Forum Index > Trip Reports > Chiwaukum / Larch / Cup Lakes, 10-02-2003
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JimK

JimK
PostFri Oct 03, 2003 7:51 pm 
[extreme envy] Thanks Alan. It looks like I may not get in my annual larch hike so I appreciate your photos all the more. [/extreme envy]

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostFri Oct 03, 2003 8:07 pm 
Thanks Jim--- it was about as close to a dream perfect trip as I've had in a long time. I didn't get to any larch last year...actually this exact trip was planned for the last TWO years for me but two years ago I had to go to a funeral and last year's trip I got so sick I even bailed on myself. So it was a special day knowing how hard I had tried to get in there! Truly a place I'll try to get to every year or two. Maybe next year I'll free up my schedule to head up after larch hiking to help out on the work party weekends of wood cutting up at high camp for those folks too!

Reuben

Reuben
PostFri Oct 03, 2003 10:10 pm 
Thanks, soon the snow will take over. paranoid.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Oct 03, 2003 11:27 pm 
Good one for sure! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostSat Oct 04, 2003 8:44 am 
BPJ--- you been up there before I assume? It is so remarkable, and if you haven't then the extra work to go up to Cup Lake caps off a perfect trip. The tarns just west of Larch Lake were brewing with fish too---not big ones but 4-8" size and guess what: two belted kingfishers were up there fishing away! I have never seen belted kingfishers up at this elevation before so that was a new entry for my birding journals to say the least. up.gif Go now...it'll all be hidden by next Wednesday with 4000-4500' snow levels (freezing levels 5000-5500'). Wonder what I did with my non-shorts hiking pants....might need to finally start using them.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSat Oct 04, 2003 10:32 am 
oooh nice ones Alan. If I don't see any golden larches this year pictures like those will be some compensation! Sounds like you had a great trip.

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostSun Oct 12, 2003 11:35 pm 
Rather than edit the first post with new images, I'll just dump them here. Got my slides back and had a scanning frenzy tonight---well over 40 of them now safely archived digitally as well. smile.gif Here are some that I thought may be fun to share to add to the quick images I shared a week ago. G'day, Alan

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostMon Oct 13, 2003 5:06 am 
SUPERB up.gif up.gif up.gif Shots Sir Alan. I can't believe that this year I missed the Larch show (although I did try) but your pics really are (as usual) stunning. This is why I love NWHikers.net, where else do you see the greatest photography shared so willingly on the net. agree.gif agree.gif Thanks for sharing your great trip and photos.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Larry

Larry
PostMon Oct 13, 2003 8:14 am 
Truly great and wonderfully composed images. I bow to your larch, and to you. Man....stunning. The "island of larch" particularly moves me. Wow. But then again, so does the "vibrant larch and huckleberry"...hoo wah! There is a lot to be said for scanned transparencies. They just seem somehow "richer" than digitals..probably just my imagination (running away with me...). dizzy.gif

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Oct 13, 2003 9:35 am 
Very nice Alan. Haven't seen the Larch's in their Golden Glory yet but hope to soon. Missed them by a week or so last year. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
JimK

JimK
PostTue Oct 14, 2003 7:17 am 
Very, very nice. One vote for "Vibrant Larch" as the best of the bunch.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Oct 14, 2003 8:58 am 
Sir Alan, alas but NO I have not yet been into the Chiwaukum area. <sigh> What camera gear are you using for those BRILLIANT shots MAN? Mod note: photography related replies were consolidated here in the new photogrpahy forum.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln