Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt Kent: 8/3/08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostMon Aug 04, 2008 9:10 pm 
Revenge Hike #2: Mt Kent: 8/3/08 Last time I made a serious attempt for Mt Kent, a small point release slide off the east slope of McClellan Butte ended the day early, but thankfully no worse for the wear. I know dicey got her revenge last year, but I hadn't found the opportunity. So along rolls a free Sunday in the middle of summer, and the option is to do yard work. I choose to hike! I got started at the McClellan Mulct at the gloriously late time of 12:30 PM. It didn't take long for my legs to remember the prior day's efforts - Oof. After 30 minutes, though, I was back in the zone and cruising. The second snow gully had me doing a double-take: definitely a no fall zone! I got there just in time to watch one young feller emerge from where a small tunnel had melted out. Safe, but cold and wet. I pushed on to southern-most point on the trail, some 2.5 miles from my start. Here, I dropped 300 feet down a talus field to the dirt road below. Following the map (and hearsay), I followed the road as it wrapped around the Point 4684' hill that lays between McClellan and Kent. As I rounded back to the south side, I ran smack into a caravan of Seattle City Light personnel. Not sure exactly what they were doing, but I was told kindly yet firmly that I should NOT be there - I was in the watershed. Oops! embarassedlaugh.gif Enlightened, I turned tail and headed back to where I first got on the road. From there, I busted through the brush and began a long, clockwise contour around the aforementioned bump, staying roughly at 4400'. I crossed several loose talus fields and employed vegetable belay early and often, arriving just above the outlet for lower Alice Lake. I made a risky outlet crossing (risk of falling in), ran into more brush, then even more open talus. I could see the dark forms of decent sized fish in the lake (trout?). I then set my sights for the peak due south, only to second guess myself, check the map, and realize I needed to go east of the lakes. Fingers crossed, I wandered up 500 ft of open talus, then back into steep-steep forest. Fortunately, my heavy boots were able to cut footholds through the layers of pine needles. I reached the ridge, but north of the summit. In short order, I was on top - or was I? That south peak sure looked close enough to be on par with where I stood.* I then examined a small cairn designating the high point, and withdrew from its bowels a soggy ziploc bag containing shreds of paper and a piece of tupperware. This was the summit register for Mt Kent, 5087'. Time: 3:30 PM. The views were nice to the north and to the east despite episodic low cloud cover. I phoned home with the happy news, swatted bugs, entered my name in the "register" (NaturealBeing was there on 7/11/08 - no TR?), swatted more bugs, and had some lunch before leaving. With the route now wired in my brain, I made short work of the return trip, save to circumnavigate Lower Alice Lake, and thus avoid a dunking. I was back on the trail by 5:00 PM, out by 6:00 PM. I was hoping to incorporate Mt Kent into the TNAB repitoire, but it's just a little too long and a little too sketchy to make it feasible. Maybe if someone would do some trail building...nah! I am now two fer two on revenge hikes - do you hear that, McGregor Mountain? agree.gif *I since checked my TOPO software and determined that the south peak is a good 80 feet shorter than the true summit. Whew! Pics:
Descent From McClellan Butte Trail
Descent From McClellan Butte Trail
Lower Alice Lake
Lower Alice Lake
Mt Kent South Peak
Mt Kent South Peak
Summit Cairn
Summit Cairn
Peek-a-boo of McClellan Butte
Peek-a-boo of McClellan Butte

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mntsun
Wunderer

mntsun
Wunderer
PostMon Aug 04, 2008 10:25 pm 
AWESOME! Not many can claim to have been to the top of the famed Kent Peak! As a TNAB? Uh, no. That is a taxing mountain, no fall zones=not good. Good work and congrats. You are certainly getting out a lot!

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostMon Aug 04, 2008 10:45 pm 
Mesahchie Mark wrote:
As I rounded back to the south side, I ran smack into a caravan of Seattle City Light personnel. Not sure exactly what they were doing, but I was told kindly yet firmly that I should NOT be there - I was in the watershed. Oops! embarassedlaugh.gif
Busted! LOL lol.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
huron

huron
PostMon Aug 04, 2008 10:58 pm 
Not being from around these parts, I had to look up the whole Chester Morse watershed thing. Turns out Seattle City Light built a dam there to power the city many years ago. So, not only is the watershed for the water supply, its also for power. Here's the history: http://washingtonlink.org/essays/output.cfm?file_id=2284

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Aug 04, 2008 11:19 pm 
Congrats Mark for getting it done, Should we rate it a II-4-PI* wink.gif PI = Police Inereference

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn