs approx

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Jul 26, 2008 8:05 pm 
A Few Pix
Bandera, Mason, Kulla Kulla
Bandera, Mason, Kulla Kulla
The Big Guy
The Big Guy
View East Kaleten Etc.
View East Kaleten Etc.
Smoggy View North
Smoggy View North

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
yukon222

yukon222
PostSat Jul 26, 2008 8:10 pm 
Thanks for doing the TR, Jo! Now, about those TNAB rules. You are aware of the 2hr limit, aren't you? 2hrs from TH to summit. Do you happen to recall your time? We most certainly want this Mt Defiance trip to count as # 1 in your TNAB career. But rules are rules. agree.gif winksmile.gif hockeygrin.gif ykm.gif breakdance.gif rotf.gif clown.gif
Mt Roosevelt and Kaleetan Peak
Mt Roosevelt and Kaleetan Peak
Rainier before sunset
Rainier before sunset
The Lykkens 2nd TNAB hike!
The Lykkens 2nd TNAB hike!
Lupine in light
Lupine in light
Rainier's alpen glow
Rainier's alpen glow
Tiger Lily - a few of them left
Tiger Lily - a few of them left
Sunset's soft light on flowers
Sunset's soft light on flowers
Schmidt Altitude viewing Rainier
Schmidt Altitude viewing Rainier

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostSat Jul 26, 2008 8:13 pm 
yukon222 wrote:
Thanks for doing the TR, Jo! Now, about those TNAB rules. You are aware of the 2hr limit, aren't you? 2hrs from TH to summit. Do you happen to recall your time? We most certainly want this Mt Defiance trip to count as # 1 in your TNAB career. But rules are rules. agree.gif winksmile.gif hockeygrin.gif ykm.gif breakdance.gif rotf.gif clown.gif
TNAB Rookies for Life!!! that's going to be my new screen name as I log in my 3hr summits bawl.gif

ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot

ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot
PostSat Jul 26, 2008 8:51 pm 
That was a great TR! I can't wait to see the rest of the photos from the hike. As for rules, did you observe the "TNAB rookies pay for after hike food and drinks?" lol.gif

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostSat Jul 26, 2008 9:10 pm 
ADrewzki wrote:
As for rules, did you observe the "TNAB rookies pay for after hike food and drinks?" lol.gif
HUSHH YOU!!!! stooges.gif

yukon222

yukon222
PostSat Jul 26, 2008 9:20 pm 
Now that you mention it, I distinctly recall having to pay not only for my food but also my drink! And I'm positive the 4 other people HAD TO PAY TOO!! eek.gif shakehead.gif Jo, didn't you review the TNAB rule book before beginning your trek? Sigh. Well, it will have to passed up to the Executive Committee for a ruling. wink.gif

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostSat Jul 26, 2008 9:52 pm 
yukon222 wrote:
Well, it will have to passed up to the Executive Committee for a ruling. wink.gif
I realized after some un-inebriated math that I accidentally lied about my age at the post hike too. I turned 34 last month and just kinda forgot. That must be a punishable offense... next round of cheesy tater tots are on me. Ohhh, too bad you can't have DAIRY! hungry.gif

gone

gone
PostSun Jul 27, 2008 8:14 am 
Nice work, TNABers! up.gif Great trip report, and I really like yukon's close-ups of Rainier! Still traveling too much to catch up with you all. After middle August I should be home for a while and will find at least one or two more Thursday nights to join the group before the season ends. Be safe!

drewcoll

drewcoll
PostSun Jul 27, 2008 12:32 pm 
Hah, my friends could not keep up with TNAB at all... we made it to Mason where we went on the new trail back down. The views from the Ira Spring Memorial were good enough for my rookies... sub-rookies? We did enjoy breakfast at Denny's in North Bend after we left early. Thanks for the report. I better head up Defiance soon! Looks like a very cool hike.

yukon222

yukon222
PostSun Jul 27, 2008 1:04 pm 
the lykkens wrote:
yukon222 wrote:
Well, it will have to passed up to the Executive Committee for a ruling. wink.gif
I realized after some un-inebriated math that I accidentally lied about my age at the post hike too. I turned 34 last month and just kinda forgot. That must be a punishable offense... next round of cheesy tater tots are on me. Ohhh, too bad you can't have DAIRY! hungry.gif
Dairy? I love dairy products. Don't know who you are thinking about. huh.gif Look forward to the free food! up.gif

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostSun Jul 27, 2008 8:21 pm 
Much thanks for the write up, Jo! It was a great turnout for one of the longer hikes we do. If only the bugs would go away! This was the first TNAB for Rufus!
Rufus Leads Mark to Defiance
Rufus Leads Mark to Defiance
I ended up getting two workouts for the price of one hike. shakehead.gif There will be changes made... agree.gif

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostSun Jul 27, 2008 8:49 pm 
Nice report! Well done for your first time. Was there still snow on the up up part of Defiance? There was quite a bit of snow there last week when I went up? I guess I can't be called a true TNAB since I make only the annual trip of the Winter Solstice. wink.gif cheers mbg

Yet

Yet
PostSun Jul 27, 2008 8:49 pm 
Very fun trip, fun TR, and just plain fun, fun, fun! TNAB, always an adventure. up.gif
The Lykkens: Now TNAB Vets!
The Lykkens: Now TNAB Vets!
Joseph and Damon go for it!
Joseph and Damon go for it!
The S Team arrives!
The S Team arrives!

BarbE

BarbE
PostMon Jul 28, 2008 8:53 am 
Great pics-nice report-really wish I could have been there! bawl.gif bawl.gif bawl.gif