Forum Index > Trail Talk > Car break in thread
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Jul 01, 2008 8:25 am 
At the Mailbox peak parking area Saturday morning (06/28/08) early AM there was the infamous broken car glass in the parking lot. I didn't notice any fresh breakins or breakins when I returned to the car. Probably an evening/night deal. Probably not a good place to park after dark. At least in the day there is a lot of activity between people arriving to do Mailbox and traffic up and down the road.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mount Logan
Canada's Highest

Mount Logan
Canada's Highest
PostTue Jul 01, 2008 10:32 am 
Toyota trucks are particularly hot targets for catalytic converter theft; apparently they have higher levels of platinum than other makes--and have higher clearance than passenger vehicles for easy access.

whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource

whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource
PostSat Aug 02, 2008 12:06 pm 
FYI 7-15-2008: "Acts of malicious mischief have recently been occurring at the North Fork Entiat Trailhead which leads to the North Fork Trail #1437, located 33 miles up the Entiat Valley Road"

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostSat Aug 02, 2008 2:04 pm 
whistlingmarmot wrote:
FYI 7-15-2008: "Acts of malicious mischief have recently been occurring at the North Fork Entiat Trailhead which leads to the North Fork Trail #1437, located 33 miles up the Entiat Valley Road"
Sarah scooped you Jimmy Olson. She posted the story and link on NWHinkers yesterday, its here smile.gif

whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource

whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource
PostSat Aug 02, 2008 5:39 pm 
Thanks for letting me know, I think. Wonder how I missed the post given it had such a specific title "Wenatchee NF update......". tongue.gif

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSat Aug 02, 2008 6:07 pm 
A bait car would be a great idea!

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSat Aug 02, 2008 6:25 pm 
Hulksmash wrote:
A bait car would be a great idea!
Then you could station a plinking Snowbrushy nearby the bait car. Yeah, that's the ticket. wink.gif

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
mtnrider

mtnrider
PostSat Aug 02, 2008 7:44 pm 
We parked at the North Fork Ential TH the week of July 15th and saw no evidence of any break ins. Nothing was posted at the TH regarding breakins! The trails leading from that TH had not been snow free for long. Poor pickings I would think. Mary S. Arlington

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSat Aug 02, 2008 11:28 pm 
More Cowbell wrote
Quote:
Then you could station a plinking Snowbrushy nearby the bait car. Yeah, that's the ticket.
I was thinking something more along the lines of a fake expensive looking gps, that dispenses a dose of pepper spray at the thief. Does't matter how high on what, there eyes will swell shut. And some camofauged servilance cameras, to capture the sceen, and post the video on youtube. So the idiots can't go out in public with out fear of being recognised.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Aug 02, 2008 11:30 pm 
And round and round again we go blah.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
AnalogDog
Yes, I am a dog.

AnalogDog
Yes, I am a dog.
PostSun Aug 03, 2008 12:42 am 
There is a post on northwestflyfishing.com about a guy who took a can of tear gas and wired it up to open when someone messed the the catalytic converter on his truck. Apparently he returned to seeing the can on the ground and signs of a dazed struggle to leave with the cat conv still intact and functional. I stand on neither side of this issue. I just think that stealing from cars at trailheads and fishing holes stinks.

Onward, through the fog!
snoholic

snoholic
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 12:32 pm 
Warning trailhead break-ins are happening in the Foss River zone. Yesterday a bunch of cars got hit at the Necklace valley TH. I happen to live on the Foss and it's frustrating knowing that these dirtbag thieves are driving back and forth in front of my nose:( If possible please don't give these scums of the earth reasons to get into your vehicle.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 1:05 pm 
AnalogDog wrote:
Apparently he returned to seeing the can on the ground and signs of a dazed struggle to leave with the cat conv still intact and functional. I stand on neither side of this issue. I just think that stealing from cars at trailheads and fishing holes stinks.
Surely you're jesting. How can you (ANYone) be neutral on such a horribly anti-social, criminal issue? Truly, with any conscience, how? And, "There is a post on northwestflyfishing.com about a guy who took a can of tear gas and wired it up to open when someone messed the the catalytic converter on his truck." And a most excellent idea! up.gif I detest criminals, and those who enable them!

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology