Forum Index > Trail Talk > Front Page Photo? - Whatchathink?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostTue Mar 19, 2002 12:39 pm 
I like what Mtn. Goat said, too. As well as BC's post.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Mar 19, 2002 12:42 pm 
Do you guys truly believe that at simple photo whill cause someone, who wasnt already possesed to get to that location via their own energies, could make somebody all of a sudden decide to GET TO THAT LAKE? I dont think so. I agree with the stated position of the hassels of downloads and so on. But let's not get so affraid of sharing our photos because of that kind of fear. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Mar 19, 2002 12:43 pm 
Quote:
My opinion is that we have enough lake pictures on this site already and really don't need another. My vote would be to place Tom's picture from his profile as the opening shot and call it good! biggrin.gif
You making fun of my profile pic Randy? suuure.gif The humanity!!!

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Mar 19, 2002 12:59 pm 
"Do you guys truly believe that at simple photo whill cause someone, who wasnt already possesed to get to that location via their own energies, could make somebody all of a sudden decide to GET TO THAT LAKE?" Yup. People going to destinations in an essentially random manner disperses the impacts. A photo on the front page of a hiking website is basically an unintentional, but real, advertisement for that *specific* destination. I will not rehash all the guidebook/impact thread here, all I'm saying is that I do not find what I believe to be very real impacts a good thing and I do not support increasing those impacts at a remote site by providing a focal point for trips. Inevitiably people see a photo and decide they want to go there. Great, fine, and I do it too. That still doesn't mean I need to support advertising little visited sites. Go ahead and post the pics and the next thing you'll know, there will be requests for travel info on those *particular* photos, which is my point about random dispersal vs providing a focal point for visitation. Those folks will be doing precisely what you seem to claim will not happen!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers

PostTue Mar 19, 2002 1:03 pm 
Yeah Tom, how sunburnt DID you get that day! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Man, I'll say it again. we don't get far from that subject. Maybe Randy has a good idea, have the Front Page Photo to be random selections from the personal photos of our profiles. That oughta scare people off and out of the mountains. I'll be loading one into my profile within the next few days. eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostTue Mar 19, 2002 1:07 pm 
Yeah, your picture of "Iron Cap Lake" has me wanting to go there. Before that post it was a curiosity that I was going to try and hit "someday". Now I'm going this year. The black and white, direct overhead terraserver shots really don't do it for me like those nice shots taken at ground level.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Mar 19, 2002 1:08 pm 
Maybe what you say is true. I think you're over stating the issue. This site is not REI, nor is this site 101 hikes in the Alpine Lakes. Maybe your point is valid to the extent that a few people might chose to go to a place they've seen here that they wouldnt have thought about without the pic. I dont feel a few, or even 25 people going to an area or not will have any measurably negative effect on that area. I know how many places Ive been without leaving a trace. I cant be an elitist about this stuff. The few people this site might attract to an area is ok with me. Yo Randy, Iron cap lake is surrounded by ROCK! Your impact will NEVER be seen! Go for it! It's a beautiful lake! Do it late in the year so you can see some water. It's about a hour northeast of Crawford.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Mar 19, 2002 1:13 pm 
hence my vote for keeping any front page photo nice and vanilla.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers

PostTue Mar 19, 2002 1:15 pm 
I can't see how anyone can argue that a photo of a beautiful hiking destination wouldn't make any of us want to go there. That is obvious. Of course it does. The question is, is it bad, wrong , harmful, etc etc etc. I voted no pic, but if you went with one pic, like Scrooges Delta shot ( somewhere I'm not going) then that would be fine. tongue.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Mar 19, 2002 1:21 pm 
Pappy, my legs got sunburnt that day (forgot to put lotion on them). White is right. I don't plan to have leather skin in my old age tongue.gif. As far as the picture controversy, that's why I was suggesting not attaching a description and to display them at random. You can't necessarily have a discussion about a random pic.

PostTue Mar 19, 2002 1:42 pm 
I just thought a "signature" picture, something stable that could come to be recognized with this site, like Scrooges shot would be nice. Then again, my superior pic of Sprite/Rune would be nice too. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

catwoman

catwoman
PostTue Mar 19, 2002 3:25 pm 
I'm sure ya'all will have it anyway, but I think we've got plenty of opportunity to put pics on this site without having an additional page for it. And if a 'front' page is different from the main index page, I won't be visiting anyway. I keep my bookmark for the main index page. If it IS on the main index page, then it'll just slow everything down. Just my opinion - don't go throwing rocks at me or anything! tongue.gif

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostTue Mar 19, 2002 4:34 pm 
paranoid.gif paranoid.gif paranoid.gif paranoid.gif If we get any more evenly divided on this issue we could elect a President! Okay. How about a committee to select innocuous pictures, places like Snowlake that the world goes to, anyway, or Delta Lake, that no-one will go to no matter how much I promote it? I like pics. I like the way you folks who have websites select your frontpage pics. I like to be able to make copies of those pics for my files. And I like to be able to label them something besides "mystery lake". And, strangely enough, all those pictures of talus-rimmed lakes that y'all seem particularly protective of have not made me one whit more interested in going there. Finally, I think pictures of things like BJ's rigs and my marsh/lake, beach pics and Columbia Gorge waterfalls, all have as much place on our frontpage as the alpine lakes and mountains, 'cause all of those things are part of what we are. smile.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!

PostTue Mar 19, 2002 5:53 pm 
Scrooge, I love the photos posted here too. But I completely agree with MtnGoat and Catwoman regarding what it may do to logging in. If it slows me down then I'd just as soon skip it if I could. I still think your Delta shot would be perfect. Whatever is decided on I'm sure will be fine. But it would be nice if there was a photo file where we could view photos only.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Mar 19, 2002 8:19 pm 
A while back I asked about using an icon to link to NWHikers.net. I also asked about which page to link too. I was told the front page. Now if you or myself decide to link to this page or someone gets to it by a search, I thought it would be nice for them to see something pretty. Some decoration. Something that would keep with the theme of the site and give them a tasty first impression. I had no intention of a gallery. That?s could be another topic. I thought if those that were so inclined were to submit a photo to represent this site and have members only vote then that would be cool. If they cycled on occasion that would be cool too. In my original post I had in mind just a poll for having a photo there. It doesn?t have to have a caption, map and gear list required to get there. But I would think at least credits to the photographer. I would make a bet that most of us have the *MAIN* page bookmarked and not the front page (https://www.nwhikers.net/ ). Knowing a little about web stuff I know that the *FRONT* doesn?t load with the *MAIN* page. If I?m correct then it has nothing to do with your loading unless you load the *FRONT* page. So not to worry. A question for Tom? If page loading is a concern, look at some of the topics that have the photos load when you pick the topic. Complain about them also. We all look to see those tasty morsels that make us want to get out, take pictures and wait for the answer as to where they are. Something that irks the heck out of me is the secrecy thing. If these places are so damn special then quit talking about them. Do not show photos. And you damn well shouldn?t give trip reposts. If you do, guaranteed someone out there will figure out where it is and how you got there. Talk such talk behind closed doors. Even trip reports to very popular places will bring more. God only knows what that will do. So many seemed to be concerned about the masses tromping down the path and maybe seeing you and what you have seen. How many have gone before you to make the path what it is for you? So after all my thinking I have a plan.. Rename this place to NWHikers Gear and Technical Talk. Keep it just that. Access only with triple top secure passwords that have been issued only after a top security clearance has been issued. And then? Post no photos. Post no maps. Post no trip reports. Do not mutter a word of when, where or how. And if you?re really concerned about those special places think of all those that probably have already been there. This is the new millennia and a change to break new ground. Go to those special places but blaze your own trail. Leave no trace. Some day someone will mention your name as being a New Millennia Trail Blazer. Go for it. NN confused.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.